Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220 volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the shared
neutral?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 2:06*am, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Ummm yeah... Why would you want to plug a 20 amp 240 volt appliance
which uses a NEMA 6-20 cord configuration into a 30 amp outlet made
for
a NEMA 10-30 cord configuration by means of using a cord adapter which
you have created yourself...

There is a reason why the outlets for vastly different amperage
ratings do
not fit into each other... SAFETY...

Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your
home so you can use your compressor safely on a circuit which is not
capable of supplying more power than your appliance is rated for which
could damage it or cause an accident of some kind...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:06:44 +0000 (UTC), Elmo
wrote:

I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220 volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle,

Huh?

would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the shared
neutral?

Instead of assuming such things, why not get a meter that measures
resistance and figure out whicih wire goes to which prong in each
cord? Hint: There is no neutral in a 220 volt appliance or its cord.
Two wires will be hot relative to ground and the ground wire should
not be connected to the other two.

Also get a meter that goes up to 250 VAC and measure the voltage at
all three slots of the receptacle, relative to ground. Then you'll
know which 2 slos are hot, and which two prongs of the cord will be
hot, when connected to the appliance, and which need to be connected
to each other electrically (in the appliance).

This is not to say I think the project is a good idea. No comment on
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Elmo wrote:

I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor

Really? Two phase? How old is this gadget, anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Elmo" wrote in message
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220
volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I've seen thousands of dollars of damage done from people replacing plugs
and not realizing what they are doing....

Have the proper outlet, wiring, and circuit breaker installed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:

Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your
home so you can use your compressor safely on a circuit which is not
capable of supplying more power than your appliance is rated for which
could damage it or cause an accident of some kind...

Nonsense. I have a lamp here which states not to use more than a 100 watt
bulb, and uses an 18 gauge cord.

It plugs into a 15A receptacle, fed by a 14 gauge wire.

All of this is perfectly to code.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Yes, the L shaped prong is the nuetral on a 3 wire dryer. The other
two are the hots. Your compressor more likely needs 2 hots and a
ground. While what you are doing is not exactly by the book it will
run your compressor. The safety issue is that you will be using your
nuetral line for a ground and using a 30 amp circuit where a 20 amp
one is called for. What you really need to do is install a dedicated
220 outlet in the location of your compressor. Have you looked at the
compressor to see if it can be run on 110? Many motors have alternate
wiring that allows them to run on 220 or 110.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all
in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a
220 volt plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a
normal 120V grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts
(two hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220
volt plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord
to the recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

Yes. Find out if your compressor expects the third terminal to be a ground;
the third wire on your dryer is likely a neutral. If such is the case, you
will need to install a properly grounded outlet for your compressor.

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor, I have done
that with a welder, and to be honest, it gets old really fast. Eventually,
you will want to install a dedicated circuit, and the sooner the better.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 8:41 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Evan wrote:

Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your
home so you can use your compressor safely on a circuit which is not
capable of supplying more power than your appliance is rated for which
could damage it or cause an accident of some kind...

Nonsense. I have a lamp here which states not to use more than a 100 watt
bulb, and uses an 18 gauge cord.

It plugs into a 15A receptacle, fed by a 14 gauge wire.

All of this is perfectly to code.

Jon

I don't believe you will find a code reference that allows what the OP
described since your example doesn't scale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Elmo" wrote in message
[...]

Your setup will work as you describe. The Nec prohibits using a 20 amp
receptacle on a 30 amp circuit.
Provided that the motor has built in overcurrent protection, I would install
a 30 amp dryer cord set directly on the compressor

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Elmo wrote:
[...]

The third terminal on a three wire dryer outlet is a neutral/ground, and by
code must original in the main service panel and not a sub panel

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor, I have done
that with a welder, and to be honest, it gets old really fast.
Eventually, you will want to install a dedicated circuit, and the sooner
the better.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan wrote:
Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your home ... which is not capable of supplying more power than your
appliance is rated for

I agree with Evan, the right way to power the compressor with the NEMA
6-20P plug (20amp rating), is to hire an electrician to add a dedicated
220V NEMA 6-20R receptacle with a 30 amp dedicated circuit breaker.

Or to have that electrician swap out the existing NEMA 6-20R with a NEMA
6-20R and to swap out the 30 amp breaker with one with only a 20 amp
rating.

However, the cost of hiring the electrician to change the circuit is more
than that of buying a new compressor with, say, standard 110 volt power.

