Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:51:41 -0700, FatBytestard
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:21:51 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

After that, the operating current of the
laserjet is well withing the current limitations of a common #14AWG
power cord. Try it. Does the cord get warm when furiously printing?
Probably not.

Oops, I lied. My extension cords are #14AwG. All the computah and
printah power cords I could find in the pile are #18AWG 3 conductors.

Most 10A IEC line cords use around 20 Ga for the conductors, which is
also a borderline choice IMNSHO.

I've never seen one with #20AWG. That would be an IEC 320 C13.
Digging.... well Wikipedia is no help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector
Googling for "IEC 320 C13 AWG" yields lots of #18AWG cords, and
nothing else.

Whenever a company I am working for goes to throw out the old crap, I
look for heavier gauge IEC line cords every time.

I have a few of those "heavy guage" cords that were supplied with
laser printers, copiers, and big servers. They also say #14 AWG. The
"heavy duty" construction seems to be a matter of using more plastic
and PVC jacket, than adding more copper.

I hate those paper thin jobs that are so proliferant.

I kinda like them. They're really handy for test cords on my
workbench. They aren't stiff and don't get in the way. I have about
6 of them installed on various power strips on the bench. They all
are #18 AWG.