Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 13:05:13 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

But then I have never seen why we need so many different cars, washing
machines, TVs .....

different people want different features.

Yes, but not as many features as options available I bet? And how much
energy is going into this duplication.

What I'm suggesting is that there are netbooks, notebooks, laptops and
desktop replacements and IMHO most people would be happy with many of
the examples of each, especially if they were given them for free for
example.

I prefer small cars that handle well and have "ample accelleration",while
others want armored tanks that ride like boats and seat half a dozen.

I guess the issue is (and this is an oft seen human trait) of the
constant *******isation of utility things for (what could be seen as
if you get down to the nuts_and_bolts) an irrelevant cause. Like, IC
engined 'cars' evolved for transport, to carry you and you goods from
A to B. Easier to keep than a horse and quicker to get ready than a
steam plant. So, as soon as two get side by side we invent 'racing'.
;-(

There are only two types of car for me. An estate or 'free' (or very
cheap) as long as it can work for me.

The only car I've bought from new was my Company Sierra Estate and I
had that in the end for 23 years. Not once during that period did I
even consider anything else (other than for better fuel economy) as
that did all I ever wanted and more. Further it was very very
reliable. The other support guys chose hot-hatches and guess who they
came to when they wanted to move house etc. I always declined a
temporary 'swap' as a hot hatch was no use to me and especially so
without a towbar.

I guess my point is that most people could make good use of an estate
car but fewer could manage with a two seater or afford to run a Lambo.
But apparently that's not what it's all about (any more)? We are sold
the imagery of cruising the open road in the sunshine when the reality
is far from that for the vast majority.

IMO,those "chipped" suppplies/battery packs are just an effort to
monopolize their products,so you can't use generic chargers or battery
packs and save money.

If I may play devils advocate for a mo, they might also try to ensure
a bit of compatibility quality control and / or better design? Don't
get me wrong, I don't like being ripped off on anything and won't buy
a 'name' just because. However, there are times said name = quality or
safety and that sometimes can be good VFM.

The "generic" charger or battery pack just has it's internal ID chip
programmed to suit a particular manufacturer,and a "brand name" tag
applied,raising the price and profit margin.

And /could/ include some better quality control? OOI, the obviously
rip off / clone 'Dell' charger I have here (with Dell on the case and
everything) weighs half of that of a genuine charger? Do they use
lighter components or less of them I wonder. If less I wonder what
sort of stuff they left out?

Horses for courses (and racecourses) I guess. ;-)

Cheers, T i m