Skid

Default how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Your burner is trying to keep you from breaking the law. What would mommy
say?

(P.S., you're not just trolling, you're trying to use the recoder for
something it's not designed to do. If you want to know why it won't work, do
a little homework at www.dvdrhelp.com)

Gilmour

Erich J. Schultheis wrote:
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

we think its imnpossible to copy a dvd to a dvd. Maybe one day somebody
will find a solution for us.
Parker Jefferson Sneeihl

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in
:

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
preventing me from recording to DVD?

You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase the
DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.
LanceBro

there are archival program availiable for retail, such as dvd copy or dvd xcopy
express etc...these will make copies for you, but it will not copy dvd to dvd
it will copy to the Hard Drive then ask you to insert your blank and copy your
DVD....

most DVD's are 8.7 gigs and are referred to as dvd9's the current blanks and
burners can only do 4.7 gigs...

so your movie will be compressed not an exact copy but it will look fine...

you will also not have menu's and/or special features etc etc

remember archival purposes only

Anonymous Joe

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

It is most likely macrovision. It's designed so that you can't make ILLEGAL
copies. Sadly, it also prevents you from making LEGAL backups (luckily the
ones your trying to do are all ILLEGAL).

Yeah, there could be some workarounds....might cost $100 and be illegal in
some countries (sort of like having a so-called "black box" is in the US,
but it doesn't call for buying a "black box").

Jerry G.

It is called a very sophisticated copy protection. This is a good thing,
because all of this type of piracy is putting people out of work who are in
the media work force. As the incomes from the sales of their products goes
down, the production houses are laying off their workers to compensate.

I am involved in several aspects of media production, and am for strong copy
protection. For the small cost of a copy, it would be a contribution to buy
a second copy if needed. These small amounts by the many thousands of
purchases add up to keep people in their jobs.

A copy of a commercially produced movie is not considered a backup of user
files, as like user created work or software. Like bought (purchased)
software programs, entertainment media should be used on one device at a
time at one location at a time, unless agreed with between the manufacture
and the end user.

If you worked in this industry and had to feed your family, you would feel
the same way!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them
to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to
copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad
cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Robert Nogo

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Please understand that what you are trying to do is illegal. That's not a
technical difficulty, that's a copy protection method known as Macrovision.
It has nothing to do with the resolution of the source, Macrovision is
present on VHS as well. You are allowed to make recordings off digital cable
and the antenna for your own personal use, but I don't think it's legal
either to distribute those recordings to friends. As far as I am concerned,
I would rather purchase the DVD legally.

Paul Landregan

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

DVD Decrypt, the use Clone DVD to compress and burn.

Can not tell the different. But remember its strictly for archiving only.
Duplicating someone else's DVD;'s is Illegal.

James Sweet

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Pressed DVD's are encrypted, this is specifically to prevent you from doing
what you're attempting. Also their capacity is double what a single layer
DVD-R is. There's tools out there that would allow you to bypass this but
it's illegal. If you choose to attempt it you're on your own.

James Sweet

"Parker Jefferson Sneeihl" wrote in message
s.com...
"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in
:

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
preventing me from recording to DVD?

You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase

the
DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

That's definitly true, throughout VHS I bought maybe 5 or 6 movies, they
were just too expensive and too bulky. Once DVD's started hitting the
$10-$15 range I started buying movies, for the cost of renting one twice I
can own it, and they're nice and compact, I probably have 40+ of them now.

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 07:54:37 -0500, "Erich J. Schultheis"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

I agree with the others who decry piracy, but at the same time I'm
enraged at how the various world governments allow the movie industry
to openly flout restrictive trade practices legislation by dividing
the globe into marketing zones with the explicit intention of stifling
competition and manipulating pricing. We all know this is immoral and
illegal, and such practices should be prosecuted.

- Franc Zabkar
rstlne

[...]

Not sure what post was more of a laugh, his or yours..
I mean, Just look at the 3 LOTR films
a MASSIVE 500+ mil usd to make the film and bring it to the market. Now in
the BOX OFFICE ALONE the total sales is expected to reach 3 BN usd.. now..
Movie theatres say "We rarely profit from the ticket sales".. So one would
assume that the majority of the ticket sale goes back to the mfgr.. For you
we can go low, and say they make 50%.. so that's 1.5bn - .5bn or 1bn profit

So now they release the DVD's, And games, and soundtracks, and posters, and
so on and so on and so on ..

