Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop battery got super hot when charging

I had left my laptop (dell 600m) on standby for a few days running off
battery, so it was around 40% based on the little indicator they have
on the battery. I plugged in the AC to charge it and went off for
about 90min. I came back and the charging LED was blinking red, and
the battery was burning hot, way hotter than it ever was. So I
unplugged the AC adapter and put the system in Hibernate and removed
the battery to let it cool down. And I was afraid it'll either explode
or start burning up. It's cooled down now, but I was wondering what I
should do about it now. It's worked fine for the past 5 years or so? I
haven't plugged it back in yet. Just wondering what do you guys think
is wrong. Is the fail-safe on the battery effective? Sometimes it
doesn't work, right, and the battery either explodes or burns up?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eli Luong wrote:
It's worked fine for the past 5 years or so?

Time to get another battery, you're at the end of life
for that one.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:33:15 -0700, Eli Luong wrote:

I had left my laptop (dell 600m) on standby for a few days running off
battery, so it was around 40% based on the little indicator they have on
the battery. I plugged in the AC to charge it and went off for about
90min. I came back and the charging LED was blinking red, and the
battery was burning hot, way hotter than it ever was. So I unplugged the
AC adapter and put the system in Hibernate and removed the battery to
let it cool down. And I was afraid it'll either explode or start burning
up. It's cooled down now, but I was wondering what I should do about it
now. It's worked fine for the past 5 years or so? I haven't plugged it
back in yet. Just wondering what do you guys think is wrong. Is the
fail-safe on the battery effective? Sometimes it doesn't work, right,
and the battery either explodes or burns up?

Search Youtube videos for laptop battery fires.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:33:15 -0700 (PDT), Eli Luong
wrote:

I had left my laptop (dell 600m) on standby for a few days running off

(...)

You have a dead battery and possibly defective battery. Check the
battery PPID serial number:
http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com
to see if you're entitled to a free replacement.

If it catches fire, please take some videos for You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHaz5EM9jc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxOnrDFmag

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 15, 8:04*am, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
Time to get another battery, you're at the end of life
for that one.

Jeff

Boo, why did it suddenly stop working one day.

I looked on Amazon, is this an acceptable place to purchase a new
battery? The laptop has become a secondary machine, so I don't want to
spend so much money on it, and I hope it's safer to buy batteries from
Amazon sellers than on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/DekCell-Laptop.../dp/B000EGOEBG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 15, 1:33*am, Eli Luong wrote:
I had left my laptop (dell 600m) on standby for a few days running off
battery, so it was around 40% based on the little indicator they have
on the battery. I plugged in the AC to charge it and went off for
about 90min. I came back and the charging LED was blinking red, and
the battery was burning hot, way hotter than it ever was. So I
unplugged the AC adapter and put the system in Hibernate and removed
the battery to let it cool down. And I was afraid it'll either explode
or start burning up. It's cooled down now, but I was wondering what I
should do about it now. It's worked fine for the past 5 years or so? I
haven't plugged it back in yet. Just wondering what do you guys think
is wrong. Is the fail-safe on the battery effective? Sometimes it
doesn't work, right, and the battery either explodes or burns up?

That's a Lithium ion battery? Remove it at once, they apparently can
break into (nearly) unstoppable chemical fires. As for replacement,
try batterymart.com.