Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair

Default Name of plug in US

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:53:28 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The push on connectors were the 'G' series, and designed to be
matable with the 'F' series.

Not exactly. The "G" series was contrived to provide a connector
suitable for passing up to 15A of current. The cable companies have
always powered line amps from DC on the cable. That was fine with
semi-rigid coax and compression connectors that could handle the
current. However, when the amps shrank in size, a newer smaller
connector was needed. That was the Type G connector.
http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/typeg.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB51003571617F&

Most places selling them are absolutely
clueless, like selling DE9 connectors as DB9. Mass marketing to, for
and by idiots.

Well, lets see what Google can offer. Searching for DE9, I get
70,100,000 hits, while DB9 returns 8,830,000 hits. So about 12% are
clueless.

Actually, it should be DE9S or DE9P, but that's being picky.

If you want real fun, try to buy a 'HN' connector over the counter at
a wholesaler. ;-)

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/hn.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB510041D4E17F&
Hi-V. I've never seen or used one. There are plenty of other obscure
connectors.

The RF industry is full of specialized connectors. There was one
connector found on many wireless cards where I couldn't find a mating
plug. It turned out that there wasn't a mating plug. It was a test
connector with a conical entry.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/WG511.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann