C. S.

Default human urine on wallpaper

My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.
xrongor

"C. S." wrote in message
om...
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

of course you did. thats why you did it.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

forget the **** on the wall by the toilet. just think of all the **** that
gets aresolized when someone ****es (man or woman, regardless of aim) and it
floats around in the air until it lands on the soap and the toothbrush.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

lysol is probably as good as anything.

maybe im reading too much into this, but im sure you know about lysol. you
could have gone into the store and found some anti-bacterial cleaner. i
think you need to have a talk with a REAL doctor and find out the REAL risks
instead of playing the part of the overprotective parent with the resentful
child.

randy

In alt.home.repair C. S. wrote:
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

In the absence of a kidney or bladder infection, human
urine is not a health risk, and, after all, you're not going to be
consuming it. Further, the bacteria that do get into urine, to my
knowledge, are the kinds of species that are widely present in
any normal environment. My advice would be to worry about other
things, such as parasite and other exposures you get from
having a mammal pet.
The caveat here is that I have no professional training in the health
sciences, rather, I'm simply an active lay reader.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523
Edwin Pawlowski

"C. S." wrote in message
My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

It happens in every household. Invisible droplets or water splash during
urination and flushing. It can land as far as 6 feet away.

OTOH, urine is actually not harmful. Your first (and every) child will be
bathed in it in their diapers, just like the rest of us have for centuries.

I'd replace the paper with something washable, but don't panic about
bacteria. If anything, I'd fear using anti-bacteria soap as it kills the
good with the bad and breaks down the body's ability to deal with it.
Ed

Norminn

C. S. wrote:
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

There is probably not a toilet on the planet that doesn't have dried
urine that seeped under it. Not a big deal, IMO. I would change the
wallpaper, but only because I don't like urine on my wallpaper.

Unless a human has an infection, urine is considered sterile.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

Wipe it down with soapy water with some bleach in it. You won't be
breathing anything worse than you do when you empty the (yuck) cat box,
which can spread disease. I convinced hubby to get an exterminator by
telling him how roaches run though the cat box, snack on contents, and
then run across the dishes in the kitchen cupboard. Yes, they really do
do that. His cat would not have survived as long as it did if he had
not stopped walking on my kitchen counters and dining room table. Sweet
cat, and very trainable. Didn't like to be scolded.

Did you know people have mites living in their eyelashes? You inhale
bug parts when you sleep? Max. allowable rodent parts in a sack of flour?

xrongor

I'd replace the paper with something washable, but don't panic about
bacteria. If anything, I'd fear using anti-bacteria soap as it kills the
good with the bad and breaks down the body's ability to deal with it.
Ed

imho, this is exactly the problem. people try to 'sterilize' their home
environment but the world just isnt all that clean. i suspect that a baby
that was kept germ free for the first 3 years of life would have a tough
time if suddenly put out in the real world. that one commercial for the
sanitary wipes with the lady following her kids around wiping everything
just makes me cringe. pure scare tactic marketing.

i think it may be better to just let them roll around in germs and toughen
up. this is all purely my opinion....

randy

On 20 Aug 2004 08:30:00 -0700, someone wrote:

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Well, that's pretty common, its splash, not marking or even missing.
Look at any baseboard heater near a toilet; restaurant restroom, hotel
room, privatre residence, anywhere. After a few years of service they
are usually seriously corroded from the **** splash!

there too. Tell us what you find. You have been living like this all
your whole life, you just never knew it.

-v.

zxcvbob

C. S. wrote:
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

If you listen *really* closely, you can actually hear the invisible
bacteria partying and having sex in your wallpaper. HTH :-)

Bob

Bill Schnakenberg

zxcvbob wrote:

C. S. wrote:

[...]

I would think that it is a homosexual party and gay sex occurring.

JerryMouse

Norminn wrote:

There is probably not a toilet on the planet that doesn't have dried
urine that seeped under it. Not a big deal, IMO. I would change the
wallpaper, but only because I don't like urine on my wallpaper.

Unless a human has an infection, urine is considered sterile.

Survival schools teach that urine is drinkable for the first few days of a
disaster (after that it becomes too concentrated with minerals - just like
seawater).

JerryMouse

C. S. wrote:
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

Even if you do get it off, it'll come back.

Think about it.

zxcvbob

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

C. S. wrote:

[...]

I dunno, I didn't want to listen quite *that* closely...

Bob
mbrooks

Human waste can be filthy dirty, that's all. Urine usually starts out
sterile but acquires considerable nasties when left uncleaned.
Wallpaper isn't a good thing for a moist area like a bathroom. Tile
it. Beyond that, it's not too much to ask adults to sit down rather
than splash and at least put the lid down on the toilet when they
flush. This will also lower the filth exposure of toothbrushes and
bathroom soaps, lotions, etc.

(C. S.) wrote in message . com...
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

zxcvbob

mbrooks wrote:
Human waste can be filthy dirty, that's all. Urine usually starts out
sterile but acquires considerable nasties when left uncleaned.
Wallpaper isn't a good thing for a moist area like a bathroom. Tile
it. Beyond that, it's not too much to ask adults to sit down rather
than splash and at least put the lid down on the toilet when they
flush. This will also lower the filth exposure of toothbrushes and
bathroom soaps, lotions, etc.

Just try telling a woman to put the lid down before she flushes and see
how much good it does...

Bob
Bonnie Jean

"xrongor" wrote in message
imho, this is exactly the problem. people try to 'sterilize' their home
environment but the world just isnt all that clean. i suspect that a baby
that was kept germ free for the first 3 years of life would have a tough
time if suddenly put out in the real world. that one commercial for the
sanitary wipes with the lady following her kids around wiping everything
just makes me cringe. pure scare tactic marketing.
i think it may be better to just let them roll around in germs and toughen
up. this is all purely my opinion....
randy

Great big ditto. Germs are exercise for your immune system.

That said, I agree with the person who said the bathroom isn't a good place
for wallpaper. I wouldn't worry about the urine...just wipe it with soapy
hot water. Eventually you may want to take it down and paint with a
semi-gloss.

rck

Just try telling a woman to put the lid down before she flushes and see
how much good it does...

Bob

Yeah, they can't even put a seat down.

Bob

Bill Schnakenberg

zxcvbob wrote:

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

C. S. wrote:

[...]

Just an assumption on my part, since women don't usually splash on the
wallpaper. :-)
ameijers

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
"xrongor" wrote in message

(snip)
Great big ditto. Germs are exercise for your immune system.

That said, I agree with the person who said the bathroom isn't a good

place
for wallpaper. I wouldn't worry about the urine...just wipe it with soapy
hot water. Eventually you may want to take it down and paint with a
semi-gloss.

If the Lotto fairy ever smiles on me, the house I build is gonna have an Al
Bundy/Tim Taylor bathroom, completely waterproof, with a floor drain and an
raised-sill gasketed door. When it gets too grungy or smelly, just dog the
door shut, grab the steam hose from the rack on the wall, and start at the
top.

But short of that, yes, there should be nothing in the bathroom that can't
be wiped down or thrown in washer. Carpet and textured wallpaper in the can?
Nah.....

aem sends....

On 20 Aug 2004 20:55:04 -0700, someone wrote:

.... lower the filth exposure of toothbrushes and
bathroom soaps, lotions, etc.

There is really no good reason why toothbrushes, lotions and bathing
soaps are so universally in the same room as the toilet. The "toilet
room" doesn't have to be the "bath" room, if people would stop and
think about it a little. Yeah it saves plumbing expense to have all
fixtures in one little room, but that custom dates back to when
plumbing was a novelty and before "germs" were the concern they are
nowadays.

My toothbrush isn't in the same room as the toilet. Neither is my
bathtub. But I admit that's only in the main bedroom area, the other
"bathrooms" in the house are conventional all-in-ones.

-v.
Tracy

Bill Schnakenberg wrote in message ...

If you listen *really* closely, you can actually hear the invisible
bacteria partying and having sex in your wallpaper. HTH :-)

I would think that it is a homosexual party and gay sex occurring.

Which means your wallpaper is not only covered in urine, but also full of semen.
xrongor

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:52:59 -0600, "xrongor"

wrote:

"C. S." wrote in message
. com...
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

of course you did. thats why you did it.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

forget the **** on the wall by the toilet. just think of all the ****

that
gets aresolized when someone ****es (man or woman, regardless of aim) and

it
floats around in the air until it lands on the soap and the toothbrush.

Watch the show MythBusters (great show). They took on this very same

"myth"
to see if it was true or not. They set up tons of toothbrushes all over a
bathroom in different areas and used the bathroom for about a month. At

the
end of the month, there was no difference in bacteria on the brushes in

the
****ter as on ones in another room.

i like that show but often they fail to complete an actual scientific
experament as it sounds like they did in this case. what about the control
toothbrush fresh out of the wrapper? how did it compare to them? maybe
the **** averages out over the whole house. if its like other things ive
seen on that show they failed to use a control group. in any case im not
trying to scare anyone over **** floating around and im not one to worry
over a little **** on my toothbrush. if you have childeren, you have ****
all over the place anyway.

whats funny is that i actually know somebody that wont wear seatbelts and
even claims he knows the numbers and doesnt disagree with them in general
but somehow they dont apply to him. he smokes two packs a day but he
'knows' cancer wont get him. this same guy wont share a drink even with his
wife (who he kisses and im sure more than that), washes his hands before
every meal and after every ****, etc.. because he's scared of germs. too
much tv methinks.

randy

Al Bundy

"ameijers" wrote in message ...
"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
"xrongor" wrote in message

(snip)
Great big ditto. Germs are exercise for your immune system.

That said, I agree with the person who said the bathroom isn't a good

place
for wallpaper. I wouldn't worry about the urine...just wipe it with soapy
hot water. Eventually you may want to take it down and paint with a
semi-gloss.

If the Lotto fairy ever smiles on me, the house I build is gonna have an Al
Bundy/Tim Taylor bathroom, completely waterproof, with a floor drain and an
raised-sill gasketed door. When it gets too grungy or smelly, just dog the
door shut, grab the steam hose from the rack on the wall, and start at the
top.

Be sure to install the new Furgesson Ultra.
But short of that, yes, there should be nothing in the bathroom that can't
be wiped down or thrown in washer. Carpet and textured wallpaper in the can?
Nah.....

aem sends....

Yaofeng

"xrongor" wrote in message ...
I'd replace the paper with something washable, but don't panic about
bacteria. If anything, I'd fear using anti-bacteria soap as it kills the
good with the bad and breaks down the body's ability to deal with it.
Ed

imho, this is exactly the problem. people try to 'sterilize' their home
environment but the world just isnt all that clean. i suspect that a baby
that was kept germ free for the first 3 years of life would have a tough
time if suddenly put out in the real world. that one commercial for the
sanitary wipes with the lady following her kids around wiping everything
just makes me cringe. pure scare tactic marketing.

i think it may be better to just let them roll around in germs and toughen
up. this is all purely my opinion....

randy

Agree.

But here is something for you. How far do you go? We in the US enjoy
clean, potable water which eliminates many ailments associated with
handling of food. If you go to a country where water is sub-standard,
you are at the mercy of all kind of bacteria there. Where locals have
been very immune to them from exposure, you who come from the hygenic
US are easy prey.

I just returned from China last week for two and a half week vacation.
During that time I had three separate incidents of diahrrea.
Natrually the Imodium AD I brought made good use. I was quite
adventurous as food goes. My motto is if you can eat it, why can't I?
So I suffered the consequences as a result. Believe me, you don't
want to go through that experience.

zxcvbob

Ace wrote:
If you sprinkle before you tinkle be a sweetie and put down the seaty and
use it like us gals do.

I guess you didn't get the memo:

http://web.archive.org/web/200402131.../standing.html

Best regards, :-)
Bob
Katie

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:13:44 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Ace wrote:
If you sprinkle before you tinkle be a sweetie and put down the seaty and
use it like us gals do.

I guess you didn't get the memo:

http://web.archive.org/web/200402131.../standing.html

Best regards, :-)
Bob

Much easier:
http://www.freshette.com/usage.html

Katie
RGB

zxcvbob wrote:
C. S. wrote:
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

If you listen *really* closely, you can actually hear the invisible
bacteria partying and having sex in your wallpaper. HTH :-)

Bob

AS a side note urine from a healthy human does not contain any bacteria

Paintable Wallpaper Monica Home Repair 4 May 18th 04 11:59 AM
Paintable Wallpaper barry martin Home Repair 0 May 18th 04 10:51 AM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
applying wallpaper mural to sheet of plywood kdoret Home Repair 2 August 20th 03 12:40 AM
Painting over Wallpaper Kyle Boatright Home Repair 1 July 20th 03 03:11 PM