Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Vacuum smells like dog!

On 4/4/2014 5:45 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per EXT:
I still find central vacs
better when they are exhausted outside of the house.

You have me thinking. I dislike the noise of most vacuum cleaners.

But I'm guessing that retrofit of a central vac is a major undertaking -
probably not worth it.

I have a retrofit, not a big job at all.
A pro did it in under a day.

Is there any middle ground? Maybe something where a central vac outlet
could be installed, say, in the soil stack area and then an extended
hose?

Hoses are from 30 to 36 feet.

Mark a garden hose at 30 feet and find central locations that cover the
whole house. That tells you where and how many outlets you need or
if the job is feasible.

I've installed 2 systems myself and it's not that big a deal. If you
have ever worked with PVC pipe and cement, that's big part of it. If
you have an open basement, that makes the job a whole lot easier. I
only needed 2 inlets on this level, but after the install, I found a 3rd
would be really handy. That one was really hard to install because of a
step up area from the living room to the rest of the house. I probably
should have just put it somewhere else. The main suction unit is in the
garage. In my previous house, I originally had it in the basement. It
was noisy when it was running. It seemed to be bothering my more and
more, so I moved it to the garage. Well, moving it, the noise continued
getting worse. The motor bearings were starting to fail and eventually
screeched to an unbearable level ... but that was after more than 20
years. A new motor/fan unit fixed that.

---