Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Vacuum smells like dog!

"Michael Thomas" wrote
in message oups.com...
replying to Al, Michael Thomas wrote:
acunniff wrote:

When we vacuum our rugs it makes the room smell like "stale dog"
(for lack of a better phrase) for a while. We do have a dog, a small
(clean) Bichon, but she has no noticeable smell, and 'way back
when our vacuums didn't raise a dog smell.
We formerly used a Eureka bagged vacuum cleaner, and we thought
the smell was due to that cleaner, so we switched to our current
Hoover twin-chamber bagless. The Hoover is actually worse than
the Eureka, as it tosses out fine dust while it vacuums!
Any advice on how we can get rid of the dog smell, and whether
we should consider switching from the Hoover? Thanks.

I used to have that problem. I owned a Kirby G6 best of the best or so I
thought...
Didn't own a dog and my vac would smell up the entire house every
saturday. I used the HEPA bags and did everything that I was supposed to
but nothing helped. Then I had a Rainbow sales lady show up. She did a few
simple demonstrations:

1 She held a spotlight next to my bag while the Kirby was running but not
picking up dirt (looked like a dustbowl in the midwest)
2 She held up the same spotlight next to the Rainbow NO DUST AT ALL
Rainbow filters with water (wet dirt don't fly)
3 Had me vacuum a high traffic area 1ft by 2ft for several minutes until I
was sure it was clean (so I thought)
4 Went over the same area with the Rainbow 1 time and picked up a handful
of dirt I was shocked and sold
Then came the sticker shock $3500 I was impressed but not that impressed.
So off I go to Craigslist and found a second hand previous generation
Rainbow for $150 that price I can handle. Of course this machine was only
about 80% of the power and cleaning ability (still way better than any
other machine you can buy). Bonus: it was a fraction of the price of the
new one. I was so impressed when I used it for the first time it cleaned
so well the water turned to mud. I have since had several vacuum cleaner
salesmen come to the house and when they see I have a Rainbow they just
give up and leave. So I went from being a die hard Kirb user for 20+ years
to a Rainbow and I can say that I will never own anything else.

Bonus I was able to get rid of my shop vac and this machine cleans the air
while you vacuum I no longer have to dust every week,

Don't ever forget to empty that water out after vacuuming. In a couple of
days it will smell worse than a sewer spill. The problem is that sometimes
one stops vacuuming when interrupted, and then fails to come back to the
vacuum to use or empty it. Then it is turned on without cleaning and the
whole house will stink worse than your old dog. I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.