googlingaround

Has anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion about what it
might be before I throw more money at this thing.

Finally!

Update: I went to the swap meet. Bought used power supply and grabbed a
handfull of used Athlon's ($5 each).

Went back home to try everything out and...zip! I was still getting the
darn lines. So after trying:

1. Video card (replaced with new one)
2. MB - replaced with used one of ebay.
3. Memory - swapped it out with another stick.
4. Removed all extra hardware from system.
5. Checked video cables.
6. Fiddled around with the BIOS
7. Formatted HD and reinstalled OS
8. Tried another HD
9. Replaced power supply.

Gosh this is embarrassing

10. Replaced CPU
11. REPLACED VIDEO CARD "AGAIN"

What I had noticed was that I only got the "lines" when I was using the
DVI cables. Since I had pretty much exhausted every other possiblity, I
decided to take my monitor in to have it checked out along with the new
video card that I had bought. First they checked out the monitor and it
worked fine. Then, when they told me that they would have to charge me
$75 for a diagnostic I said no way and went ahead and bought a cheap
DVI to use as a tester.

Went back home, popped it in, and sure enough the problem was solved!

So what happened: I "think" the problem had to do with the MB. For
whatever reason it blew out my video card. Then, when I bought the
second video card and plugged it into THAT same MB, it must have blown
that one out too.

So all this time I spent trying everything else was pointless since I
was working with a bad vid card.

Whew! Glad that's over...

Thanks for all the advice!