Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
Stephen[_13_] Stephen[_13_] is offline

Default Name of plug in US

I can assure you that PAL refers to an analogue broadcast standard. What the
Americans call a "PAL connector" is really strictly speaking a Belling Lee.

It sounds like "PAL connector has become everyday language in USA, just
like "Hoover" or "Xerox" whereas strictly speakign they are vacuum cleaner
and photocopier respectively.

Here in Great Britain, the F- connector is used for connecting satellite
dishes to the recievers or by the cable TV networks.

I persoanlly prefer F connector to Belling Lee as the latter can easily fall
out of the socket whereas F connectors dont.

Stephen.

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:
PAL refers to the type of analogueTV standard rather than he type of
connector

Not in the US. They were called PAL connectors because only PAL TV sets
and
VCR's used them. They were only sold in shops which catered to foreign
tourists, Indians and saliors. All three of which bought them in the US
because of the low taxes and then took or sent them "home".

Over the years I've referred to F connecters as NTSC connectors when
someone
called the Belling-Lee ones PAL connectors, but no one got the joke. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.