Your telling me that the DVD selling for 26$-28$ is priced so high because
it has to feed the people that made it? ..
Lets not forget that they have got their payment JUST from sales.. When this
film makes 30bn and gives it's 300mil to the RIAA to stop people who want to
make their own DVD for 3$ then I guess you can feel happy that your able to
buy your food..

Granted I think what the guy wants to do is wrong, but He wants to do it
because the media industry is just SO SO SO SO greedy..
I would bet that (riaa fees and sales company markup aside).. that the cost
of that 10$ DVD (box & cover design & production of the case & dvd itself)
is around 70c

Just saying that your post is as silly as his

jayembee

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote:

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and
tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said
"Can Not Copy". The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs
from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna
just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which
is preventing me from recording to DVD?

No, that's not it. Most commercial DVDs have software called
Macrovision on them to prevent them from being copied. That's
for the express purpose of keeping you from doing exactly
what you're trying to do: copy borrowed DVDs inside of buying
your own legal copies.

-- jayembee
rstlne

"Justin" wrote in message
rstlne wrote on [Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:39:25 -0000]:

Not sure what post was more of a laugh, his or yours..
I mean, Just look at the 3 LOTR films
a MASSIVE 500+ mil usd to make the film and bring it to the market. Now

in
the BOX OFFICE ALONE the total sales is expected to reach 3 BN usd..

now..
Movie theatres say "We rarely profit from the ticket sales".. So one

would
assume that the majority of the ticket sale goes back to the mfgr.. For

you
we can go low, and say they make 50%.. so that's 1.5bn - .5bn or 1bn

profit

Yes, one group of films out of many that don't break even in the
theatre, and barely come close in the retail channel. Waterworld
recently just made it's money back. This is money back, before profit.

Or should studios only release profitable films?

No, I dont think that would be possible. What I am saying is that You
shouldnt need to pay 20$ for ghostbusters on DVD, They stay on top of
overkill until the product is completly dead.

So now they release the DVD's, And games, and soundtracks, and posters,

and
so on and so on and so on ..

Your telling me that the DVD selling for 26$-28$ is priced so high

because
it has to feed the people that made it? ..
Lets not forget that they have got their payment JUST from sales.. When

this
film makes 30bn and gives it's 300mil to the RIAA to stop people who

want to
make their own DVD for 3$ then I guess you can feel happy that your able

buy your food..

The RIAA? That's music

You sure.. Check again.. all "media" formats come under the RIAA..

And shipping, marketing, etc.

I counted marketing.. Shipping large volumes would be virtually nil (by thte
time you consider volume by cost) and be considered part of the "stores"
profit..

James Sweet

"jayembee" wrote in message
om...
"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote:

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and
tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said
"Can Not Copy". The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs
from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna
just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which
is preventing me from recording to DVD?

No, that's not it. Most commercial DVDs have software called
Macrovision on them to prevent them from being copied. That's
for the express purpose of keeping you from doing exactly
what you're trying to do: copy borrowed DVDs inside of buying
your own legal copies.

-- jayembee

Macrovision prevents you from making an analog copy of a DVD by recording
the output of a player onto a VHS or other tape, but preventing a digital
copy is the CSS encryption. There was a lot of buzz going on a few years go
when someone cracked the encryption and Hollywood **** a brick sideways.

rstlne

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:39:25 -0000, "rstlne" .@. Gave us:

I would bet that (riaa fees and sales company markup aside).. that the

cost
of that 10$ DVD (box & cover design & production of the case & dvd

itself)
is around 70c

Yer full of ****. The final product is 70c each. The total cost of
producing packaging is a large number though. Add it up.

70c times 10 million discs pressed.

That's a 7 million dollar cost. There are artists, and renderers,
and a whole team of folks involved, long before the art gets to the
presses.

You are so lost. So what it is only 70c per package? It is THEIR
product.

The Inital cost was of the movie profit took care of the film marketing,
film production, all cost associated with making the film and bringing it to
market. The conversion (for modern) films from the reel to the dvd isnt
that high (or did this movie decide to record everything in non-digital then
edit after the fact)..

luminos

"Paul Landregan" wrote in message

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn

them
to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

DVD Decrypt, the use Clone DVD to compress and burn.

Can not tell the different. But remember its strictly for archiving only.
Duplicating someone else's DVD;'s is Illegal.

