Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Default Name of plug in US

Man-wai Chang wrote:
We may both be wrong..
They look like RCA But they are in fact imports used on Antenna
Connections to Signal Amplifiers.

It's the TV antennae cable plug being used in Hong Kong, which was ruled
by UK before 1997. It's not RCA, the pin is shorter.

I wanna know the TECHNICAL name of that plug design.

Belling-Lee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
I've also heard them called "British Naval Connectors".

In England some people joke that it stands for "Brand New Connector" and
the later TNC stands for "Terribly New Connector". :-)

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Stephen wrote:
PAL refers to the type of analogueTV standard rather than he type of
connector

Not in the US. They were called PAL connectors because only PAL TV sets and
VCR's used them. They were only sold in shops which catered to foreign
tourists, Indians and saliors. All three of which bought them in the US
because of the low taxes and then took or sent them "home".

Over the years I've referred to F connecters as NTSC connectors when someone
called the Belling-Lee ones PAL connectors, but no one got the joke. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 4/30/2011 6:39 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...163450&sr=8-10

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

You have gotten one good reply from The Ghost in the Machine,
although it took him 2 tries. It is an RCA plug, used for
audio.

Yes, but the solid shell is probably confusing.

They're also used for demodulated plain ol' NTSC video, but
I can't speak at what they use in Rightpondia. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

I can assure you that PAL refers to an analogue broadcast standard. What the
Americans call a "PAL connector" is really strictly speaking a Belling Lee.

It sounds like "PAL connector has become everyday language in USA, just
like "Hoover" or "Xerox" whereas strictly speakign they are vacuum cleaner
and photocopier respectively.

Here in Great Britain, the F- connector is used for connecting satellite
dishes to the recievers or by the cable TV networks.

I persoanlly prefer F connector to Belling Lee as the latter can easily fall
out of the socket whereas F connectors dont.

Stephen.

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:
PAL refers to the type of analogueTV standard rather than he type of
connector

Not in the US. They were called PAL connectors because only PAL TV sets
and
VCR's used them. They were only sold in shops which catered to foreign
tourists, Indians and saliors. All three of which bought them in the US
because of the low taxes and then took or sent them "home".

Over the years I've referred to F connecters as NTSC connectors when
someone
called the Belling-Lee ones PAL connectors, but no one got the joke. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Man-wai Chang wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...163450&sr=8-10

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

The UK version is mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug

"Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector,
more often simply known as TV aerial plug"

A lot of my wiring here (Canada), is done with F series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector

The RCA / Cinch connector is also a common
connector type on home electronics, being used
for audio and video. Compared to the Belling-Lee,
the central prong is longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

The antenna connector in my car, is like none
of those, so there is at least one other flavor,
and the prong on that one is even longer. I've
not succeeded in finding a match for it. (Antenna
rusted off car, so currently the car has no antenna.
I get an extra mile per gallon that way :-) )

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Chris S. wrote:
"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
We may both be wrong..
They look like RCA But they are in fact imports used on Antenna
Connections to Signal Amplifiers.

It's the TV antennae cable plug being used in Hong Kong, which was ruled
by UK before 1997. It's not RCA, the pin is shorter.

I wanna know the TECHNICAL name of that plug design.

Isn't it just a push-on non threaded F Connector?

No, the center conductor is too fat. It's an ordinary RCA plug, but
with the solid shell to impress the audiophools.

The push-on F connectors I have here have the slotted shell, but the center
conductor is about 22 or 24 AWG and there's a springy loop around the
shell leaves.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:48:26 +0100, "Stephen"
wrote:

I can assure you that PAL refers to an analogue broadcast standard.

No one doubts that. It's also a DVD standard too iiuc.

What the
Americans call a "PAL connector" is really strictly speaking a Belling Lee.

I think it can be two things at the same time, and it's hard to be
just a Belling Lee when I for one had never heard of such a thing. I'm
sure that's true of many people who sell them in the US too.

It sounds like "PAL connector has become everyday language in USA, just
like "Hoover"

Hoover means vacuum cleaner in some other countries, but in the US
it's just another brand. Gerber means baby food in general some
places.

or "Xerox" whereas strictly speakign they are vacuum cleaner
and photocopier respectively.

Xerox does indeed mean photocopy here. I think a small part of my
jaunt in law school dealt with trademarks, but I've always thought the
rule was backwards from what it should be. If people use xerox as a
synonym for photocopy, that should strengthen the trademark and not
weaken it. Then the Xerox company, or the Scotch tape company
wouldn't have to waste their efforts defending their name, except in
advertising for another brand.

But when someone actually uses a Xerox machine or real Scotch tape,
making them call it Scotch brand tape or Xerox brand photocopying
seems silly.

And if someone on the news, for example, said the company released a
xerox of some document, just assume they used a real Xerox machine or
something living up to its standards.

Just my rant.

Stephen wrote:
PAL refers to the type of analogueTV standard rather than he type of
connector

Not in the US. They were called PAL connectors because only PAL TV sets
and
VCR's used them. They were only sold in shops which catered to foreign
tourists, Indians and saliors. All three of which bought them in the US
because of the low taxes and then took or sent them "home".

Over the years I've referred to F connecters as NTSC connectors when
someone
called the Belling-Lee ones PAL connectors, but no one got the joke. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:33:01 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Thanks. I've got a dual tuner card from a thrift shop that has those connectors,
so you've just helped me out too.

Y'er welcome. I had never heard of Belling-Lee connectors until some
friends arrived from UK with "universal" AM/FM/TV/SW contrivance that
did PAL, NTSC, and SECAM all in one box. I wanted to see how well it
worked, but when I tried to plug in a test cable, I couldn't find a
connector that would fit. The manual was useless. The local shopping
mall travel store was helpful. They allowed me to dig through their
collection of connectors, where I found one as part of a very
expensive adapter kit. A few photos and a dumb question in one of the
travel forums generated the necessary info. However, I didn't want to
wait for an adapter, so I made my own from some brass tubing and an F
connector.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"The Ghost in The Machine"

THE ONES IN THE PIX ARE BNC CONNECTORS,

** Wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"The Ghost in The Machine"

OOPS!!! ON SECOND VIEWING THE ONE IN THE PIX IS USING CLASSY RCA
PLUGS,

** Wrong again.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"Chris S." wrote:

"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
We may both be wrong..
They look like RCA But they are in fact imports used on Antenna
Connections to Signal Amplifiers.

It's the TV antennae cable plug being used in Hong Kong, which was ruled
by UK before 1997. It's not RCA, the pin is shorter.

I wanna know the TECHNICAL name of that plug design.

Isn't it just a push-on non threaded F Connector?

No. It is a European TV antenna connector. They weren't used for
anything in the US, except on equipment brought in by foreigners. Some
referred to it as a PAL connector in the US,

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:39:47 +0800, Man-wai Chang
wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...163450&sr=8-10

Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug

What's the name of the plugs in USA?
It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

Belling-Lee connetors are not used in the USA. We use F connectors
and RCA connectors for TV RF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector
However, not all the F connector plugs are threaded as in "quick
connect" or "push on" connectors that simply slide over the threads.

The push on connectors were the 'G' series, and designed to be
matable with the 'F' series. Most places selling them are absolutely
clueless, like selling DE9 connectors as DB9. Mass marketing to, for
and by idiots.

Adapters are available:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/belling-lee-pal-tv-antenna-plug-to-f-cable-connectors-2-pack-18356

If you want real fun, try to buy a 'HN' connector over the counter at
a wholesaler. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2011 4:34 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
I've also heard them called "British Naval Connectors".

In England some people joke that it stands for "Brand New Connector" and
the later TNC stands for "Terribly New Connector". :-)

Geoff

I first wrote "Navel" but changed it when I figured no one might get the
joke. ^_^

TDD
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:53:28 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The push on connectors were the 'G' series, and designed to be
matable with the 'F' series.

Not exactly. The "G" series was contrived to provide a connector
suitable for passing up to 15A of current. The cable companies have
always powered line amps from DC on the cable. That was fine with
semi-rigid coax and compression connectors that could handle the
current. However, when the amps shrank in size, a newer smaller
connector was needed. That was the Type G connector.
http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/typeg.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB51003571617F&

Most places selling them are absolutely
clueless, like selling DE9 connectors as DB9. Mass marketing to, for
and by idiots.

Well, lets see what Google can offer. Searching for DE9, I get
70,100,000 hits, while DB9 returns 8,830,000 hits. So about 12% are
clueless.

Actually, it should be DE9S or DE9P, but that's being picky.

If you want real fun, try to buy a 'HN' connector over the counter at
a wholesaler. ;-)

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/hn.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB510041D4E17F&
Hi-V. I've never seen or used one. There are plenty of other obscure
connectors.

The RF industry is full of specialized connectors. There was one
connector found on many wireless cards where I couldn't find a mating
plug. It turned out that there wasn't a mating plug. It was a test
connector with a conical entry.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/WG511.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:23:18 +0100, "Stephen"

PAL refers to the type of analogueTV standard rather than he type of
connector

There are at least three analogue TV broadcast systems, PAL, (Phase
Alternate Line), NTSC (National Television Standards Committee) and SECAM
(a variant of PAL where the audio and colour is carried in a different
way)

Belling Lee is a connector standard, nothing to do with PAL so its a
mistake on the website.

And for that matter, BNC twist on, so why are they in this discussion
at all (in other posts)? I just learned that B stands for bayonet.

I once had a salesman tell me it simply means "Bayonet Connector";
presumably the BN is BayoNet, as in TTY for TeleTYpe. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"The Ghost in The Machine"

OOPS!!! ON SECOND VIEWING THE ONE IN THE PIX IS USING CLASSY RCA
PLUGS,

** Wrong again.

Well, they looked like audiophool-grade RCAs to me; if not, then what
ARE they, or are you just having another tantrum?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-30, Man-wai Chang wrote:
We may both be wrong..
They look like RCA But they are in fact imports used on Antenna
Connections to Signal Amplifiers.

It's the TV antennae cable plug being used in Hong Kong, which was ruled
by UK before 1997. It's not RCA, the pin is shorter.

I wanna know the TECHNICAL name of that plug design.

When not called "tv coaxial antenna plug" (or some variation thereof)
I've heard it called called "Belling-Lee" or "PAL" (neither of which
are technically accurate).

compared to F connectors it has the advantage of withstanding more
insertion cycles, but the disadvantage of poor impedance matching.

Wikipedia suggests it is standardised as "IEC 169-2"

--
100% natural
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-30, Paul wrote:
Man-wai Chang wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...163450&sr=8-10

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

The UK version is mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug

"Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector,
more often simply known as TV aerial plug"

A lot of my wiring here (Canada), is done with F series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector

The RCA / Cinch connector is also a common
connector type on home electronics, being used
for audio and video. Compared to the Belling-Lee,
the central prong is longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

The antenna connector in my car, is like none
of those, so there is at least one other flavor,

The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_connector

--
100% natural
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 1 May 2011 10:57:55 GMT, Jasen Betts wrote:

The antenna connector in my car, is like none
of those, so there is at least one other flavor,

The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Motorola was the first or one of the first to make radios for motor
cars. Hence the name motor ola.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_connector

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-30, Paul wrote:
Man-wai Chang wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...163450&sr=8-10

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

The UK version is mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug

"Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector,
more often simply known as TV aerial plug"

A lot of my wiring here (Canada), is done with F series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector

The RCA / Cinch connector is also a common
connector type on home electronics, being used
for audio and video. Compared to the Belling-Lee,
the central prong is longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

The antenna connector in my car, is like none
of those, so there is at least one other flavor,

The car radio antenna plug is often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_connector

--
100% natural
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"Jasen Betts"

** Kiwi sheep shagger alert !

When not called "tv coaxial antenna plug" (or some variation thereof)
I've heard it called called "Belling-Lee" or "PAL" (neither of which
are technically accurate).

** The correct name for any thing, animal or person is that name by which it
is most commonly known.

Any other names are less correct.

Being technically accurate has nothing to do with names.

Or else, your correct name would be:

" tedious, PITA, sheep ****er and massive troll "

Get it ??

Betts you don't.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Probably at one time RCA had a patent on its connector and Motorola
had a patent on theirs.

It wasn't until the second world war that the concept of standarization
across manufacturers was pushed. Companies made their own parts, connectors,
etc, and tried to prevent competion.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
The Daring Dufas wrote:
I've also heard them called "British Naval Connectors".

In England some people joke that it stands for "Brand New Connector" and
the later TNC stands for "Terribly New Connector". :-)

** I was once told it stood for " Bloody Nice Connector " .......

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message

stuff snipped

It wasn't until the second world war that the concept of standarization
across manufacturers was pushed. Companies made their own parts,

connectors,
etc, and tried to prevent competion.

It seems that the manufacturers of anything battery-powered haven't gotten
the message. I have two shelves full of nearly identical batteries and
nearly identical chargers that are totally incompatible.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
It seems that the manufacturers of anything battery-powered haven't gotten
the message. I have two shelves full of nearly identical batteries and
nearly identical chargers that are totally incompatible.

While I personally think the world would be a better place if everyone
standardized on 1.2 volt AA batteries (preferably NiMH at the moment) it's
a loosing battle.

You would figure that after the battery disaster with the original iPod
Apple would have done something better but it seems that their customers
prefer internal batteries that need to be replace by a technician or the
entire device recycled.

