Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
And we have the brass neck to lecture *our* kids about responsible
behaviour
!! When I relate some of these tales of schoolboy pranks to my kids,

they
can't believe what a bad lot we were back then ... :-))

Simply repeating the common pattern of the last few thousand years, I
think. The younger generation is *always* reckless and irresponsible,
hell-bent on disaster, and disrespectful of the wisdom of their elders
(from the POV of the elders), and the elders are conservative
hypocritical stick-in-the-muds who have forgotten how to live and who
are obviously guilty for completely yngvi'ing up the world (from the
POV of the younger set).

It's been that way at least since Aristotle, and probably a whole lot
longer than that.

I suspect you speak the truth Dave ...

Sorry, but I disagree. The US has been on a downhill path ever since it
decided, after WWII, that children would rule this country.

Oh, I don't dispute that overall, standards seem to be dropping for the
reason you give, and probably others as well. Same sort of thing here. I was
just agreeing with the general principles of how every generation knows
better than the one coming up, and the one coming up blames the previous one
for all the shortcomings of the world, and treats them as though they know
nothing about life when you're young ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 22 Jul, 11:39, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
The HPs seem to have a proper 'sleep' mode where
the heads 'park' over the seal, as it goes to sleep. The Epsons appear to
just 'stop' with the heads where they were last left.

This is not true, all Epsons I have seen and repaired park the heads a
few seconds after the last print job.

The fact that
colours cannot be cleaned individually, is a royal pain in the arse, and
leads to huge ink wastage.

Yes, yet old style Epsons (like Epson stylus 500, color II, stylus
pro, etc) allowed to clean B/W and color separately and they really
did separately, those old printers were very realiable if used with
proper inks and almost never clogged. This started to decay after the
stylus color 400 when they redesigned all and made b/w and color
injectors the same block. Yet, used carefully and with properly
selected inks that do not clog easily they work fine. I have been
using refills for all my Epsons and it turns out a lot cheaper than
HPs and works great.

I have found Epson printers are very sensitive to their environment,
place it near something warm (for example on top of a PC) or where air
circulation is likely and you are going to face lots of clogs. On the
other hand if you place in a cool (ambient temp) non ventilated place
you can have it turned off for months and it will work straight.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:21:51 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

After that, the operating current of the
laserjet is well withing the current limitations of a common #14AWG
power cord. Try it. Does the cord get warm when furiously printing?
Probably not.

Most 10A IEC line cords use around 20 Ga for the conductors, which is
also a borderline choice IMNSHO.

Whenever a company I am working for goes to throw out the old crap, I
look for heavier gauge IEC line cords every time.

I hate those paper thin jobs that are so proliferant.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:40:56 -0700 (PDT), Jeroni Paul
wrote:

. Yet, used carefully and with properly
selected inks that do not clog easily they work fine

I do not want to send print jobs, being sure to do so "carefully". I
want to hit print, and get print, without ANY "extra care". That is
pathetic.

I also have yet to see an Epson that did not have nozzle clog issues,
and use up half your ink flooding them out in attempts to clear them.

Absolutely pathetic print engine paradigm.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have been
using refills for all my Epsons and it turns out a lot cheaper than
HPs and works great.

If you print so much that you have to run around trying different inks,
and finding ways to economize your print tasks, it sounds to me like you
print enough to warrant a Laser printer.

Oh Boy! All problems have ceased! AND I can print 3000 pages or more,
which is abso-****ing-lutely impossible on an ink jet printer. (he
declared)

Use your brain properly and get enough sense to know that you should be
printing to a laser printer. You could have probably paid for one twice
by now, and would still be saving money.

Also, laser printers have become dirt cheap. They are the de facto
standard for a business that actually has a lot of print tasks to do.

They also carry a higher resale value, and jet printer depreciate to
zero very quickly.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

After that, the operating current of the
laserjet is well withing the current limitations of a common #14AWG
power cord. Try it. Does the cord get warm when furiously printing?
Probably not.

Oops, I lied. My extension cords are #14AwG. All the computah and
printah power cords I could find in the pile are #18AWG 3 conductors.

Most 10A IEC line cords use around 20 Ga for the conductors, which is
also a borderline choice IMNSHO.

