Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Name of plug in US

On May 1, 8:35*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 1 May 2011 08:00:41 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
wrote:

On May 1, 4:29*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola"
no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia
doesn't seem to know it.

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola.
It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly
universally called it the "double banana" plug.

The "GR" connector is *not* a "double banana". *The GR connector is a
hermaphroditic connector about an inch in diameter.

Some GR to BNC in the first pic and a GR 'T's in the second and third:

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/RF-connectors.htm

I mean the 1924 GR plug, not some modern 1960s RF connector.