Come to think of it, every pocket music or video player I have ever seen
except for the first, a 256meg USB stick, had a "permanent" battery.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 5:39*am, Man-wai Chang wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...White/dp/B003S...

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors. Cheap to
make, they simply slide on the chassis threaded F. They are horrible
and cause a lot of issues as they do not allow proper and tight
sheilding.

e-ya later!
Klay Anderson's iPhone 4/iOS4.3.2
Try FaceTime!

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

"Klay_Anderson" wrote in message

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors.
Cheap to make, they simply slide on the chassis threaded F.
They are horrible and cause a lot of issues as they do not
allow proper and tight sheilding.

I don't think that's correct. An F connector normally uses the center
conductor of the cable -- a wire -- as the center connection -- not an
RCA-like plug.

The press-on F connectors I've seen use a slotted jacket that usually fits
snugly and rarely causes problems.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors. Cheap to
make, they simply slide on the chassis threaded F. They are horrible
and cause a lot of issues as they do not allow proper and tight
sheilding.

Look at the "shell" carefully: no screw...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:29*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly
universally called it the "double banana" plug.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly
universally called it the "double banana" plug.

The "GR" connector is *not* a "double banana". The GR connector is a
hermaphroditic connector about an inch in diameter.

Some GR to BNC in the first pic and a GR 'T's in the second and third:

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/RF-connectors.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly
universally called it the "double banana" plug.

The "GR" connector is *not* a "double banana". *The GR connector is a
hermaphroditic connector about an inch in diameter.

Some GR to BNC in the first pic and a GR 'T's in the second and third:

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/RF-connectors.htm

I mean the 1924 GR plug, not some modern 1960s RF connector.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 May 2011 08:52:59 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
wrote:

Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly
universally called it the "double banana" plug.

The "GR" connector is *not* a "double banana". *The GR connector is a
hermaphroditic connector about an inch in diameter.

Some GR to BNC in the first pic and a GR 'T's in the second and third:

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/RF-connectors.htm

I mean the 1924 GR plug, not some modern 1960s RF connector.

'60s? guffaw
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 21:29:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 4/30/2011 10:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
All of you are all wrong.. The plugs that are on the white cable in the
Weblink is in fact known as Belling Lee. They are used all over Great
Britain for both FM and UHF TV The ones in the pic are the male version of
Belling Lee.

I can't find a BNC female to Belling Lee adaptor in Amazon US...

In fact Amazon US doesn't have any electronics item with "Belling Lee"
in its specification.

In the US they are called PAL connectors.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103468

Geoff.

Officially, on both sides of the pond, they are referred to as IEC
169-2, or IEC 60169-2 connectors, and they are CRAP for TV usage as
they are not a proper match to 75 ohm cable - actually closer to 50
ohm, and cause reflections and ghosting of the signal

The IEC 169-24, or "F" connector is superior for TV use.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:

The car radio antenna plug is often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_connector

I didn't realize it was that common.

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Apr 30, 7:39*am, Man-wai Chang wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Co...White/dp/B003S...

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

--
* *@~@ * Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
* / v \ *Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) *Linux 2.6.38.4
* *^ ^ * 19:36:01 up 5 days 23:37 1 user load average:1.09 1.05 1.05
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa

The name of the plug is, how an RCA phonograph plug should have been
made.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

" tedious, PITA, sheep ****er and massive troll "

Oh, dear, Phil's broken again.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Klay_Anderson wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:39*am, Man-wai Chang wrote:

What's the name of the plugs in USA?

It seems that USA televisions only use F Type connectors.

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors.

Not the ones I saw in the picture. The center pin is WAY too fat
for an F. They're simply audiophool-style RCA connectors with a solid
shell that looks "kewl".

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Klay_Anderson" wrote in message

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors.
Cheap to make, they simply slide on the chassis threaded F.
They are horrible and cause a lot of issues as they do not
allow proper and tight sheilding.

I don't think that's correct. An F connector normally uses the center
conductor of the cable -- a wire -- as the center connection -- not an
RCA-like plug.

The press-on F connectors I've seen use a slotted jacket that usually fits
snugly and rarely causes problems.

And are good for about ten or twenty insertions before they get loose.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Probably at one time RCA had a patent on its connector and Motorola
had a patent on theirs.

It wasn't until the second world war that the concept of standarization
across manufacturers was pushed. Companies made their own parts,
connectors, etc, and tried to prevent competion.

A car antenna connector (AM band) has an "inside-out" shell:
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...e.php?pID=8818

Hope This Helps!
Rich