Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop not charging.

T i m wrote in
:

I did start going through the 6 cells with Ah measuring recycler but
'she' needed this working. So, as the lid goes flat I'm measuring the
lowest voltage cell and replacing it with a known good one in the hope
I'll end up with the best matched set. ;-)

FYI,your "she" is usually referred to as "SWMBO";She Who Must Be Obeyed.

AKA "wife","number one(and only)squeeze","missus",etc.

8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik Inscribed thus:

T i m wrote in
:

I did start going through the 6 cells with Ah measuring recycler but
'she' needed this working. So, as the lid goes flat I'm measuring the
lowest voltage cell and replacing it with a known good one in the
hope I'll end up with the best matched set. ;-)

FYI,your "she" is usually referred to as "SWMBO";She Who Must Be
Obeyed.

AKA "wife","number one(and only)squeeze","missus",etc.

8-)

Very definitely SWMBO... or else... ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik Inscribed thus:

IMO,those "chipped" suppplies/battery packs are just an effort to
monopolize their products,so you can't use generic chargers or battery
packs and save money.
The "generic" charger or battery pack just has it's internal ID chip
programmed to suit a particular manufacturer,and a "brand name" tag
applied,raising the price and profit margin.

Thats very much my sentiments !
The cheap Chinese clones look identical but don't always work as
expected. I would guess that they come out of the same factory, but by
the back door, with or without approval.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 19:24:45 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Jim Yanik Inscribed thus:

T i m wrote in
:

I did start going through the 6 cells with Ah measuring recycler but
'she' needed this working. So, as the lid goes flat I'm measuring the
lowest voltage cell and replacing it with a known good one in the
hope I'll end up with the best matched set. ;-)

FYI,your "she" is usually referred to as "SWMBO";She Who Must Be
Obeyed.

AKA "wife","number one(and only)squeeze","missus",etc.

8-)

Very definitely SWMBO... or else... ;-)

Ah, but luckily this 'Mrs right(now)' is on the scene because Mrs-No-1
was given her marching orders. This one can stay as long as she
continues to behave herself and cooks me the best 'full English' once
a week that I've ever tasted.

This is the right way and how it was meant to be. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 13:05:13 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

But then I have never seen why we need so many different cars, washing
machines, TVs .....

different people want different features.

Yes, but not as many features as options available I bet? And how much
energy is going into this duplication.

What I'm suggesting is that there are netbooks, notebooks, laptops and
desktop replacements and IMHO most people would be happy with many of
the examples of each, especially if they were given them for free for
example.

I prefer small cars that handle well and have "ample accelleration",while
others want armored tanks that ride like boats and seat half a dozen.

I guess the issue is (and this is an oft seen human trait) of the
constant *******isation of utility things for (what could be seen as
if you get down to the nuts_and_bolts) an irrelevant cause. Like, IC
engined 'cars' evolved for transport, to carry you and you goods from
A to B. Easier to keep than a horse and quicker to get ready than a
steam plant. So, as soon as two get side by side we invent 'racing'.
;-(

There are only two types of car for me. An estate or 'free' (or very
cheap) as long as it can work for me.

The only car I've bought from new was my Company Sierra Estate and I
had that in the end for 23 years. Not once during that period did I
even consider anything else (other than for better fuel economy) as
that did all I ever wanted and more. Further it was very very
reliable. The other support guys chose hot-hatches and guess who they
came to when they wanted to move house etc. I always declined a
temporary 'swap' as a hot hatch was no use to me and especially so
without a towbar.

I guess my point is that most people could make good use of an estate
car but fewer could manage with a two seater or afford to run a Lambo.
But apparently that's not what it's all about (any more)? We are sold
the imagery of cruising the open road in the sunshine when the reality
is far from that for the vast majority.

IMO,those "chipped" suppplies/battery packs are just an effort to
monopolize their products,so you can't use generic chargers or battery
packs and save money.

