Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:12:15 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

I was thinking that I only need an old (compatible/ Dell) laptop base
/ mobo and I've already got a dead battery and I should be able to put
something together (in the best Frankenstein stylee). ;-)

Assuming these batteries only report 'I'm a Dell battery' rather than
"I'm a Dell battery for a Studio 1535 with a pink lid ..."? ;-(

I used to build my own custom extenders (and dummy loads for
switchers)while at Tektronix. they helped a lot.

Yeah, I used to do similar when a data comms tech. We would bring out
a new range of comms gear but my boss was reluctant to go out and buy
new test kit for it so would get me to design and build all manner of
converters. I enjoyed doing so and it was good to see the other
support guys using it in the field thereafter. ;-)

Designers just don't make things accessible like they used to.
or provide useful test points.)

I guess because no human is ever going to test it?

I guess it's part of the "throwaway" culture. :-(

Yup, so it seems and unlikely to change while we seem to be
squandering the worlds recourses as we are today.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I fid it difficult to throw things away (although I'm not sure
there is such a place as 'away') because even a broken thing contains
parts and materials that may be of use to me at some point. There have
been numerous instances where I have used parts scavenged from
something to repair something else ... some salvaged particularly long
machine screws or switches / whatever.

The 'price' of that flexibility is a house full of 'stuff'.