I use the compressor maybe once every six months. Unknowns in the adapter
setup are what I'm asking about here.

The unknowns to overcome by asking this post a
a) How do I test if the NEMA10-30R is on a sub panel or not?
b) Did I select the right pin ground in the NEMA 6-20R receptacle as the
L-shaped neutral in the NEMA10-30P plug?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:51:43 -0400, mm wrote:
Also get a meter that goes up to 250 VAC and measure the voltage at
all three slots of the receptacle, relative to ground.

I did use the Fluke DMM to measure the connections; I was just double
checking which was the ground/neutral because I didn't wire the house in
the first place.

The ground in the two-phase 220v compressor NEMA 6-20P plug should be the
center pin and the ground/neutral in the NEMA10-30R dryer receptacle should
be the L-shaped center prong.

The two questions I would like to ask here a
a) How do I know if the NEMA10-30R is on a sub panel (it's inches from the
main panel on the other side of the wall outside the garage)?
b) Are my tests correct that the ground on the 20-amp NEMA 6-20P plug is
"equivalent" to the ground/neutral on the 30-amp NEMA10-30R receptacle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 1:06 AM, Elmo wrote:
[...]

I'm suspecting that out of all these replies, NONE are correct. What i
suspect is that you have a 20a plug on a 120V compressor and you just
don't have any 20a 120v outlets in your house. Better look a little
closer at everything before you feed that unit 240v.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:04:05 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
Really? Two phase? How old is this gadget, anyway?

You know, I bought it that damn Sears Craftsman compressor on a whim in a
sale in the 80's. It was (on sale), about 350 or 400 bucks.

Then, when I brought the huge thing home, I realized I didn't have an
outlet for it, so I just let it sit for a year or so. Then I moved, and
didn't have an outlet for it, so I let it sit for a few years. Finally I
moved to a place that had the outlet, and I used it every six months or so
to blow up the kids toys. I moved again, and guess what, no outlet.

Funny thing is that I've seen Sears compressors on sale over and over and
over and over again for, guess what, just about 350 or 400 bucks. They
never changed prices in decades. Amazing.

In hind sight, I never should have bought it as I barely used it due to the
cord and the lack of needs.

However, I still have it. And I actually want to blow up a kids toy and
then figured I'd plug the NEMA 6-20P into an adaptor consisting of a NEMA
6-20R and a NEMA10-30P and then connect to the NEMA10-30R fused by a 30-amp
circuit for my 20-amp compressor.

I was just asking advice, specifically:
a) How do I know that I'm NOT on a sub panel?
b) Did I pick the correct ground/neutral?

Is there anything else I didn't think of (before I plug it in)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 1:06 AM, Elmo wrote:
[...]

does it look like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2dd6t2h

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:33:00 -0700, Bill wrote:
Have the proper outlet, wiring, and circuit breaker installed!

Let's look at this from a "safety" standpoint, which is your point.

The "proper" way to do this, all will agree, is to spend more than the
compressor is worth to install a 20-amp dedicated NEMA 6-20R receptacle.

However, from a safety standpoint, if anyone can show me how plugging the
20-amp NEMA 6-20P through an adapter to the 30-amp NEMA10-30P receptacle is
inherently more dangerous, then I'll listen.

Of course, I do realize that the "equipment" won't be protected to 20 amps
(it will be protected to 30 amps); but I'm not at all worried about the
30-year old compressor burning up.

The "house" wiring is still protected to 30 amps, which is what matters.

And "safety" is the same (as far as I can tell) since we're using exactly
the same two hots and the same ground/neutral.

Or did I miss something critical in that analysis?
Advice always welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 1:06 AM, Elmo wrote:
[...]

Here's a better comparison, scroll down to the 20a section. It seems it
could be a 120v OR a 240v depending on which side the sideways blade is on.

http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 7/25/2010 1:06 AM, Elmo wrote:
[...]

Very good point. Most of these small compressors run 120 or 240 volts, and
do require a 20 amp plug @120 volt. It is entirely probable that the OP is
looking at a 20 amp 120 volt plug and not a 20 amp 240 volt plug, which are
very similar looking

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:

Yes, the L shaped prong is the nuetral on a 3 wire dryer. The other
two are the hots. ...

It is ground serving (per applicable Code of the time) as ground/shared
neutral.

Your compressor more likely needs 2 hots and a
ground. While what you are doing is not exactly by the book it will
run your compressor.

It is _exactly_ by current book for 240V service w/ the 240V load there
is no need for the neutral; therefore the ground is no longer serving as
a shared neutral only as ground.

The safety issue is that you will be using your
nuetral line for a ground and using a 30 amp circuit where a 20 amp
one is called for. What you really need to do is install a dedicated
220 outlet in the location of your compressor. Have you looked at the
compressor to see if it can be run on 110? Many motors have alternate
wiring that allows them to run on 220 or 110.

No, NO, _NO_! There is no safety issue; as above the 3rd conductor in a
shared utility (dryer) outlet _IS_ the ground conductor; the NEC
formerly allowed it to be shared function of also serving the neutral.
It is wired to the ground bus, _NOT_ the neutral.

The second misconception here is that there's some proscription against
a higher-rated circuit supply a lesser-rated load--that again is simply
nonsense. The 30A circuit breaker/fuse is there to protect the circuit,
_NOT_ the load; the load will have its own overload protection for that
purpose.

While I'll agree it's certainly a nuisance factor to have a humongous
30A dryer plug on the end of the cord for a small compressor, it is not
an issue whatsoever from a safety (or Code, for that matter) standpoint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:41:59 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
What you really need to do is install a dedicated 220 outlet

I agree that's the by-the-book method. However, the cost of having an
electrician replace the 30-amp NEMA 10-30R with a 20-amp NEMA 6-20R is more
than the cost of a compressor that runs off of 110.

Have you looked at the compressor to see if it can be run on 110?

I didn't realize the 30-year old Sears Craftsman compressor COULD run on
110. How would I know? (I'll try to dig up a model number and google it
after this reply.)

The safety issue is that you will be using your nuetral line
for a ground and using a 30 amp circuit where a 20 amp
one is called for.

But wouldn't the neutral line ALREADY be used as a ground in the NEMA
10-30R dryer circuit were I to plug in a dryer to that circuit?

Isn't the compressor the same as the dryer from an electrical standpoint
with respect to the ground/neutral wire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:46:47 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Find out if your compressor expects the third terminal to be a ground;
the third wire on your dryer is likely a neutral. If such is the case, you
will need to install a properly grounded outlet for your compressor.

Isn't a ground for the compressor NEMA 6-20P plug the same as the neutral
for the dryer NEMA 10-30R receptacle?

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor

Actually, I should have mentioned, there is no sharing. There is no dryer
on this spare receptacle in the garage. The dryer is on a separate NEMA
10-30R in the house. I do agree that unplugging a dryer once every six
months to use the compressor would be a pain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:

However, from a safety standpoint, if anyone can show me how plugging the
20-amp NEMA 6-20P through an adapter to the 30-amp NEMA10-30P receptacle is
inherently more dangerous, then I'll listen.

Assuming the adapter is compliant it isn't...

Of course, I do realize that the "equipment" won't be protected to 20 amps
(it will be protected to 30 amps); but I'm not at all worried about the
30-year old compressor burning up.

The compressor motor will have it's own overload protection.

The "house" wiring is still protected to 30 amps, which is what matters.

That's all the circuit breakers protect against for anything plugged
into them; there's no difference in the case of the dryer being plugged
into the outlet as the compressor; the internal dryer motor isn't a 30A
device by any stretch, either.

And "safety" is the same (as far as I can tell) since we're using exactly
the same two hots and the same ground/neutral.

Correct, and in fact w/ the compressor being a 240V load only, there is
no need for and no neutral current. The shared conductor is serving
only the ground function at that time, just as would the third conductor
in a 20A plug connection.

Or did I miss something critical in that analysis?

No...the others are simply incorrect in understanding of Code and
perhaps even function of three-wire dryer circuit...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:11:57 -0400, George wrote:
I don't believe you will find a code reference that allows what the OP
described since your example doesn't scale.

I wondered about that. Does the "code" cover temperary adapters?

Doesn't the code only apply to the wiring in the walls?

This is an adapter, which is not permanently connected.

And, the wiring is the same, either way, as far as I can tell. The only
ground/neutral difference I see is the NEMA 6-20P ground for the compressor
is connected to the NEMA 10-30R ground/neutral for the dryer. But isn't
that dryer neutral connected directly to ground anyway at the panel on the
other side of the wall?

And, the 20-amp rating for the compressor is connected to a 30-amp breaker
instead of a 20-amp breaker. But, that will still protect the wiring in the
wall from 30 amp surges (it just won't protect the compressor).

