Never Enough Money

Default Wil this conquer cat ****?

My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Thanks for your feedback.

amby

Bleach will take care of it. It may take several applications. May
need to soak
in as it were.

In oups.com,
Never Enough Money spewed forth:
:: My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to ****
:: in off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside
:: she'l use the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.
::
:: So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
:: floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
:: underneath also reeks of canine urine.
::
:: So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the
:: odor although only half as strong.
::
:: I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint
:: over it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any
:: odor would waft up into the room?
::
:: Thanks for your feedback.

KLS

On 5 Nov 2005 18:40:22 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Sorry about the cat ****ing problem: try to address that behavioral
issue separately (make sure the cat doesn't have a urinary tract
infection, consider what new stuff is happening in the house (new cat,
dog, child?), clean the litterbox daily, etc.). Yes, you need to
either paint over or seal that OSB somehow before you put down new
hardwood floor. That should seal the wood, but make sure you don't
miss any nooks and crannies in the area. I'm sure simple cheap primer
would work fine for this application.
Ray

Thanks for your feedback.

There is a product sold in pet stores called Nature's Miracle. It will
break down the enzymes in urine and eliminate the odor. You might want to
check that out too.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Thanks for your feedback.

Colbyt

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Thanks for your feedback.

Paint the floor area with at least 3 coats per label directions of a product
called BINS. This stuff is shellac based so use cheap brushes and plan on
throwing them away.

Colbyt

Edwin Pawlowski

"Colbyt" wrote in message
called BINS. This stuff is shellac based so use cheap brushes and plan on
throwing them away.

Or properly clean a good brush and keep it for many years. The solvent for
shellac is alcohol.

Sacramento Dave

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Thanks for your feedback.

paint the floor with Kiltz. All that CRAP they see to get rid of the odor
gets rid of wallet money that's all. A house we bought had the exact problem
I just sealed the floors never smelled it again.

mike hide

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"Colbyt" wrote in message
called BINS. This stuff is shellac based so use cheap brushes and plan
on
throwing them away.

Or properly clean a good brush and keep it for many years. The solvent
for shellac is alcohol.

I think the answer to your problem is a very big dog....

Terry

Ray wrote:

There is a product sold in pet stores called Nature's Miracle. It will
break down the enzymes in urine and eliminate the odor. You might want to
check that out too.

I tried this, in a similar situation, and it didn't help at all.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
roups.com...
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

I ended up replacing the underlayment. In my case, you could smell it
in the basement as well (though not as strong), so I don't think paint
would have completely solved the problem.

T.
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

In addition to the other suggestions, I have found that plain white
vinegar at ~$1.25/gal at Sams is as effective as Natures Miracle.

Junior Member

Location: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enough Money
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner.....
I vote for Binz....several coats after several good cleanings.....can you get to the back side? if so, coat it too! That cat pee is something else! OSB is tough to deodorize. Check the cat's health and keep it's litter clean, add another cat box, maybe in that corner she likes....one more thought, vinegar seems to help kill that smell when cleaning it up.
lightlady

"Rich Greenberg" wrote ...
In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

In addition to the other suggestions, I have found that plain white
vinegar at ~$1.25/gal at Sams is as effective as Natures Miracle.

and if plain vinegar doesn't do the trick, apply baking soda then spray with
vinegar, let it foam and then wet-vac it up. I used this trick on carpet and
padding. thank goodness it worked, cuz i didn't feel like replacing the
carpet just yet.

--
lynn

SQLit

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to **** in
off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use
the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.

So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood
floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board
underneath also reeks of canine urine.

So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor
although only half as strong.

I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over
it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would
waft up into the room?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry to say I had one of these animals. I suggest that you fix the problem
with the animal before you try a new surface. My ex had a cat that refused
to use the litter box. ****ed and crapped in the bathroom. We tried and
tried to convince kitty that this was unacceptable behavior. Nothing ever
worked. One day she just did not come back. I always wondered if she found
a better deal with someone else. Can not say that I was sorry to see her
go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Never Enough Money

Thanks for the advice folks. We cleaned the OSB with detergent twice.
Then we painted it over twice. Then I put the wood flooring down.
Haven't smelled a molecule of cat **** since then. Even had guests over
for Thanksgiving and served them a huge meal within 3 feet of the
former **** spot....