Al

Default Vacuum smells like dog!

When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.

We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!

Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

wayne

you can buy scented beads you vacuum up that help stop odors. Have you
made sure you have cleaned you bags?

http://www.rubber-ducky.com/thegoodh...cuumbeads.html

Wayne

Al wrote:

When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.

We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!

Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Al" wrote in message
oups.com...
When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.

We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!

Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

Switching brand will not help. You have a used dead dog living in your
vacuum cleaner. Hair, dander, flakes of dried skin. You're family's dried
old skin is in there also. If you don't believe this, just take your dog
into the low rays of the sun and brush his hair. Amazing, huh?

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

That is the major culprit necessitating regular cleaning incl/
shampooing of the popular pebble-tec floorin that folks are installing
on interior floors. The stuff's porous and all those little flakes of
dead skin from feet and other debris will make the room smell like a
gymnasium if not kept constantly clean.
Lee

Al WROTE:
When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.

We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!

Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

Try putting in one of those softener things the wives put in with the
laundry it will make the air smell better coming out and in my house I
have 2 Belgian Shepard (long hair) and I vacuum twice a week with no
smell. Each time I vac I get enough hair to fill the baggless container.

Lee

Al

Thanks for the advice, but I should stress:
-We use a bagless vacuum, and have thoroughly cleaned it twice.
-Bichons don't shed hair (though I realize that like all dogs
they shed skin flakes, etc.). They're known as a great breed
for people with allergies.
-The Hoover blows dust.
-We've tried a baking-soda based deodorizer, but it didn't
really work.
-There is no dog smell in the house--this just occurs on
vacuuming.

Any more suggestions on a new vacuum, or how to stop this
smell when we vac?

Amun

"Al" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advice, but I should stress:
-We use a bagless vacuum, and have thoroughly cleaned it twice.
-Bichons don't shed hair (though I realize that like all dogs
they shed skin flakes, etc.). They're known as a great breed
for people with allergies.
-The Hoover blows dust.
-We've tried a baking-soda based deodorizer, but it didn't
really work.
-There is no dog smell in the house--this just occurs on
vacuuming.

Any more suggestions on a new vacuum, or how to stop this
smell when we vac?

1. Steam clean the carpet

2. Central vac, vented to the outdoors

3. Replace the carpet

You may not smell the dogs in the house, but I'll bet your guests can, but
may be too polite to comment.
The vacuum just pulls the smell out of the carpet, it won't make it's own
smells.

But if your present vacuum is blowing dust, you have a second problem.

AMUN

Edwin Pawlowski

"Al" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice, but I should stress:
-We use a bagless vacuum, and have thoroughly cleaned it twice.

That is good. You don't want stuff laying in the decaying.

-Bichons don't shed hair (though I realize that like all dogs
they shed skin flakes, etc.). They're known as a great breed
for people with allergies.

OK, but no dog is free of everything. they still have odor causing elements
about them, just like every animal and you and me too.

-The Hoover blows dust.

That is not good. Is there a filter missing? If not, maybe a new vac is
needed anyway as it is just making things worse as is. Get one with a HEPA
filter.

-We've tried a baking-soda based deodorizer, but it didn't
really work.

Over rated

-There is no dog smell in the house--this just occurs on
vacuuming.

There is dog smell in the house, you just don't detect it. How do you think
people survive at jobs in landfills and sewage treatment pants? They become
immune to the smell, just like you have to your dog. The odor causeing
parts of the dog are scattered around the house, on floors, on table tops,
drapes, etc. Now you pick th em up and concentrate them inside the vacuum
cleaner and then you blow a lot of air across the top of it. Instant dog.
There may be other factors in your air that are making it even worse.

Any more suggestions on a new vacuum, or how to stop this
smell when we vac?

Nose plugs.

Chuck B.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Read the latest issue of Consumer Reports. Big article about Vacuums. No
bag you will get dust and smell.
Goedjn

really work.
-There is no dog smell in the house--this just occurs on
vacuuming.

Any more suggestions on a new vacuum, or how to stop this
smell when we vac?

What are the rugs made out of, and what's under them?

willshak

On 9/25/2005 9:03 PM US(ET), Al took fingers to keyboard, and typed the
following:

Thanks for the advice, but I should stress:
-We use a bagless vacuum, and have thoroughly cleaned it twice.
-Bichons don't shed hair (though I realize that like all dogs
they shed skin flakes, etc.). They're known as a great breed
for people with allergies.
-The Hoover blows dust.
-We've tried a baking-soda based deodorizer, but it didn't
really work.
-There is no dog smell in the house--this just occurs on
vacuuming.