I've never seen one with #20AWG. That would be an IEC 320 C13.
Digging.... well Wikipedia is no help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector
Googling for "IEC 320 C13 AWG" yields lots of #18AWG cords, and
nothing else.

Whenever a company I am working for goes to throw out the old crap, I
look for heavier gauge IEC line cords every time.

I have a few of those "heavy guage" cords that were supplied with
laser printers, copiers, and big servers. They also say #14 AWG. The
"heavy duty" construction seems to be a matter of using more plastic
and PVC jacket, than adding more copper.

I hate those paper thin jobs that are so proliferant.

I kinda like them. They're really handy for test cords on my
workbench. They aren't stiff and don't get in the way. I have about
6 of them installed on various power strips on the bench. They all
are #18 AWG.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:13:35 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

Isn't pure Iodine highly unstable?

No. Ammonium tri-Iodide and Nitrogen Tri-Iodide are the traditional
unstable contact explosive. Great fun in high skool and college
blowing things up. It was also probably the origin of the term
"purple haze". It's fairly easy to make and equally easy to have a
spectacular accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:14:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Googling for "IEC 320 C13 AWG" yields lots of #18AWG cords, and
nothing else.

It is just very flimsy 18Ga, soft PVC. Give me 16ga or higher any day.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:27:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:13:35 -0400, Meat Plow

Isn't pure Iodine highly unstable?

No. Ammonium tri-Iodide and Nitrogen Tri-Iodide are the traditional
unstable contact explosive. Great fun in high skool and college
blowing things up. It was also probably the origin of the term
"purple haze". It's fairly easy to make and equally easy to have a
spectacular accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

What ever happened to fulminate of mercury?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:29:51 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:27:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:13:35 -0400, Meat Plow

Isn't pure Iodine highly unstable?

No. Ammonium tri-Iodide and Nitrogen Tri-Iodide are the traditional
unstable contact explosive. Great fun in high skool and college
blowing things up. It was also probably the origin of the term
"purple haze". It's fairly easy to make and equally easy to have a
spectacular accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

What ever happened to fulminate of mercury?

Thanks,
Rich

The ingredients became a bit tougher to come by and more expensive,
same for lead picrate.

--
Transmitted with recycled bits.
----------

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?

You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Jeroni Paul wrote:
[...]

Yep. I've found the same thing.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:37:46 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

notme wrote:
What is it about laser printers that causes UPS manufacturers to recommend
they not be powered by a "stepped approximation to sine" UPS? It's a SMSP,
isn't it? What makes it special such that it needs sine-only? No such caution
re. computers, etc...

The big difference is that lasers usually have a mains powered quartz
lamp inside the fuser assembly to cook the toner onto the paper. My
guess would be that the lamp puts a huge current spike on the mains each
time it powers up, which is every minute or so. If so, that spike might
overload the UPS.

The fuser in the older HP lasers was on even waiting for a print job.
There was a thermostat on the lamp strip inside the roller to keep the
fuser roller at a constant temp.

Yes, that's correct. (Fixed hundreds of them, back in the days.)

The warnings on UPS date back to
those times.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:10:53 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:01:46 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?

You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.

But the end result is still a bubble of ink.

No. The piezo heads send droplets, not bubbles.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

The original HP inkjet printer was called a Thinkjet -- thermal inkjet.

I don't know what system HP currently uses.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The original HP inkjet printer was called a Thinkjet -- thermal inkjet.

I guess one should never assume that a product name is a non sequitur
invented by some marketing droid; I never thought to parse 'Thinkjet'
as you did

I still bristle at names like 'Verizon' and 'Vonage', both of which
I pronounced incorrectly until I heard salesfolk using them (Verizon
like the the river Amazon or the modeling school Barbizon, with the
accent on the first syllable and Vonage with the accent on the second
syllable and a soft 'g' ala 'bon voyage'). It still amazes me to hear
some people pronouncing 'daemon' as 'daymon' and 'Debian' as
'day bee an' -- Debian is a concatenation of 'Deb and Ian'.

Michael

Michael

I don't know what system HP currently uses.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

So an HP head shoots drops of ink instead of bubbles. Got it.