Right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Elmo" wrote
Funny thing is that I've seen Sears compressors on sale over and over and
over and over again for, guess what, just about 350 or 400 bucks. They
never changed prices in decades. Amazing.

But I bet they cheapened it and now is made in China, or at least major
parts of it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:39:13 -0400, RBM wrote:
It is entirely probable that the OP is looking at a 20 amp 120 volt plug
and not a 20 amp 240 volt plug, which are very similar looking

It was my fault for not explaining clearly.

The plug on the compressor is a NEMA 6-20P (not a NEMA 5-20P); but I do
agree that's a great point to doublecheck.
http://www.jkem.com/pictures/NEMA%20...ng%20Plugs.gif

Here's also what the plate says:
"240V 15 Amp Sears Craftsman model 919.176940".
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:41:59 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
What you really need to do is install a dedicated 220 outlet

I agree that's the by-the-book method. However, the cost of having an
electrician replace the 30-amp NEMA 10-30R with a 20-amp NEMA 6-20R is more
than the cost of a compressor that runs off of 110.

Have you looked at the compressor to see if it can be run on 110?

I didn't realize the 30-year old Sears Craftsman compressor COULD run on
110. How would I know? (I'll try to dig up a model number and google it
after this reply.)

The motor will marked as dual-voltage if it can...wouldn't be too
surprising but I'd stick w/ 240V as you'll need double the amps for 110V
and you may well be in worse conundrum of not having a circuit w/ the
ampacity to run it on 120V...

The safety issue is that you will be using your nuetral line
for a ground and using a 30 amp circuit where a 20 amp
one is called for.

But wouldn't the neutral line ALREADY be used as a ground in the NEMA
10-30R dryer circuit were I to plug in a dryer to that circuit?

There's that turning around of the actual situation on a dryer outlet
wiring again for one and the misconception regarding the point of 30A
circuit protection having anything to do w/ the load plugged into the
outlet. Both are simply wrong.

The third conductor is _NOT_ the neutral serving as ground, it is
THE_GROUND_CONDUCTOR_ sharing service as the neutral for the 120V
components in the dryer (motor/lights/timer/etc.).

For the other, the 30A breaker is there to protect the circuit wiring;
it is the responsibility of the load to have the correct protection for
itself internally.

Isn't the compressor the same as the dryer from an electrical standpoint
with respect to the ground/neutral wire?

For the 240V components (the heater elements) of the dryer, yes;
identically. There is no 120V load on the compressor so the need for
the sharing of ground/neutral disappears and is, therefore, fully
compliant with current NEC for 240V loads whereas the dryer would
require a four-wire connection to be compliant to current NEC. From
that standpoint, the compressor is "more correct" than the intended use
of the dryer on the circuit (that _was_ compliant w/ NEC of the time, of
course).

Again, if the adapter you're using is compliant and well made, ignore
the do-gooders' advice here--they mean well but are simply misinformed
or overly cautious or just don't understand (or maybe even all of the
above ).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Elmo" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:46:47 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Find out if your compressor expects the third terminal to be a ground;
the third wire on your dryer is likely a neutral. If such is the case,
you
will need to install a properly grounded outlet for your compressor.

Isn't a ground for the compressor NEMA 6-20P plug the same as the neutral
for the dryer NEMA 10-30R receptacle?

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor

Actually, I should have mentioned, there is no sharing. There is no dryer
on this spare receptacle in the garage. The dryer is on a separate NEMA
10-30R in the house. I do agree that unplugging a dryer once every six
months to use the compressor would be a pain.

If that's the case, why don't you just replace the breaker and receptacle
with a 20 amp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:35:44 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
does it look like this:
http://tinyurl.com/2dd6t2h

I do appreciate the double check (as that's what this thread is all
about!).

Check twice, plug in once!

You show what appears to be a NEMA 5-20P; I have the NEMA 6-20P. The
difference is (looking at the plug head on with the ground up), my sidewise
blade is on the right whereas that plug's sidewise blade is on the left.

http://www.jkem.com/pictures/NEMA%20...ng%20Plugs.gif

I've had the compressor for 30 years and barely used it because of this
damn plug. If I can give any advice to a young 30 year old kid buying his
first compressor, it would be to get a 110V smaller one!

BTW, the plate on the wheeled tank says:
Sears Craftsman model 919.176940 240 volts 15 amps
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:46:47 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Find out if your compressor expects the third terminal to be a ground;
the third wire on your dryer is likely a neutral. If such is the case, you
will need to install a properly grounded outlet for your compressor.

It's a ground that shares neutral function, not vice versa...

Isn't a ground for the compressor NEMA 6-20P plug the same as the neutral
for the dryer NEMA 10-30R receptacle?

Yes, addressed elsewhere...

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor

Actually, I should have mentioned, there is no sharing. There is no dryer
on this spare receptacle in the garage. ...

In that case, the simple (and relatively inexpensive) solution would be
to swap to a 20A breaker to support the proper 20A outlet style to plug
the compressor in directly. There's nothing wrong w/ the wiring being
_larger_ than required for the ampacity of the circuit; all it does is
mean there will be even less voltage drop than otherwise would be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:38:16 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
Here's a better comparison, scroll down to the 20a section.
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

I like YOUR reference better than mine:
http://www.jkem.com/pictures/NEMA%20...ng%20Plugs.gif

Because yours answers one of my questions, which is to doublecheck which is
the green ground wire in the NEMA 6-20P (g) to mate with the white
ground/neutral in the NEMA 10-30R (w) via the NEMA 6-20R-to-NEMA 10-30P
adapter.

Your chart has little W's and G's and "X" and "Y" for the hot black wires.

I presume the "w" stands for white, does it not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:08:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
But I bet they cheapened it and now is made in China

I just googled my 30-year-old Sears Craftsman model 919.176940 and, as
expected, couldn't find it for sale new anymore to check the prices.

But, used, it's 60 bucks!
http://www.propertyroom.com/ItemDetails.aspx?l=7499498

Because of this NEMA 6-20P plug, I've almost never used the 350 or 400
dollar compressor that I bought "because it was on sale" thirty years ago
when I was just a kid.

It looks like I can still get parts for it at
http://www.searspartsdirect.com

But no manual for the 20-gallon 125psi air compressor seems to exist on the
net.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:

Because yours answers one of my questions, which is to doublecheck which is
the green ground wire in the NEMA 6-20P (g) to mate with the white
ground/neutral in the NEMA 10-30R (w) via the NEMA 6-20R-to-NEMA 10-30P
adapter.

As noted elsewhere, you'd be better served to go to 20A breaker/plug and
junk the adapter, though...

Your chart has little W's and G's and "X" and "Y" for the hot black wires.

I presume the "w" stands for white, does it not?

Strictly speaking, it's "neutral"; but conventional (USA, anyway) wiring
is white for neutral, yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 9:26 AM, Elmo wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:38:16 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
Here's a better comparison, scroll down to the 20a section.
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

I like YOUR reference better than mine:
http://www.jkem.com/pictures/NEMA%20...ng%20Plugs.gif

Because yours answers one of my questions, which is to doublecheck which is
the green ground wire in the NEMA 6-20P (g) to mate with the white
ground/neutral in the NEMA 10-30R (w) via the NEMA 6-20R-to-NEMA 10-30P
adapter.

Your chart has little W's and G's and "X" and "Y" for the hot black wires.

I presume the "w" stands for white, does it not?

yes, that's correct

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:54:47 -0500, dpb wrote:
Assuming the adapter is compliant it isn't...

You seem to understand the situation the best.

The adapter is a standard metal box with the NEMA-6-20R and a three-inch
long strain relief for the dryer cord securely attached to the metal box.

The only problem I had was the dryer cord had three brass "circles" as the
connection point but the NEMA-6-20R had screws which didn't expect to be
taken out to accomodate circular connections. The last few threads removing
the screws "broke" something, as the screws are clearly designed to stay
in.

When I removed the three screws (two brass for the black wires and one
green-painted steel for the ground/neutral wire), it was hard to get them
back in.

I wondered if it was the male screw or the female hole that "stripped" when
these type of stay-in screws are removed. I guessed it was the female part
that stripped, so I cleaned it up with an 8x20 tap and guess what.

The screws went right in.

The DESIGN of these things is amazing. What is the reason for the screws
being designed not to come all the way out. And, did I compromise something
by cleaning up whatever it was that strips when you do remove the screws?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:14:40 -0500, dpb wrote:
The third conductor is _NOT_ the neutral serving as ground, it is
THE_GROUND_CONDUCTOR_ sharing service as the neutral for the 120V
components in the dryer (motor/lights/timer/etc.).