Any more suggestions on a new vacuum, or how to stop this
smell when we vac?

Two types come to mind:
1. Rainbow vacuum. Dirt/dust drops into a water reservoir
2. Central vacuum. Dirt/Dust contained in unit and fine dust and odors
are vented outside.
The first requires no renovations to the house, and is pretty expensive.
The second type could be cheaper, or as expensive as the first, if you
just bought the parts and installed it yourself.

--
Bill
Al

I'm pretty sure that the post that suggested the problem lies with our
bagless vac is on target. I'm going to check the relevant issue of
Consumer Reports. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Al, Michael Thomas wrote:
acunniff wrote:

When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.
We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!
Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

I used to have that problem. I owned a Kirby G6 best of the best or so I
thought...
Didn't own a dog and my vac would smell up the entire house every
saturday. I used the HEPA bags and did everything that I was supposed to
but nothing helped. Then I had a Rainbow sales lady show up. She did a few
simple demonstrations:

1 She held a spotlight next to my bag while the Kirby was running but not
picking up dirt (looked like a dustbowl in the midwest)
2 She held up the same spotlight next to the Rainbow NO DUST AT ALL
Rainbow filters with water (wet dirt don't fly)
3 Had me vacuum a high traffic area 1ft by 2ft for several minutes until I
was sure it was clean (so I thought)
4 Went over the same area with the Rainbow 1 time and picked up a handful
of dirt I was shocked and sold
Then came the sticker shock $3500 I was impressed but not that impressed.
So off I go to Craigslist and found a second hand previous generation
Rainbow for $150 that price I can handle. Of course this machine was only
about 80% of the power and cleaning ability (still way better than any
other machine you can buy). Bonus: it was a fraction of the price of the
new one. I was so impressed when I used it for the first time it cleaned
so well the water turned to mud. I have since had several vacuum cleaner
salesmen come to the house and when they see I have a Rainbow they just
give up and leave. So I went from being a die hard Kirb user for 20+ years
to a Rainbow and I can say that I will never own anything else.

Bonus I was able to get rid of my shop vac and this machine cleans the air
while you vacuum I no longer have to dust every week,

Posted to alt.home.repair

acunniff wrote:

[...]

Ouch! $3500? For that you could install a central system and ALL
smells go outside. When we moved here 4 1/2 years ago, money was tight
and my wife didn't want a central system, like in the old house for the
past 35 years. However, I bought a shop cleaner for the basement and 2
vacuums for the house. I hated them all. The shop cleaner needed
constant cleaning as the filter would instantly plug up after one use.
So, I bought a used central unit for me in the basement. I eventually
expanded it to the main level and never looked back. Later I bought a
new lighter weight hose with a sock. I never had a sock over the hose
in the old house and I don't know why. It makes it much more
maneuverable around corners and furniture. Even my wife admits she
likes this. The hose carries AC to the power brush. The power brush is
also new and works much better than any of the older ones. Plus, I only
have to empty it once or twice a year.

---

Senior Member

The bottom line is that you need a new carpet (or other flooring).

What is happening is that your vaccuum cleaner is loosening up all the bacteria that has settled onto/into your carpet, and that bacteria is staying in the air for hours before settling back down onto your carpet again.

The dirt in carpets will accumulate over time and will include dead skin cells, hair, cellulose fibers from toilet paper and newsprint, all of which are organic and all of which will provide food for bacteria.

Please don't shampoo your carpet. If you do, then getting it wet will create a bacteria's idea of heaven; plenty of food for the bacteria to eat, and plenty of moisture for the bacteria to move around in the carpet. The result will be that your carpet will stink just like the fragrance "Wet Dog".

If I wuz you, I would vaccum the carpet multiple times with a bagged vaccuum cleaner to remove the bacteria from the carpet. And, I would also start budgeting to buy a new carpet.

While every carpet vaccuum cleaner and shampoo'er manufacturer will brag about how clean his machine will get your carpet, the truth is that, with time, organic materials will penetrate deep into your carpet so deeply that they won't be removed by vaccuuming or shampoo-ing. When carpet cleaning contractors are asked to clean carpets like that, they add a biocide to their solution tank. This biocide kills all the bacteria it comes into contact with, thereby preventing those bacteria from multiplying and creating that "wet dog" smell in the room. That's not the correct fix. The correct fix is to replace the carpet, but carpet cleaning contractors would much prefer to do the work, get paid and get out than argue with the customer over the age and condition of their carpet. So, they add the biocide to ensure they don't get "My carpet stinks now!" phone calls from their customers; do the cleaning and get out. It's me that's telling you the truth cuz you're not paying me nothing.

What you need is to try cleaning your carpet with a bagged vaccuum cleaner that's fitted with the MANUFACTURER'S filter bag. No Chinese knock-off filter bags. Get a Hoover filter bag if you're going to use a Hoover. Vaccuum your carpet every weekend for a month, and throw the filter bag in the garbage.

Then see if your carpet stinks after vaccuuming it with your bagless vaccuum cleaner.

- Nestor

Last edited by nestork : April 3rd 14 at 07:46 PM

Junior Member

well...this is sort of normal sometimes
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Thomas wrote
in oups.com:

acunniff wrote:

[...]

$3500? !! When was that?

Bought a Rainbow somewhere in the 1990 timeframe. 700-800 range I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Red Green:
$3500? !! When was that?

Bought a Rainbow somewhere in the 1990 timeframe. 700-800 range I think.

That works.... sort of...

$900 in 1990 is about $1,600 in 2014 dollars per
http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

OK.... only half.... but I am guessing the Rainbow door-to-door business
model is around extracting the highest price the sales person can.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Michael Thomas" wrote
in message oups.com...
acunniff wrote:

[...]

Don't ever forget to empty that water out after vacuuming. In a couple of
days it will smell worse than a sewer spill. The problem is that sometimes
one stops vacuuming when interrupted, and then fails to come back to the
vacuum to use or empty it. Then it is turned on without cleaning and the
whole house will stink worse than your old dog. I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per EXT:
I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.

You have me thinking. I dislike the noise of most vacuum cleaners.

But I'm guessing that retrofit of a central vac is a major undertaking -
probably not worth it.

Is there any middle ground? Maybe something where a central vac outlet
could be installed, say, in the soil stack area and then an extended
hose?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per EXT:
I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.

You have me thinking. I dislike the noise of most vacuum cleaners.

But I'm guessing that retrofit of a central vac is a major undertaking -
probably not worth it.

I have a retrofit, not a big job at all.
A pro did it in under a day.

Is there any middle ground? Maybe something where a central vac outlet
could be installed, say, in the soil stack area and then an extended
hose?

Hoses are from 30 to 36 feet.

Mark a garden hose at 30 feet and find central locations that cover the
whole house. That tells you where and how many outlets you need or
if the job is feasible.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2014 5:45 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per EXT:
I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.

You have me thinking. I dislike the noise of most vacuum cleaners.

But I'm guessing that retrofit of a central vac is a major undertaking -
probably not worth it.

I have a retrofit, not a big job at all.
A pro did it in under a day.

Is there any middle ground? Maybe something where a central vac outlet
could be installed, say, in the soil stack area and then an extended
hose?

Hoses are from 30 to 36 feet.

Mark a garden hose at 30 feet and find central locations that cover the
whole house. That tells you where and how many outlets you need or
if the job is feasible.

I've installed 2 systems myself and it's not that big a deal. If you
have ever worked with PVC pipe and cement, that's big part of it. If
you have an open basement, that makes the job a whole lot easier. I
only needed 2 inlets on this level, but after the install, I found a 3rd
would be really handy. That one was really hard to install because of a
step up area from the living room to the rest of the house. I probably
should have just put it somewhere else. The main suction unit is in the
garage. In my previous house, I originally had it in the basement. It
was noisy when it was running. It seemed to be bothering my more and
more, so I moved it to the garage. Well, moving it, the noise continued
getting worse. The motor bearings were starting to fail and eventually
screeched to an unbearable level ... but that was after more than 20
years. A new motor/fan unit fixed that.

---

Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM
vacuum bagging sites Bill Woodworking 0 June 22nd 04 11:06 PM
Riccar Radiance Vacuum review Clinton Bast Home Ownership 1 June 2nd 04 02:51 PM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM
vacuum attach for solid spindles Fred Holder Woodturning 1 July 9th 03 05:23 AM