If I may play devils advocate for a mo, they might also try to ensure
a bit of compatibility quality control and / or better design? Don't
get me wrong, I don't like being ripped off on anything and won't buy
a 'name' just because. However, there are times said name = quality or
safety and that sometimes can be good VFM.

The "generic" charger or battery pack just has it's internal ID chip
programmed to suit a particular manufacturer,and a "brand name" tag
applied,raising the price and profit margin.

And /could/ include some better quality control? OOI, the obviously
rip off / clone 'Dell' charger I have here (with Dell on the case and
everything) weighs half of that of a genuine charger? Do they use
lighter components or less of them I wonder. If less I wonder what
sort of stuff they left out?

Horses for courses (and racecourses) I guess. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T i m Inscribed thus:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 19:24:45 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Jim Yanik Inscribed thus:

T i m wrote in
:

I did start going through the 6 cells with Ah measuring recycler
but 'she' needed this working. So, as the lid goes flat I'm
measuring the lowest voltage cell and replacing it with a known
good one in the hope I'll end up with the best matched set. ;-)

FYI,your "she" is usually referred to as "SWMBO";She Who Must Be
Obeyed.

AKA "wife","number one(and only)squeeze","missus",etc.

8-)

Very definitely SWMBO... or else... ;-)

Ah, but luckily this 'Mrs right(now)' is on the scene because Mrs-No-1
was given her marching orders. This one can stay as long as she
continues to behave herself and cooks me the best 'full English' once
a week that I've ever tasted.

This is the right way and how it was meant to be. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Its true ! The way to a mans heart is through his stomach. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could explain the vernacular, such as "hot hatch" (sporty
hatch-back?), "tow-bar" (trailer hitch?), and is a Sierra Estate a
Chevy or what?
Thanks!
bob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:29:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

Maybe you could explain the vernacular,

Ah, sorry. ;-)

such as "hot hatch" (sporty
hatch-back?),

Yup ...

"tow-bar" (trailer hitch?),

Yup ...

and is a Sierra Estate a
Chevy or what?

Ford Sierra 2L GL estate. I think it was sold under the Merkur brand
in the States and possibly only the 3 door and a couple of other
variants?

And I drove it on the road not the pavement, it has bumpers, bonnet
and boot but wasn't converted to run on 'gas' (it ran on petrol). ;-)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1255/...fb0f3a0624.jpg
(looks very much like mine)

So, you got the first two right and it didn't really matter what the
estate car was (as long as you got it was an estate car as such) as it
was more the function than the make, model or size I was eluding to.
;-)

However, /this/ estate had the 2L Pinto engine that was good because
it was pretty unbustable and was very common across a wide range of
vehicles and years. That means spares were readily available should
you need them. The cam belt went once and 12 GBP and an hour later I
had fitted it myself and was driving home (safe engine = such things
don't wreck the engine).

I generally towed my 14' sailing dingy about but also a 1/2 tonne
goods trailer I built. We also have a folding caravan (trailer?) that
it towed easily. Daughters Yamaha TY80 trials bike would fit across
the back on a towbar mounted rack. My electrathon motorbike, my mates
electrically assisted cycle, my Sinclair C5 and all associated kit
would fit in the back a treat. ;-)

The 2/3 split rear seats folded down to provide a very flat loading
bay and the shape of the glass in the tailgate meant even if something
looked like it was sticking out it would often be encompassed by the
tailgate easily.

The long roof with gutters mean I could fit a decent roofbars (for
carrying canoes, timber or even 5m lengths of steel stock. ;-)

5 speed gearbox with a long 5th meant 70 mph motorway cruising was
pretty comfortable.

I never had any problem with the power steering, central locking,
electric windows, alarm or electric sunroof because it didn't have any
of them. ;-)

FWIW it could have been anything that offered the same versatility as
long as it offered the same reliability etc.

