Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:54:59 +0800, who where wrote:

But yes, bring on the 'generic / modular' laptop (so it works more
like desktop clones) where not just things like optical drives can be
swapped between brands (and CPUs, RAM, HDDs etc) but system boards,
chargers and batteries.

Have been watching this thread with some interest. We travel with a
Dell Vostro 1400 (Aug08 delivery), and in late 2008 we left the PSU
behind in sthn Calif. Noticed its absence in Vegas, and happened upon
a pooter shop who had new generic (non-Dell-branded) PSU's at a decent
price compared to the genuine Dell product.

Ok.

On first use - as they
explained - the Vostro reported a non-genuine PSU but has worked fine
for the last two years.

Including charging the battery you mean?

I have two 'non Dell' power adaptors here. One looks very Dell, runs
but won't charge and another that is not so Dell looking that both
runs and charges on the D520 and 1545 (as does my Targus 90W adaptor).
We don't know if either will charge the 1535 yet as we don't have a
good / recognised one to try. ;-(

The copy charger that works has the spec of a 90W (if anything is to
be believed) but is reported (on all 3 Dell laptops) as being 150W!
;-)

I think what can actually happen may depend to some degree the
particular model. Daughters D520 is very happy with a clone battery
whereas the 1535 doesn't seem to want to play. That could be as much
down to the batteries of course.

Cheers, T i m