Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

T i m wrote in
:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:04:03 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

T i m wrote in
m:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:49:33 +0800, who where wrote:

On first use - as they
explained - the Vostro reported a non-genuine PSU but has worked fine
for the last two years.

Including charging the battery you mean?

Yes

Ok ta.

Thinking outside the box a bit and looking at this external /
universal charger ... if I had a known good Dell battery with the same
parameters as required by the laptop but that just didn't fit /in/ the
laptop a short extension lead might do the trick. Certainly sufficient
enough to ensure it /was/ a battery problem before buying another one?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When I worked for British Telecom (and then later Kodak on their
Microfilm side) we regularly used 'external' cards / cables to allow
us to check the card / module whilst connected to the machine but so
we could still get to it.

perhaps you mean "extender" cards or cables?

Probably but the function of the thing was to make the card / module
appear /outside/ the unit so it sorta works for me. ;-)

I was thinking that I only need an old (compatible/ Dell) laptop base
/ mobo and I've already got a dead battery and I should be able to put
something together (in the best Frankenstein stylee). ;-)

Assuming these batteries only report 'I'm a Dell battery' rather than
"I'm a Dell battery for a Studio 1535 with a pink lid ..."? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

I used to build my own custom extenders (and dummy loads for
switchers)while at Tektronix. they helped a lot.
Designers just don't make things accessible like they used to.
or provide useful test points.)

I guess it's part of the "throwaway" culture. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik