Monica

Default Paintable Wallpaper

We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall.
The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like
to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more
trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit
of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all
familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once?
Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count
on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on the
other three walls?
Thanks,
Monica

RB

The paintable wall paper I have seen most has been used in Europe for a
long while. I've only seen it in the US in the past 10 to 15 years. It
is a coarse weave, looking a lot like burlap, but it is a paper product.
It takes paint well and if primed should not be a different color than
a plastered wall. It can be repainted.

Removing is not too difficult except that by painting it you will make
it more difficult to wet. Steaming will be an easier way to remove at a
later date.

RB

Monica wrote:
We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall.
The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like
to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more
trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit
of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all
familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once?
Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count
on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on the
other three walls?
Thanks,
Monica

NorMinn

Monica wrote:
We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall.
The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like
to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more
trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit
of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all
familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once?
Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count
on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on the
other three walls?
Thanks,
Monica

The stuff that is designed to paint over isn't called wallpaper; it has
another name. It is heavier and thicker. French name, I believe.
Don't know how wise it would be to try to apply on top of wallpaper. My
mom painted over wallpaper, years and years ago, when latex paint first
came out. The paper started to loosen and come off the wall.
Fortunately, by the time the paste had softened, the paint was dry so
she could slap it back onto the wall. Kind of like an old Laurel and
Hardy movie )

Provided the paper was applied properly, it will take paint. I would
use a primer first, but I'm reluctant to paint over wallpaper. Would
rather take it off. Have you considered removing the paper and applying
a paint/glaze finish?

lounge_lassie

Years ago, I used to hang "regular" wallpaper professionally, so I can
only respond to that part of your questions, but I would imagine the
reasoning to be the same for "paintable" wallpaper.

First, wallpaper can be painted over. You would want to prime it
first, especially if the paper had a definitive or bold pattern or
color. This is generally the preferred route for most people wanting
a change. The second option to paper over old wallpaper (see below).
In either case, check to make sure you don't have more than 3 layers
of pre-existing paper.

Second, wallpaper can be wallpapered over again. In many of the older
homes that I have hung paper in, there were layers upon layers upon
layers of wallpaper, which I would systemically refuse to remove
and/or paper over. Ideally, you do not want to paper over more than 3
layers of existing wallpaper; it becomes too risky and too difficult
and patchy to remove. The combined weight of the paper and glue makes
it extremely heavy, and three layers are about all you really want to
push before damaging the wall.

If you do intend to paper over old wallpaper, I'd suggest adding a
little bleach to your glue--that helps keep the mold in check.
NorMinn

clipped

Sounds like you have experience in this area.

I've had lots of experience with other people's decorating mistakes.
I'd rather take the trouble of removing one wall of wallpaper than risk
wasting the money, time and effort if the new stuff starts coming off or
curling at the corners. Last time I checked, the textured coverings
were pretty expensive.