In alt.home.repair C. S. wrote:
My husband and bought a 20 year old townhome a month ago--our first
house. Worried that one of my less well trained cats would start
marking his new territory, I bought a black light and checked all
corners a few days ago to see if my fears materialized.

My cat was exonerated. However, the old wallpaper around one of the
toilets had evidence of a human marking their territory (or missing
the target) on many occasions.

Do I have to replace the wallpaper (it superficially looks fine, so I
would rather not bother), or is there a way of sanitizing/cleaning the
wallpaper? The thought of invisible bacteria hiding in the wallpaper
grosses me out and worries me since I have my first child on the way
in January.

In the absence of a kidney or bladder infection, human
urine is not a health risk, and, after all, you're not going to be
consuming it. Further, the bacteria that do get into urine, to my
knowledge, are the kinds of species that are widely present in
any normal environment. My advice would be to worry about other
things, such as parasite and other exposures you get from
having a mammal pet.
The caveat here is that I have no professional training in the health
sciences, rather, I'm simply an active lay reader.
--
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523