Being 'common' (they were std issue 'rep-mobiles' for quite a while)
and using parts common to several engines meant I rarely had to wait
for spares to be ordered from overseas, they were pretty cheap
(pattern parts) and were available anywhere. Comforting to know you
can get a fan belt or hose at most motorway services. ;-)

Same logic re my BMW R100RT or Honda CB250 'Nighthawk' motorcycles.
Also why we used a Ford Escort donor when we built the kitcar
(reliable and easy / cheap parts). Also why I have always built my own
PCs and may have had a Mac at the time had I been able to build my
own. And I've therefore always run Windows (still happily on XP)
because most things are available for and run on it.

If I buy a new soldering iron one of the things I would look for is
the availability of spare tips etc and would pay more for one with
better (parts) support.

These days though we have the extra choice of 'disposable'. ;-(

I put little value on named brands and even less on 'designer'.

We have few photos or pictures up at home and no 'mood lighting'.

Rather than worrying about the fact our car was now 3 years old or if
our walls were in the 'in' colour we would rather be out cycling,
boating, motorcycling , flying power kites or camping etc.

Luckily it takes all sorts though or how else would I get good but
broken stuff given to me to fix for myself! ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:33:40 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:35:58 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

p.s. I was wondering just how the original Dell battery declared
itself 'dead' and therefore, if I was to re-cell the original with the
cells from the clone, will it be happy (or have the electronics now
shut down for good)?

maybe it's better to buy generic laptops instead of name brands,and then
you can use generic chargers and battery packs.

Assuming they all aren't going that way as has been suggested then yes
I guess it would.

FWIW the only laptop I have ever bought new was a Compaq Contura and I
think that may have been a 386. The rest were mostly given to me
(broken) or sold cheap (low spec or with known faults) etc.

Daughters Dell Latitude came the cheap way (mate buys laptops by the
pallet) with an unknown BIOS password but £20 and t'internet had that
sorted. ;-)

Daughters b/f bought the Dell Inspiron 1545 new as did the owner of
the Studio 1535 I'm looking at now and in light of the current issues
I'm not sure if either would go that way again. However, how could you
tell if a laptop used 'tied' components like this?

Also, I wonder what proportion of laptop buyers go looking for cheap
replacement bits off eBay versus buying them straight off the
manufacturers web site (and therefore never 'seeing the problems')?

IN the case of the Dells I have here atm I'm not sure any of the
issues have said 'This is not a Dell battery / adaptor' but:

"This battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be
replaced".

"Warning: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery"

.. and similar with the power adaptors.

So presumably those could still happen whoever's brand sticker was on
the machine itself?

But yes, bring on the 'generic / modular' laptop (so it works more
like desktop clones) where not just things like optical drives can be
swapped between brands (and CPUs, RAM, HDDs etc) but system boards,
chargers and batteries.

Have been watching this thread with some interest. We travel with a
Dell Vostro 1400 (Aug08 delivery), and in late 2008 we left the PSU
behind in sthn Calif. Noticed its absence in Vegas, and happened upon
a pooter shop who had new generic (non-Dell-branded) PSU's at a decent
price compared to the genuine Dell product. On first use - as they
explained - the Vostro reported a non-genuine PSU but has worked fine
for the last two years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:54:59 +0800, who where wrote:

But yes, bring on the 'generic / modular' laptop (so it works more
like desktop clones) where not just things like optical drives can be
swapped between brands (and CPUs, RAM, HDDs etc) but system boards,
chargers and batteries.

Have been watching this thread with some interest. We travel with a
Dell Vostro 1400 (Aug08 delivery), and in late 2008 we left the PSU
behind in sthn Calif. Noticed its absence in Vegas, and happened upon
a pooter shop who had new generic (non-Dell-branded) PSU's at a decent
price compared to the genuine Dell product.

Ok.

On first use - as they
explained - the Vostro reported a non-genuine PSU but has worked fine
for the last two years.

Including charging the battery you mean?

