Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Battery charging on Dell Inspiron 600m laptop

This computer had the power jack totally ripped off and basically rattling
around inside. Anyone familiar with this type of jack knows that to do
that takes some effort. I'm not sure if even dropping the laptop to
dangle by the power cord could it.

With the jack replaced, everything seems to work except that
the battery won't charge, both based on the charge percent not changing
on the software charge meter and that it dies immediately trying to boot or
run with only the battery as the power source. The system knows when the
battery is installed and says it's charging but the percent doesn't change.
Originally, the battery read 7 percent; now after a couple weeks of being
idle, it is 0 percent.

I do not know the history of this computer. Can this be anything other
than a problem on the mainboard? I'm assuming the battery itself is good
but have no means of testing it. I was quite careful when replacing the
power jack but it's possible there is a soldering problem, or even that
some itty bitty SMT part popped off when the power jack broke off and is
lost. It's such a pain to get the entire thing apart that I'm not inclined
to do so unless there is a good chance it's something obvious.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had exactly that happen on a dell inspiron and it was not charged
for 2 weeks, dead battery.
Definitely worth checking the battery.

Cheetah
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CheetahHugger writes:

I had exactly that happen on a dell inspiron and it was not charged
for 2 weeks, dead battery.
Definitely worth checking the battery.

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

It will not charge either with the computer on or off.

(BTW, it's a 700m, not a 600m, my mistake.)

Thanks.

P.S. Whatever happened to batteries with just a + and - you could charge
from a DC supply??? Yes, I know the answer....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On 29 Aug 2007 18:58:42 -0400 Sam Goldwasser
wrote in Message id: :

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

I would try these folks - I've dealt with them in the past, and had a
positive experience:
http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=389268

I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper as well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

I would try these folks - I've dealt with them in the past, and had a
positive experience:
http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=389268

I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper as well.

No doubt.

But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

When I got the computer to repair, the battery had some charge in it
so it had been able to charge relatively recently. I'm still suspect
of the charging circuitry.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

wrote in Message id: :

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

I would try these folks - I've dealt with them in the past, and had a
positive experience:
http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=389268

I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper as well.

No doubt.

But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

When I got the computer to repair, the battery had some charge in it
so it had been able to charge relatively recently. I'm still suspect
of the charging circuitry.

Thanks.

It's likely that what you have is a "smart" battery. FWIW, There's a bit
of good info on them he
http://www.buchmann.ca/article21-page1.asp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 30, 9:54 am, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

Is this battery covered under the Dell recall?

TM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

I would try these folks - I've dealt with them in the past, and had a
positive experience:
http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=389268

I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper as well.

No doubt.

But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

When I got the computer to repair, the battery had some charge in it
so it had been able to charge relatively recently. I'm still suspect
of the charging circuitry.

Thanks.

I've had a seldom used Latitude ruin a battery that was left in it
for several months without charging it. The symptoms I get are that
the battery will start charging for a few minutes, then the charging
light on the laptop changes to orange. If I press the button on the
battery to view the charge all of the leds light, then one of them
flashes slowly. I have 2 different model Latitudes and the ruined
battery will not charge (or work) in either of them.

Jerry

PS, Another source of Dell laptop parts I can recomend is
parts-people.com.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

I think that must be the next step. It's also what the brain dead Dell
Wizard suggests (buying directly from them of course).

I would try these folks - I've dealt with them in the past, and had a
positive experience:
http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=389268

I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper as well.

No doubt.

But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

When I got the computer to repair, the battery had some charge in it
so it had been able to charge relatively recently. I'm still suspect
of the charging circuitry.

Thanks.

It's likely that what you have is a "smart" battery. FWIW, There's a bit
of good info on them he
http://www.buchmann.ca/article21-page1.asp

Interesting. I'm sure this is a "smart" battery, perhaps too smart
for its own good!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

On Aug 30, 9:54 am, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
But I'm not willing to take the risk of buying a new battery just yet.
Need to find someone with a known good battery and try it.

Is this battery covered under the Dell recall?

We are going to check that.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My thoughts are on the battery. I would first look to see if there is a way
to test the charging circuits. I realize that some of these are complex,
because the charging current will not come on unless specific criteria from
the battery load is visible to the charger.

I have an Acer Centrino laptop. After about 3 years, I noticed the battery
starting to not hold its charge. Then soon, it would not charge very well.
I simply ran out and bought another battery. So-far, I have no complaints.
With the new battery, the computer is working the way it should.

--

Jerry G.
======

[...]

ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in
the