Very well stated!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:

The DESIGN of these things is amazing. What is the reason for the screws
being designed not to come all the way out. And, did I compromise something
by cleaning up whatever it was that strips when you do remove the screws?

a) So they don't get lost????

b) No.

At manufacture the screws are inserted then deformed on the ends to
prevent accidentally backing them out fully. The plugs aren't designed
for other than wire loop around the screw so there's normally no need to
remove them so it's a convenience to have the resistance. Since you had
the ring terminals, what you did is fine.

I'd still suggest consideration of the conversion to a 20A circuit for a
permanent solution, however, altho I'll agree the solution is safe and
electrically compliant w/ Code intention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 11:07*am, dpb wrote:
Elmo wrote:

The DESIGN of these things is amazing. What is the reason for the screws
being designed not to come all the way out. And, did I compromise something
by cleaning up whatever it was that strips when you do remove the screws?

a) So they don't get lost???? *

b) No.

At manufacture the screws are inserted then deformed on the ends to
prevent accidentally backing them out fully. *The plugs aren't designed
for other than wire loop around the screw so there's normally no need to
remove them so it's a convenience to have the resistance. *Since you had
the ring terminals, what you did is fine.

I'd still suggest consideration of the conversion to a 20A circuit for a
permanent solution, however, altho I'll agree the solution is safe and
electrically compliant w/ Code intention.

--

I agree. If this is an"extra" dryer outlet in the garage I'd take
consider switching it. A 20 amp breaker is only about $10. Another
Posted to alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:38:16 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
Here's a better comparison, scroll down to the 20a section.
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

I like YOUR reference better than mine:
http://www.jkem.com/pictures/NEMA%20...ng%20Plugs.gif

Because yours answers one of my questions, which is to doublecheck which is
the green ground wire in the NEMA 6-20P (g) to mate with the white
ground/neutral in the NEMA 10-30R (w) via the NEMA 6-20R-to-NEMA 10-30P
adapter.

Your chart has little W's and G's and "X" and "Y" for the hot black wires.

I presume the "w" stands for white, does it not?

Jesus Christ, with all this advice you will be lucky if you don't burn
the house down and put the lights out in the whole neighborhood. Just
go to Home Depot and get a receptacle that fits the plug. Turn off the
breakers and remove the old 30 amp receptacle and install the new 20 amp
one. The "hot" wires go on the outside screws they should be colored
and the ground/neutral on the middle one white if it was done correctly,
might be bare if someone took a short cut. Flip the breakers back on
and there should be 115 volts between each of the outside holes to
neutral/ground holes and 220 volts from outside hole to outside hole.
Plug the thing in and turn it on and get that basket ball aired up.
Working air compressors are just real handy to have around, I use
mine for lots of things, great for blowing out a dusty old computer,
adjusting the pressure in the car tires, gobs of uses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:06:44 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Here's the summary after reading all the posts, especially djb's (Dave
Bot..o perhaps?) posts.

1. The BEST approach is, all agree, to replace the NEMA 10-30R dedicated
dryer receptacle and 30 amp breaker with a NEMA 6-20R and a 20 amp breaker.

2. However, the use of a well-made adapter will be just as safe and
"compliant" to code, for temporary use (e.g., once every few months for a
few minutes).

3. The two 120V hot wires match up one-to-one; what doesn't match (at
first) are the two inconsistencies (a) amperage, and (b) ground/neutral

4. Taking amperage first, the 30 amp circuit is protecting the house
wiring, not the load. The 15 amp load will not cause a safety hazard to the
house wiring. The load has its own overcurrent protection on the motor.

5. Taking the contentious ground/neutral situation next, djb summed it up
best by clarifying the W wire in the grandfathered NEMA 10-30R receptacle
is a ground for the 240 volts of the compressor. So it's a one-to-one match
of the NEMA 6-20P plug ground to the NEMA 10-30R receptacle ground (via the
adapter cord).

6. If we were to plug in a non-existent dryer, then (and only then), would
the NEMA 10-30R receptacle ground wire be also carrying dual duty as the
110 volt neutral (for the dryer 110V circuitry).

In summary, it appears, as long as my adapter is well made (picture of it
below), it's safe (even safer than plugging in a dryer) to plug in the cord
that I made.

A picture of the adapter cord and compressor is he
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/006ary.jpg/
http://img153.imageshack.us/i/005tqn.jpg/
http://img714.imageshack.us/i/004wtt.jpg/
http://img525.imageshack.us/i/003zpn.jpg/