Ken Moiarty

Default Where can I shop for construction equipment (i.e. cement mixer) [Vancouver area]?

Request info as per subject line. Specifically around Surrey/Langley area,
but willing to travel anywhere in greater Vancouver if necessary. Mixing
concrete in a wheelbarrow with a shovel is for the birds. And mixers cost
too much to rent for a time period sufficient to cover for my haphazard work
schedule. So I want to buy my own cement mixer, park it in the yard,
beside my pile of aggregate, where it will be ready for me to use on a whim.

Home Depot has a couple models for sale (from $650-$850), but I want to
comparison shop. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Ken

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

As much as I hate to say it, my little Harbor Freight mixer (3.5 Cu Ft.)
mixer has done me just fine so far.
That said, I've run about 4 cy through it without problems. I paid about
$189 (USD) for it. I figured if it only
lasts for several yards, then it did what I wanted it to do. I don't plan
to pour much more concrete (or set
adobe blocks in my case).
Cheers,
cc

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
Request info as per subject line. Specifically around Surrey/Langley
area, but willing to travel anywhere in greater Vancouver if necessary.
Mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow with a shovel is for the birds. And
mixers cost too much to rent for a time period sufficient to cover for my
haphazard work schedule. So I want to buy my own cement mixer, park it
in the yard, beside my pile of aggregate, where it will be ready for me to
use on a whim.

Home Depot has a couple models for sale (from $650-$850), but I want to
comparison shop. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Ken

Steve

"Ken Moiarty" wrote
Request info as per subject line. Specifically around Surrey/Langley

area,
but willing to travel anywhere in greater Vancouver if necessary. Mixing
concrete in a wheelbarrow with a shovel is for the birds. And mixers cost
too much to rent for a time period sufficient to cover for my haphazard

work
schedule. So I want to buy my own cement mixer, park it in the yard,
beside my pile of aggregate, where it will be ready for me to use on a

whim.

Home Depot has a couple models for sale (from $650-$850), but I want to
comparison shop. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Ken

Ken,

I've purchased a wet saw & a chain saw at rentals. I wanted the bigger more
commercial type equipment without the expense of new, and rental places sell
their equipment off about once a year. The rental places around here, do
maintenance on their equipment when they come back, and have to make sure
they're in good working order since it's a pretty competitive business.

I've since sold my chain saw for more than I paid for it.

You might want to look into that avenue.

Darro

If you're only doing small jobs, then you might be interested in a
little foot-powered mixer sold by Lee Valley Tools on SE Marine in
Vancouver.

It's described at:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,10338&p=10338

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:43:16 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

Request info as per subject line. Specifically around Surrey/Langley area,
but willing to travel anywhere in greater Vancouver if necessary. Mixing
concrete in a wheelbarrow with a shovel is for the birds. And mixers cost
too much to rent for a time period sufficient to cover for my haphazard work
schedule. So I want to buy my own cement mixer, park it in the yard,
beside my pile of aggregate, where it will be ready for me to use on a whim.

Home Depot has a couple models for sale (from $650-$850), but I want to
comparison shop. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Ken

Mark and Kim Smith

I'll second that. I don't like too much that comes out of Harbor
Freight, but I took a chance on that mixer. Think I caught it on sale
at $139 and some change. I ran over 7 1/2 tons through mine and it is
still ready for more. Perfect for my sporadic schedule of backyard
landscaping. Some pics of the job it did.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond7.htm In fact, you can see it in the
background of some of the pics.

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

[...]

clintonG

snip /

So how did your dog die? ;-)

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

Mark and Kim Smith

clintonG wrote:

snip /

So how did your dog die? ;-)

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

Oh, he's not dead. I told him to hold up the trash can! He's a great
help on the project!! You can see in the second photo, with him in it,
that he is still doing a good job!
Ken Moiarty

"Harbor Freight", hey?... Just brought up their Web site. Yes! Though
their nearest store to me is across the border from here(yuck! customs' wait
times, plus Cdn. duties and sales taxes, etc...) and at least an hour's
drive away, their $189.99 (USD) mixer appears about just what I'm looking
for. So unless somebody can recommend a similarly priced mixer being sold
somewhere up here in the greater Vancouver area, I'll will likely be driving
down to a Seattle area "Harbor Freight" store and purchasing this one.
(Just hope the thing fits inside my tiny Colt hatchback. g)

Thanks,
Ken

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
As much as I hate to say it, my little Harbor Freight mixer (3.5 Cu Ft.)
mixer has done me just fine so far.
That said, I've run about 4 cy through it without problems. I paid about
$189 (USD) for it. I figured if it only
lasts for several yards, then it did what I wanted it to do. I don't
plan to pour much more concrete (or set
adobe blocks in my case).
Cheers,
cc

[...]

Ken Moiarty

Thanks. Their cement mixers are not quite within the very low price range
(like the "Harbor Freight" model) that I want at this time, but this outlet
will come in handy for other construction tools/equipment I will want to
shop for in the future, I'm sure!

Ken

"ANDY WIERSMA" wrote in message
[...]

"Ken Moiarty" wrote:
"M "Harbor Freight", hey?... Just brought up their Web site. Yes! Though
"M their nearest store to me is across the border from here(yuck! customs' wa
"M times, plus Cdn. duties and sales taxes, etc...) and at least an hour's
"M drive away, their $189.99 (USD) mixer appears about just what I'm looking
"M for. So unless somebody can recommend a similarly priced mixer being sold
"M somewhere up here in the greater Vancouver area, I'll will likely be drivi
"M down to a Seattle area "Harbor Freight" store and purchasing this one.
"M (Just hope the thing fits inside my tiny Colt hatchback. g)

Two words: U-Haul trailer! *G*

Because I care,

|+]::-( ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!)

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...")
-=-
In essentials, unity;
In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine
-=-
note new preferred reply email: Cyberpope67(at)yahoo(dot)com

PS This post specially encoded for verification purposes
--
..
from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca Official Reply Address for Usenet Post

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

That's the one I've been using. Model 31979 I believe. So far so good.
Too bad you aren't closer, I intend to sell it when done with this project
as I really don't have a need for it afterwards. As for the box, IIRC,
it's around 3ft long, 2ft. wide, and maybe 18" high.

[...]

Ken Moiarty

Picked it up Monday. Fit in my Colt tight, but fine! BTW, was a poor
choice of days for me to cross the border, though. Local Canadian stat.
holiday... 90 minute line-ups south-bound on the main routes. I decided
I'd allow a few more miles onto the trip by going to an-out-of-the-way
crossing, where I was able to cut my wait time down to about 20 minutes.
But this added an extra 30 minutes of driving and so wasn't really worth it.
And then the I-5 was packed solid -with local WA plates, mind you; not us
Canadians. (Maybe all those fellow Canadians entering were to be found
somewhere up ahead of me, causing traffic to buildup by using both available
freeway lanes as "slow lanes", like we tend to do at home g. Sorry. Just
a local gripe of mine. A few other Vancouverites will understand...). But
hey, I got my cement mixer!

Ken

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
That's the one I've been using. Model 31979 I believe. So far so good.
Too bad you aren't closer, I intend to sell it when done with this project
as I really don't have a need for it afterwards. As for the box, IIRC,
it's around 3ft long, 2ft. wide, and maybe 18" high.
Cheers,
cc

Rudy

Go buy a copy of the Buy N Sell at your local gas station/ 7-11