googlingaround

Default Need help troubleshooting this picture...

http://members.cox.net/carbuy2004/images/IMG_8239.JPG

Problem: I get these multi-colored (red, blue, green) horizontal lines
across the screen when I boot up. Sometimes I can get into windows,
sometimes it "crashes"/resets the computer right when I get to the
desktop screen. I can get into SAFE MODE and it runs fine there.

Here's what I know, and what I've tried:

1. I know it isn't the monitor - tried a different one.
2. I replaced the video card - still no change
3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change.
4. I tried another memory stick - same old lines.
5. I removed/disconnected extra HD's, sound, nic card,
etc...CD-ROMS...everything except the new video card - still no change.

All I can think of is that it's the CPU...

....or the Power Supply? No idea...Hard drives (RAID)?

Has anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion about what it
might be before I throw more money at this thing.

Thanks.

CJT

googlingaround wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a problem with the video card driver (software) to me.

Did it work previously? What changed?

googlingaround

Yep...it was working...then all of a sudden I started getting the lines
and the computer would go to a BLACK SCREEN while in windows.

If you think it's the DRIVERS what can I do? Keep in mind I'm getting
the horizontal lines during boot up - DOS SCREEN (that's what I call it)

CJT

googlingaround wrote:
Yep...it was working...then all of a sudden I started getting the lines
and the computer would go to a BLACK SCREEN while in windows.

If you think it's the DRIVERS what can I do? Keep in mind I'm getting
the horizontal lines during boot up - DOS SCREEN (that's what I call it)

Good point -- if the problem appears before Windows starts, it can't
very well be the drivers.

Try getting a copy of memtest86 and run it for a while.

http://www.memtest86.com/

googlingaround

Okay...just for fun I dusted off my WIN98 CD and decided to reinstall
the OS.

On install, when WIN98 setup gets to the first 0-100% bar thing, the
one what says "please wait while windows checks your system", the
computer stopped responding at the 100% mark. It just gets to the end
and doesn't do anything else.

So...

I went with a full format for MORE fun...

Format went okay - sort of. Took two tries. The first time it just got
hung up at 30%. Second time was fine though. Not sure what happened
there.

Tried the WIN98 install again and it stopped at the same place - at the
100% mark.

Any ideas?

Oh, and the lines are only "sometimes" around.

Jerry G.

In reading the events that happened, this can be a combination of things.
Try the mother board, CPU, and display card all at the same time. Work back
from there.

--

Jerry G.
======

"googlingaround" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Lee

googlingaround wrote:
http://members.cox.net/carbuy2004/images/IMG_8239.JPG
I can get into SAFE MODE and it runs fine there.

Here's what I know, and what I've tried:

2. I replaced the video card - still no change
3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change.
4. I tried another memory stick - same old lines.

All I can think of is that it's the CPU...

...or the Power Supply? No idea...Hard drives (RAID)?

Faulty PSUs can cause all sorts of weird problems, certainly if you have
access to a spare one it would be an idea to try it.

I have seen this a few times though, you appear to be using an nVidia
card, so first, go into the bios and turn of "Video bios
shadowing/caching" and do the same for video memory caching if present.
Turn off write combining also, if the option is there.
Then reset all the memory timings to default.

If none of these improve the situation, then turn off the CPU cache - if
this cures it, then try another CPU.

Don't forget to check the caps on the motherboard too, unless the
replacement was "new".

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Lee

Lee wrote:

If I've read the DeviceID right, you appear to be using a
GeForce FX 5700LE, I've read a few reports of similar lines and
corruption with this card.

Does your motherboard support 8x AGP? And do you have an adequate
PSU? These seem to be the most common reasons...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Asimov

"googlingaround" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Mar 05 00:11:33)
--- on the heady topic of " Need help troubleshooting this picture..."

go From: "googlingaround"
go Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:43950

go Tried the WIN98 install again and it stopped at the same place - at
go the 100% mark.

go Any ideas?

go Oh, and the lines are only "sometimes" around.

Go into safe mode and delete every video driver that appear in the
control panel, and then restart win. Sometimes old drivers will stay
loaded and interfere with a new one.

BTW Did you eliminate the possibility of a bad monitor cable?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... All the world's an analog stage & digital circuits play only bit parts

googlingaround

Hi Lee

I don't think it's the card...

The computer was working fine for a few years...with another card...and
then developed had that problem all of a sudden. I went out a purchased
a new card just to see if that was the problem but it didn't help. So
with or without the new card, the problem is still there.

The MB is an ASUS A7V133...

I guess my next step is to get a hold of another PSU. I've been using
the same PSU for about two years and never had any problems - so I
don't think it's that either. Besides, all i have connected right now
are the MB, CPU, 2 HD's, 1 Vid card, and that's it...so don't think the
load is excessive.

Thanks though...I'll try what you suggested to do in the BIOS.

googlingaround

Bad cable...Hmmmm...

I'll double check that...

Thanks

jakdedert

googlingaround wrote:
Bad cable...Hmmmm...

I'll double check that...

Thanks

I had a monitor that I thought was bad. The focus was off and there were
little 'shadows' around each character of text. For some reason it did not
occur to me to check the cable. I have an extension on the video cable due
to an awkward placement of the CPU and monitor.

Wiggling the connector between the monitor cable and extension did the
trick. The bad part was that I had already replaced the monitor once (the
problem went away, but came back after a year or so) without realizing that
it was a cable problem. Plugging in the new monitor had temporarily
'solved' the problem.

Now the cable is always the first thing I check with video problems.

That said, it sounds like you have more serious problems, given that you are
experiencing all this installation difficulty.

jak

Lee

googlingaround wrote:
Hi Lee

I don't think it's the card...

The computer was working fine for a few years...with another card...and
then developed had that problem all of a sudden. I went out a purchased
a new card just to see if that was the problem but it didn't help. So
with or without the new card, the problem is still there.

The MB is an ASUS A7V133...

I don't recall that board having a reputation for it, but it is of the
same age as other boards with capacitor problems, so it would be a good
idea to check them...at least give them a simple visual check for
bulging or leaking.
If they are beginning to go faulty, but are not yet too bad, then it
can look like PSU or CPU problems.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
googlingaround

Thanks Lee...still sitting here trying to figure out a solution

It can't be the MB since I did swap it out for another of the same
model.

"... 3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change..."

I did get windows to install but I can't get past the first blank
windows screen...the mouse pointer just sits there, occasionally
"thinking" (hourglass pops up for a sec)...

I also disabled everything that was suggested and, other than
everything running REALLY slow, I'm still having stability problems...

The "lines" come and go intermitently now...it seems that once the
computer is on they don't show up much. They show up more when I power
down, wait a couple seconds then power up again. But regardless of
wether the lines are there or not, I'm having stability issues and I'm
unable to fully get to the WIN98 desktop...

I have my eye on a few processors on ebay as my next step....either
that or a PSU...I'm stumped.

Lee

googlingaround wrote:
Thanks Lee...still sitting here trying to figure out a solution
It can't be the MB since I did swap it out for another of the same
model.
"... 3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change..."

Yeah I spotted that But you didn't say whether it was a "known
working" board, and if it's a used board of the same age/type it's still
quite likely for it to have cap problems...

I also disabled everything that was suggested and, other than
everything running REALLY slow, I'm still having stability problems...

Of course it will run slow with the CPU cache disabled, the test is to
see whether the machine is more stable. The reason I try this is to see
whether the CPU cache is damaged which it can be sometimes from
overheating.

The "lines" come and go intermitently now...it seems that once the
computer is on they don't show up much. They show up more when I power
down, wait a couple seconds then power up again. But regardless of
wether the lines are there or not, I'm having stability issues and I'm
unable to fully get to the WIN98 desktop...

I have my eye on a few processors on ebay as my next step....either
that or a PSU...I'm stumped.

You choice...
This is where it helps to have a known good spare PSU in the tool box
for testing

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:38:36 -0800, JR North
put finger to keyboard and composed:

According to the jpg you posted, the MBR (master boot record) is
corrupted on the HD.
JR

The POST screen shows "None" for both Master and Slave on the Primary
IDE port. A solitary HD is connected to the Secondary IDE port as
Master. It appears that the OP has disconnected the primary HD for
testing purposes.

googlingaround wrote:

http://members.cox.net/carbuy2004/images/IMG_8239.JPG

- Franc Zabkar
googlingaround

Yes...that's right....

I removed it.

I did try another drive and that didn't help either.

This Sunday there is a computer swap meet around here (Santa Ana,
Edinger in case anyone is from the area) so I'll see if I can pickup a
CPU and a PSU...then give 'em a try.

JR North

Doesn't matter. It will boot to any drive selected as master. A
secondary master will be read if no primary master is present.
'Course, he could also have a non-bootable floppy in the drive.
JR

googlingaround wrote:

http://members.cox.net/carbuy2004/images/IMG_8239.JPG

- Franc Zabkar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
googlingaround

Has anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion about what it
might be before I throw more money at this thing.

Finally!

Update: I went to the swap meet. Bought used power supply and grabbed a
handfull of used Athlon's ($5 each).

Went back home to try everything out and...zip! I was still getting the
darn lines. So after trying:

1. Video card (replaced with new one)
2. MB - replaced with used one of ebay.
3. Memory - swapped it out with another stick.
4. Removed all extra hardware from system.
5. Checked video cables.
6. Fiddled around with the BIOS
7. Formatted HD and reinstalled OS
8. Tried another HD
9. Replaced power supply.

Gosh this is embarrassing

10. Replaced CPU
11. REPLACED VIDEO CARD "AGAIN"

What I had noticed was that I only got the "lines" when I was using the
DVI cables. Since I had pretty much exhausted every other possiblity, I
decided to take my monitor in to have it checked out along with the new
video card that I had bought. First they checked out the monitor and it
worked fine. Then, when they told me that they would have to charge me
$75 for a diagnostic I said no way and went ahead and bought a cheap
DVI to use as a tester.

Went back home, popped it in, and sure enough the problem was solved!

So what happened: I "think" the problem had to do with the MB. For
whatever reason it blew out my video card. Then, when I bought the
second video card and plugged it into THAT same MB, it must have blown
that one out too.

So all this time I spent trying everything else was pointless since I
was working with a bad vid card.

Whew! Glad that's over...

Thanks for all the advice!