They both shoot out drops of ink, but one of them
does it by by creating bubbles inside the ink, and
the other just squeezes the ink.

Shooting out bubbles would be interesting...
Bubble-gum printer, anyone?

--
Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

wrote:

notme wrote:
What is it about laser printers that causes UPS manufacturers to recommend
they not be powered by a "stepped approximation to sine" UPS? It's a SMSP,
isn't it? What makes it special such that it needs sine-only? No such caution
re. computers, etc...
The big difference is that lasers usually have a mains powered quartz
lamp inside the fuser assembly to cook the toner onto the paper. My
guess would be that the lamp puts a huge current spike on the mains each
time it powers up, which is every minute or so. If so, that spike might
overload the UPS.
The fuser in the older HP lasers was on even waiting for a print job.
There was a thermostat on the lamp strip inside the roller to keep the
fuser roller at a constant temp.

Yes, that's correct. (Fixed hundreds of them, back in the days.)

First Laserjet printer I owned was a 4+. Snagged it from a client who
was going to dumpster it after I installed a LJ 6p. The 4 had a high
print count maybe upawards of 50k but after a good cleaning including
inside the laser assembly prism and spreader lens it worked perfect
and I've been using it for 7 years now

The older engines are by far the best. I've seen Canon SX engine
printers (eg; the HP Series 2) still going strong at half a million
prints. Dust 'em out every now & then, scrub the rollers with acetone
every couple of years, & they last forever. I heard of one unit (in a
police department) that was still going strong at 1.5 million prints.
The MX engines are pretty good too, but the SX engine is still the king.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?
You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.

But the end result is still a bubble of ink.

No, a droplet.

More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?
You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.
But the end result is still a bubble of ink.
No, a droplet.

More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.

A bubble-like droplet.

The bubble is what forms on the heating element, pushing the ink droplet
out of the nozzle.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?
You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.
But the end result is still a bubble of ink.
No, a droplet.
More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.

A bubble-like droplet.

The bubble is what forms on the heating element, pushing the ink droplet
out of the nozzle.

IN a bubble jet.

IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

IN a bubble jet.
IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?

The original inkjet printer -- which dates back more than 40 years --
mechanically squirted a stream of droplets at the paper, deflecting the
unused droplets electrostatically for recycling. The thermal inkjet was
based on the discovery that heating the end of a tube containing ink would
boil the ink and cause a drop to squirt out. This "on-demand" system made
cheap inkjet printers possible.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 04:59:49 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

IN a bubble jet.
IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?

The original inkjet printer -- which dates back more than 40 years --
mechanically squirted a stream of droplets at the paper, deflecting the
unused droplets electrostatically for recycling. The thermal inkjet was
based on the discovery that heating the end of a tube containing ink would
boil the ink and cause a drop to squirt out. This "on-demand" system made
cheap inkjet printers possible.

I remember seeing a photograph of the electrostatically steered print
head and read the technical article. That was a long time ago, I
think that IBM built it, or that may be wishful thinking on my part.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

IN a bubble jet.
IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?

The original inkjet printer -- which dates back more than 40 years --
mechanically squirted a stream of droplets at the paper, deflecting the
unused droplets electrostatically for recycling. The thermal inkjet was
based on the discovery that heating the end of a tube containing ink would
boil the ink and cause a drop to squirt out. This "on-demand" system made
cheap inkjet printers possible.

The term 'bubble jet' however, is no more than a mere copyrighted
process name tag, just like "Teflon' is or "Kotex".

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?
You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.
But the end result is still a bubble of ink.
No, a droplet.
More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.

A bubble-like droplet.

The bubble is what forms on the heating element, pushing the ink droplet
out of the nozzle.

Well the result is the same. A jet of ink whether it is ousted by a
buzzing piezo or heating device. I don't think the two are as
dissimilar as night and day on a molecular level.

However, a DROPLET of ink is what hits the paper, not a "bubble of ink"
as was stated.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
What about not being a bubble jet printer? Aren't all HP print
cartridges equipped with a bubble jet print head?
You're confusing BubbleJets (Canon) with InkJets (HP/Epson). The former
use a heating element per pixel, the latter use a piezo element.
But the end result is still a bubble of ink.
No, a droplet.
More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.
A bubble-like droplet.

