NorMinn

Default Paintable Wallpaper

Monica wrote:
We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall.
The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like
to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more
trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit
of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all
familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once?
Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count
on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on the
other three walls?
Thanks,
Monica

The stuff that is designed to paint over isn't called wallpaper; it has
another name. It is heavier and thicker. French name, I believe.
Don't know how wise it would be to try to apply on top of wallpaper. My
mom painted over wallpaper, years and years ago, when latex paint first
came out. The paper started to loosen and come off the wall.
Fortunately, by the time the paste had softened, the paint was dry so
she could slap it back onto the wall. Kind of like an old Laurel and
Hardy movie )

Provided the paper was applied properly, it will take paint. I would
use a primer first, but I'm reluctant to paint over wallpaper. Would
rather take it off. Have you considered removing the paper and applying
a paint/glaze finish?