And renting and copying is dupliacating some else's DVD. There are ca $90
boxes that can decrypt the various codes between
a player and recorder....but you have to 'sign' a statement that by buying
such a thing you will not use it for the purposes
mentioned by the original poster.

luminos

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:17:54 +1100, Franc Zabkar
Gave us:

I agree with the others who decry piracy, but at the same time I'm
enraged at how the various world governments allow the movie industry
to openly flout restrictive trade practices legislation by dividing
the globe into marketing zones with the explicit intention of stifling
competition and manipulating pricing. We all know this is immoral and
illegal, and such practices should be prosecuted.

- Franc Zabkar

You're an idiot. The hierarchy was based on the way movies trickled
into the rest of the world, back in the day. That evolves, surely.
Now, it is just business, and economy in a given region.

It is their product, and it is their right to "price it" at whatever
they want in whatever market they are selling it in.

Region codes are far more sinister than that and should be tested in the
courts.

James Sweet

"luminos" wrote in message

[...]

Yes region codes I will agree are annoying, though it's almost laughable how
easy they are to defeat, particularly now that you can get DVD players so
ridiculously cheap that if you don't feel like hacking one of those Apex or
similar units to be region free you can simply buy a second player for the
other region you want. In the end all it creates is a small hassle.

rstlne

"Justin" wrote in message
James Sweet wrote on [Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:33:43 GMT]:

"luminos" wrote in message

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
[...]

Hmmm.. I dunno about that line of logic, seeings as very few DVD players
can convert Anamorphic PAL perfectly to NTSC

The DVD store format is the same for every region..
NTSC/Pal/whatever is done by the DVD player itself

rstlne

"Justin" wrote in message
rstlne wrote on [Fri, 2 Jan 2004 21:56:15 -0000]:

"Justin" wrote in message

Hmmm.. I dunno about that line of logic, seeings as very few DVD

players
can convert Anamorphic PAL perfectly to NTSC

The DVD store format is the same for every region..
NTSC/Pal/whatever is done by the DVD player itself

Uh. No.

Yeh.. Thinking about it a bit more your right..
My television is a multi-system tv able to play both NTSC or PAL tho....
Sorry I keep forgetting that some people live in the tightly regulated
american market

Jerry Greenberg

Not all these films make Billions, or Millions. There are many that
just make it, but people like the story, therefore, the watch it. You
only hear about the big ones that make the big money, and not all of
the money is made by the distributors.

For the pressing and distribution of the DVD's, and video tapes, there
are a lot of small subcontractors that do the actual work. This
involves everyone from the pressing, packing, sales, and distribution.
They are not the owners of the content of the DVD's, but only are
paid commission from the volumes of sales. These are the guys that
also have to pay their employees for the work done. The retailers
make a very small markup on these.

In the case of a first class movie in the movie theaters, the makers
of the movie, and the share investors are the ones that get the bulk
of the income from it. The theaters that show the movies, make only a
base commission from the number of tickets sold.

Jerry G.

--

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message ...

[...]

luminos

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:17:38 GMT, "luminos" Gave us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
.. .
[...]

It is THEIR product to sell, THEIR way, AT the time THEY decide.

There is nothing anyone can do about that. There is no competition
for a product that is a one of a kind work, so you can't say they are
manipulating some market. The market is all theirs.

Doh!

No. The market is not all theirs. Take a look at the docket of monopoly
and anti-competition suits filed.

luminos

"SEVEN SEVILLE"
you_should_be_able_to_copy_whatever_the_****_you_ wrote in
message ...
HEY ALL OF YOU ANTI-PIRACY RETARDS, BACK OFF OF ERICH.
HE SHOULD BE ALBE TO MAKE ALL THE COPIES HE WANTS. WHO IS HE HURTING?

NOBODY? OH, WHAT THE **** ACTOR WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE.
THAT SLUTTY ACTRESS WHO HAS TO SHOW HER FAKE TITS THAT LOOK LIKE MOLDY

PINAPPLES CAN'T AFFORD THAT ****ING HUMMER.

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU ARE AGAINST PIRACY THEN

YOU
BRING A SPOON TO MY HOUSE AND EAT THE **** RIGHT OUT OF MY TOILET.

Idiot.

mzmeryze

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" wrote:

Idiot.

You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.
Mike Davis

"Jerry G." wrote in message

[...]

Hey Jerry,
You seem like a pretty reasonable guy, but I beg to differ on your
opinion on copying. I'll give you a personal example; I've got three kids
ten and under, with another in the oven. I darm sure copy the Disney DVD's
using DVD X Copy. The kids are good kids, but they are still kids, no way in
the world are they going to treat my discs like I do.
I see nothing wrong with making copies for personal use. I don't sell
and don't lend them out (other than rare exceptions) either. If I want a
copy of the "Lion King" so the original stays pristene I don't think that is
out of line. The artist is paid and no copies go out in the gene pool, if
you know what I mean ggg.
All the best, Mike

Richard C.

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
:
:
: because the media industry is just SO SO SO SO greedy..

=============================
When you start working for free, then you can say such things.

putz.

Richard C.

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
:
: What I am saying is that You
: shouldnt need to pay 20$ for ghostbusters on DVD,

========================
You DON'T "need" to pay that.
If you don't want to, then don't buy it or watch it.

Simple.
========================

Richard C.

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
:
:
: The Inital cost was of the movie profit took care of the film marketing,
: film production, all cost associated with making the film and bringing it to
: market. The conversion (for modern) films from the reel to the dvd isnt
: that high (or did this movie decide to record everything in non-digital then
: edit after the fact)..
:
===================
Why should they even release it for the home market if there is no money in it for
them?

Your attitude is pathetic.
================

James Sweet

Hey Jerry,
You seem like a pretty reasonable guy, but I beg to differ on your
opinion on copying. I'll give you a personal example; I've got three kids
ten and under, with another in the oven. I darm sure copy the Disney DVD's
using DVD X Copy. The kids are good kids, but they are still kids, no way

in
the world are they going to treat my discs like I do.
I see nothing wrong with making copies for personal use. I don't sell
and don't lend them out (other than rare exceptions) either. If I want a
copy of the "Lion King" so the original stays pristene I don't think that

is
out of line. The artist is paid and no copies go out in the gene pool, if
you know what I mean ggg.
All the best, Mike

Well there is where things get fuzzy, legally you *should* in theory be able
to make one backup copy for personal use, however there's that silly DMCA
which is very broad and makes it illegal to break the CSS encryption for any
purpose, so you're kinda screwed there. That said, I seriously doubt the
feds are gonna bust down your door for making a personal backup and I
wouldn't hesitate to do it, but obviously I wouldn't go selling copies to
people, I don't particularly like the industry, but it's still their product
and I find most DVD's to be reasonably priced anyway.

tempus fugit

I agree with Dark. Just because you think they are making too much profit
doesn't give you the right to steal it.
That being said (and I agree wholeheartedly with copy protection),
Macrovision sucks. I got a DVD player and my ancient TV has no RCA ins. My
VCR does though, but I can't use it for DVD's because the macrovision kicks
in. I have no interest in copying a DVD, I just want to watch the f'in
thing.

I ended up buying a modulator (was going to build one, but couldn't be
bothered)./

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 21:07:31 -0000, "rstlne" .@. Gave us:

The Inital cost was of the movie profit took care of the film marketing,
film production, all cost associated with making the film and bringing it

market. The conversion (for modern) films from the reel to the dvd isnt
that high (or did this movie decide to record everything in non-digital

then
edit after the fact)..

So what? You don't get it. It is STILL THEIR product to sell. If
you don't like the price or are out classed by it, buy into a
different technology. It is that simple.

AT NO time does any circumstance ever legitimize the theft of the
product.

No matter what you think of how it breaks down for them.

MR_ED_of_Course

in article , Jerry G. at
wrote on 1/2/04 9:48 AM:

It is called a very sophisticated copy protection.

What is called "very sophisticated copy protection"? Certainly nothing that
DVDs have. Pirates can make bit-perfect copies of DVD movies in less than
an hour. This is the problem that I've seen with almost all copy protection
to date...they hurt legitimate consumers while not affecting professional
pirates at all.

For music, copy protection has at best created a annoyance for legitimate
customers while *increasing* the market for pirates and pushing people more
towards piracy.

Music, video and software are all different areas where I have different
attitudes towards copying. I've worked in all three industries and have
been a consumer who spends an order of magnitude more than the average
person on each.

MUSIC: I have no problems with people sharing music by any means necessary.
I think sharing music *is* the moral thing to do and the recording industry
should be destroyed.

SOFTWA Likewise, I have no problems with people pirating any Microsoft
software. I have no problem with people pirating other productive software
for personal use...in the sense of someone pirating PhotoShop so they can be
familiar with it when they go to work somewhere that the company will buy it
for them.