The bubble is what forms on the heating element, pushing the ink droplet
out of the nozzle.

IN a bubble jet.

Correct.

IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?

Nope.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 8:59*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Jupiter Jaq" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:24:41 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Well, not really, but it's all been a very long time ago now. You leave
school, go to college, grow up a bit, get married, raise kids, and become
responsible citizen * :-( * Then you start to get old, and become a grump,
remembering what a good bloke you were back in the day. Guess I'm close to
slipping into that phase now. Grown up kids look at me like I'm mad when
they see me with an iPod stuck in my lugholes, listening to the likes of
Uriah Heep and Dr John ...

Arfa

Did they bring you a blunt yet?

Too cryptic for me this time of night ... *A blunt what ... ? *Knife ?
Instrument ? * :-)

Arfa

A blunt is a joint made using the outer covering of a cheap cigar,
like a Phillie. In fact Phillie makes a cigar named the "Blunt." So
that's how blunts got their name.
Split the cigar open and dump the contents, fill with your favorite
intoxicating herb, and roll it up like the traditional Jamaican
cornshuck splif.
That's how blunts got started -- Jamaican immigrants to major northern
conurbations like NYC could find Phillies Blunts a lot more easily
than they could find cornshucks. Old-fashion corner delis, candy
stores and newsstands in New York City still sell Phillies as they
always have. Most Phillies probably go into making blunts, now, but
some people still smoke them despite that Phillies are the nastiest
cigars made.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to the
stand in the first place?

PP

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Paul_P wrote:

Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

When it was wet.

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 18, 5:48*pm, Adrian C wrote:
Paul_P wrote:
Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

When it was wet.

--
Adrian C

When it's wet, the water allows the ammonia molecules to cradle the
iodine molecules so they don't get close enough to react. When it
dries out, or if the ammonia is allowed to escape over time, it
becomes shock sensitive. At least that's what I remember from
chemistry class.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:38:02 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Paul_P wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

You make it up as a solution. It doesn't get explosive until it dries out.

Aluminum powder good... Ugg! -Cave Man
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

"Paul_P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

PP

As a teenager I would mix two chemicals that slight pressure would cause
explosion. I would put in a small corked bottle. The town I lived in the
police would let us kids bring rifles to there shooting range and practice.
I would set up these bottles and when bullet hit there was a loud smoke
explosion. Police said what the heck did you make in those bottles. Never
told them as this stuff has killed some people as they tried to mix with a
mortar & pestle. I always rolled it back and fourth gently on a sheet of
paper to mix. ww

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:24:35 -0600, WW wrote:
"Paul_P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

As a teenager I would mix two chemicals that slight pressure would cause
explosion. I would put in a small corked bottle. The town I lived in the
police would let us kids bring rifles to there shooting range and practice.
I would set up these bottles and when bullet hit there was a loud smoke
explosion. Police said what the heck did you make in those bottles. Never
told them as this stuff has killed some people as they tried to mix with a
mortar & pestle. I always rolled it back and fourth gently on a sheet of
paper to mix. ww

Nitric acid and glycerine? :-

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Paul_P wrote:
Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

When it was wet.

--
Adrian C

When it's wet, the water allows the ammonia molecules to cradle the
iodine molecules so they don't get close enough to react. When it
dries out, or if the ammonia is allowed to escape over time, it
becomes shock sensitive. At least that's what I remember from
chemistry class.

There is no ammonia in the reaction product, just NI3 (precipitate).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Paul_P wrote:
Now if it is that sensitive how would one ever get it on the paper on to
the stand in the first place?

When it was wet.

--
Adrian C

When it's wet, the water allows the ammonia molecules to cradle the
iodine molecules so they don't get close enough to react. When it
dries out, or if the ammonia is allowed to escape over time, it
becomes shock sensitive. At least that's what I remember from
chemistry class.

There is no ammonia in the reaction product,

True.

just NI3 (precipitate).

No, that's the explosive form (Nitrogen Tri-Iodide). The reaction
products are I2 and N2.