I have two 'non Dell' power adaptors here. One looks very Dell, runs
but won't charge and another that is not so Dell looking that both
runs and charges on the D520 and 1545 (as does my Targus 90W adaptor).
We don't know if either will charge the 1535 yet as we don't have a
good / recognised one to try. ;-(

The copy charger that works has the spec of a 90W (if anything is to
be believed) but is reported (on all 3 Dell laptops) as being 150W!
;-)

I think what can actually happen may depend to some degree the
particular model. Daughters D520 is very happy with a clone battery
whereas the 1535 doesn't seem to want to play. That could be as much
down to the batteries of course.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well Tim, now I know what "estate" means (station wagon) and the
"Sierra" and "Cierra" names belong to GM in the States.
We have 2 cars...a Buick LaSabre (considered an old man's car) it's
large with excellent mileage (35mi/gal). The other is a 16 yr old
Saturn (the beater).
With the Buick, and its electronic readouts I realize how much gas we
waste "getting up to speed". If everyone "actually" knew how much gas
they were wasting "with a heavy foot" we would save an immense amount
of "petrol"!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 04:50:59 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

Well Tim,

Hello ;-)

now I know what "estate" means (station wagon)

We used to have styles we called 'Countryman' I would more typically
associate with what would come to mind when you said 'station wagon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...countryman.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/1960-19...aveller-RA.htm
http://mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1282950349_12800

As opposed to an estate which is more like this:

http://www.naturalburialgrounds.com/...ily_Estate.jpg
Or even this!
http://classic-car.y2u.co.uk/Photo_c...Estate_Car.jpg

but I'm probably thinking about The Waltons. ;-)

and the
"Sierra" and "Cierra" names belong to GM in the States.

Ah.

We have 2 cars...a Buick LaSabre (considered an old man's car) it's
large with excellent mileage (35mi/gal).

I have what sounds like the equivalent, a Rover 218SD. Nearer 50 UKmpg
though.

The other is a 16 yr old
Saturn (the beater).

K.

With the Buick, and its electronic readouts I realize how much gas we
waste "getting up to speed". If everyone "actually" knew how much gas
they were wasting "with a heavy foot" we would save an immense amount
of "petrol"!

;-)

Our company had a basic Ford Escort 1.1 (hatchback) that had 'economy'
lights. Basically they were just connected to sensors on the inlet
manifold and measured the vacuum. Green was good, amber you were
pushing a bit and red, well. If you were bothered it was actually
quite revealing (as you say) with even a slight headwind or incline
seeing the lights go from green to amber as you automatically
compensated with your right foot to keep the road speed constant (and
noting you couldn't do with a vacuum gauge of course). ;-)

And as they say 'you can manage what you can measure'.

Getting back on topic I guess that's partly why I got into electronics
at a fairly early age (17). For most people 'electricity' is invisible
but with the right tools (scopes, DMM, magnetic pickups, frequency
counters and spectrum analysers etc etc) it often becomes very visual.
Add to that Ohms law and an understanding of basic components and you
are away.

Not quite the same for digital I don't think. Plug in diagnostic
interface and click on 'Run'. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:49:33 +0800, who where wrote:

On first use - as they
explained - the Vostro reported a non-genuine PSU but has worked fine
for the last two years.

Including charging the battery you mean?

Yes

Ok ta.

Thinking outside the box a bit and looking at this external /
universal charger ... if I had a known good Dell battery with the same
parameters as required by the laptop but that just didn't fit /in/ the
laptop a short extension lead might do the trick. Certainly sufficient
enough to ensure it /was/ a battery problem before buying another one?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When I worked for British Telecom (and then later Kodak on their
Microfilm side) we regularly used 'external' cards / cables to allow
us to check the card / module whilst connected to the machine but so
we could still get to it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 7, 7:32*pm, T i m wrote:
[...]

We use extender cards...and "stack" the card you were working on. I
worked on Rockwell based archaic PMOS. *L*

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:32 pm, T i m wrote:
[...]

They were Positive ESD was going to wipe their MOS. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T i m wrote in
:

[...]

perhaps you mean "extender" cards or cables?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:04:03 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

T i m wrote in
:

[...]

Probably but the function of the thing was to make the card / module
appear /outside/ the unit so it sorta works for me. ;-)

I was thinking that I only need an old (compatible/ Dell) laptop base
/ mobo and I've already got a dead battery and I should be able to put
something together (in the best Frankenstein stylee). ;-)

Assuming these batteries only report 'I'm a Dell battery' rather than
"I'm a Dell battery for a Studio 1535 with a pink lid ..."? ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 16:37:34 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Ah. I envisioned a unit that the battery was placed into rather than a
connector on a flying lead. I would be interested in the pin out for
that. :-)

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...0_D600_battery

Cheers, T i m
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T i m wrote in
:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:04:03 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

T i m wrote in
m:

[...]

I used to build my own custom extenders (and dummy loads for
switchers)while at Tektronix. they helped a lot.
Designers just don't make things accessible like they used to.
or provide useful test points.)

I guess it's part of the "throwaway" culture. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T i m Inscribed thus:

wrote:

Ah. I envisioned a unit that the battery was placed into rather than a
connector on a flying lead. I would be interested in the pin out for
that. :-)

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...0_D600_battery

Cheers, T i m

Thanks:
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:12:15 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

I was thinking that I only need an old (compatible/ Dell) laptop base
/ mobo and I've already got a dead battery and I should be able to put
something together (in the best Frankenstein stylee). ;-)

Assuming these batteries only report 'I'm a Dell battery' rather than
"I'm a Dell battery for a Studio 1535 with a pink lid ..."? ;-(

I used to build my own custom extenders (and dummy loads for
switchers)while at Tektronix. they helped a lot.

Yeah, I used to do similar when a data comms tech. We would bring out
a new range of comms gear but my boss was reluctant to go out and buy
new test kit for it so would get me to design and build all manner of
converters. I enjoyed doing so and it was good to see the other
support guys using it in the field thereafter. ;-)

Designers just don't make things accessible like they used to.
or provide useful test points.)

I guess because no human is ever going to test it?

I guess it's part of the "throwaway" culture. :-(

Yup, so it seems and unlikely to change while we seem to be
squandering the worlds recourses as we are today.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I fid it difficult to throw things away (although I'm not sure
there is such a place as 'away') because even a broken thing contains
parts and materials that may be of use to me at some point. There have
been numerous instances where I have used parts scavenged from
something to repair something else ... some salvaged particularly long
machine screws or switches / whatever.

The 'price' of that flexibility is a house full of 'stuff'.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T i m wrote in
:

p.s. I fid it difficult to throw things away (although I'm not sure
there is such a place as 'away') because even a broken thing contains
parts and materials that may be of use to me at some point. There have
been numerous instances where I have used parts scavenged from
something to repair something else ... some salvaged particularly long
machine screws or switches / whatever.

The 'price' of that flexibility is a house full of 'stuff'.

yeah,I'm a packrat too.
every time I "houseclean",a short time later I realize I threw away
something I could have used.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:10:32 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

The 'price' of that flexibility is a house full of 'stuff'.

yeah,I'm a packrat too.
every time I "houseclean",a short time later I realize I threw away
something I could have used.

Oh don't.

I was given a micro PC case and stand and did nothing with it for
/years/. Eventually in a fit of tidiness I took the case and it's
stand down the dump. I threw the plastic stand in the plastic
recycling but couldn't bring myself to throw the case.

Two weeks later Mum wanted a PC and I put one together using the
little case. Ideally it would have stood on it's edge on a raised
stand ... ;-(

It's like when beggars come up to you and ask if you have any 'spare
change'. I'm my mind I'm thinking 'I don't know, I haven't finished my
life yet ...' ?

I really thing these TV shows are trying to de-program millions of
years of evolution that has shown that 'stuff' is valuable but maybe
only to those with the skills to use it [1] (and hence today's
trends).

However, this is mainly a 1st world problem as in the 3rd world more
things are used and reused to their fullest. I mean, we even ship our
rubbish there.

Cheers, T i m

[1] And to be fair, the ability to fix stuff even with the tool, LSI
and cars covered in electronics etc.