VIDEO: DVDs are so incredibly reasonable in terms of pricing. I'm against
pirating DVDs, but I do feel it's ok to use a DVD that you've purchased for
personal use. This would include making a back up, making a version that
strips out forced trailers and commercials, or using the content for
personal use...such as making a CD of some of the audio or making a game for
your children based on the video/art elements.

In summary, it's a "**** the recording industry and **** microsoft" attitude
along with if empowering the consumer with what they can do with the
content/software ultimately leads to more sales than go for it.

This is a good thing,

Actually it's not. Studios are paying a lot of money for something that's
broken. Macrovision, region coding and CSS don't work. Even if they did
work, it would not be in their financial best interest to utilize these. It
will be interesting to see if they figure this out before the next format
dominates the market.

because all of this type of piracy is putting people out of work who are in
the media work force. As the incomes from the sales of their products goes
down, the production houses are laying off their workers to compensate.

Well you said "media" instead of "movie"...as I mentioned above, I *want*
the recording industry to be destroyed.

In terms of the movie industry, I think they're treading a close line
between doing things the right way and falling into the same trap as the
recording industry.

For now, prices are totally reasonable, and piracy is extremely low...they
make it seem much larger than it actually is.

However I do see the movie industry making some crucial mistakes such as:
1) Limiting the availability of titles. I'm not talking about not getting
around to releasing titles, but not having a released title always be
available. The studios need to provide custom ordering. This could be very
inexpensive...hell it could be entirely automated. Think NetFlix with DVDs
being burned for the order and shipped for purchase. Without evergreen
availability, people will pirate DVDs solely because they want out-of-print
titles.

2) Using copy-protection that only annoys consumers, but has no affect
whatsoever on professional pirates.

3) Developing big-brother strategies. Remember Divx? It was never cracked.
Studios are considering a DivxII, not so much in terms of a marketing
strategy but in terms of what they can do to produce a really secure (and
upgradeable) copy protection scheme. Two copy protection schemes I've heard
them considering include a Divx like authentication system and a spindle
hologram which contains part of the code key.

For the small cost of a copy, it would be a contribution to buy
a second copy if needed. These small amounts by the many thousands of
purchases add up to keep people in their jobs.

This is great as long as prices remain low and titles remain available.

A copy of a commercially produced movie is not considered a backup of user
files, as like user created work or software. Like bought (purchased)
software programs, entertainment media should be used on one device at a
time at one location at a time, unless agreed with between the manufacture
and the end user.

Interestingly though US law actually says otherwise. What is not debatable
is that (in the US) you have fair use laws for media content which do go
beyond just having a back up copy like with software. The only real debate
is whether the fair laws are superceded by the fact that it's illegal to
circumvent digital copy protection. Even if it is, it would still be legal
to from digital media to digital media as long as it's within fair use and
the content itself was in analog form at some point during the process.

If you worked in this industry and had to feed your family, you would feel
the same way!

I'm currently working full time in the software industry, but I often work
in the film, tv, radio or music industries.

Mark

mzmeryze wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" wrote:

Idiot.

You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.

Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. Macrovision is a
scheme which takes advantage of the AGC circuit in the majority of the
video,VHS players now made. Circumvention of the copy protection is
easily bypassed. Smartripper, ISO buster and other freeware is out for
anyones use. You can hack the eprom code on the Apex units as well. No
big deal as long as you have a legit use. Other than that, go buy it.
luminos

"Justin" wrote in message
Mark wrote on [2 Jan 2004 22:36:04 -0800]:
mzmeryze wrote in message

. ..
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" wrote:

Idiot.

You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.

Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. Macrovision is a

In the USA it is indeed illegal to make a copy of a DVD
Bypassing the CSS encryption is against the law.

Section 4(c) of the DMCA specifically states that no section of the act
should be construed to compromise Fair Use.

This is the conflict in the DMCA. See www.eff.org

rstlne

"Richard C." wrote in message
m...

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
:
:
: The Inital cost was of the movie profit took care of the film marketing,
: film production, all cost associated with making the film and bringing

it to
: market. The conversion (for modern) films from the reel to the dvd isnt
: that high (or did this movie decide to record everything in non-digital

then
: edit after the fact)..
:
===================
Why should they even release it for the home market if there is no money

in it for
them?

Your attitude is pathetic.
================

What if say a car dealer decided to go by the same type of markups that this
stuff is on.. That would make a bare Geo go for probably about 750k
I wish you were my customer!

Richard C.

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
:
: The DVD store format is the same for every region..
: NTSC/Pal/whatever is done by the DVD player itself
:
Not on this planet.