Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Cat **** on Parquet Floor

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:10:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Is it possible to get several months' worth of occasional cat ****
out of my parquet floor without replacing it? The floor
doesn't look like it's been polished much, so it's basically
just wood.

No. Your alternatives are to seal the floor or replace it. The cat
**** is now permanently soaked in and unremovable.
DeAnna

Default Cat Whiz on Parquet Floor

I tried that with a hardwood floor. The enzymes didn't seem to work, because the urine was
soaked in so far. At least it didn't reduce the smell at all. (The house had been
abandoned for over two years, and was overrun with feral cats at one time). The nice thing
was, the cats had the good sense to all go in just one spot, in a corner of the kitchen.
The finish on the floor was bad, so it was exposed wood. I cured the problem by painting
the floors in that room with a commercial floor paint (like the kind used for decks and
porches. Being used for outdoor applications, it is waterproof and seals the wood totally.
Warning, it took SEVERAL coats.

Cleaning up the urine after a cat is never an easy task.

D.

wrote:

Is it possible to get several months' worth of occasional cat ****
out of my parquet floor without replacing it? The floor
doesn't look like it's been polished much, so it's basically
just wood.

No. Your alternatives are to seal the floor or replace it. The cat
**** is now permanently soaked in and unremovable.

I'm not so sure....if you got one of those enzyme cat stain removers, like
Nature's Miracle (you would have to get a *lot* mind, because it has to soak
through an entire stained area to be effective), isn't it possible that that
would work? The enzymes are supposed to 'eat' the stain and smell and
actually get rid of, not cover, it. Of course, covering it in more liquid
wouldn't do much for the state of the floor, but just might get rid of the
stink. Again, though, I would think you would need quite a lot of it, but
it's one other option to exhaust before giving in and replacing it.

Ann

Jarkat2002

Is it possible to get several months' worth of occasional cat ****
out of my parquet floor without replacing it? The floor
doesn't look like it's been polished much, so it's basically
just wood.

Good luck.
My old house the wood floors were just nasty from a former owner. We even
sanded and refinished the floors ... the cat **** smell was still there. We
finally bought the kind of paint that is used to seal in the smoke smell for
homes that have had smoke damage and put carpet and padding over it.
Finally, we moved.
IMO Cats are just nasty ... yuck.

~Kat

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
Lucky Numbers 1, 4, 19, 24, 29
DeAnna

BE CAREFUL!

Cat urine (especially if fresh) contains AMMONIA!!!!

MIXING BLEACH WITH AMMONIA CAN CAUSE TOXIC GAS TO FORM!

Make sure if you do this, you have plenty of air flow in that area, to avoid being
overwhelmed by the fumes!

D.

"blcker" wrote in message
.. .
Bleach! That will remove the smell. Make a 50/50 mixture of it and water.
Pour it on the area and wait a couple of minutes before mopping it up.
Worked on our hardwood floor.