Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight
from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty.
And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this
excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180:
(reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying
Canon products.

Shnaggletooth

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

Yes, I have to admit -- it was your suggestion to give Canon tech
support a call. Thanks.

Shnaggletooth



  #7   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Burt
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"


wrote in message
...
In rec.photo.digital Tony wrote:
wrote:
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight
from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty.
And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this
excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180:
(reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying
Canon products.

Shnaggletooth


What a difference good customer service makes. And you have given that
message to all that read this newsgroup. First rate.


Maybe some manufactors lurk this group
Anyway another way arround is to call support first with a fake request.
Just
to test if they are for real. And then do the sales.
(Funny thing, sales almost always is the most rapid to respond to
communication :-)


You've discovered my favorite "trick" - if the customer service or tech
support number is continuously busy, call the sales number. That one always
picks up quickly. Ask them to connect you with customer service. Most of
the time it has worked for me.


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

Measekite said: Snipped per request

Not at all, most people who are able have you killfiled. However this
know it all thinks it's just fine. You must have lots of experence
with technical support to be aware they tend to extend their warranty,
where as I only spoke to them twice. I gladly bow to your experence in
this matter. Out of 450 messages/month one was helpful, you do get a
gold star.

  #9   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Frank
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

zakezuke wrote:

Measekite said: Snipped per request



Not at all, most people who are able have you killfiled. However this
know it all thinks it's just fine. You must have lots of experence
with technical support to be aware they tend to extend their warranty,
where as I only spoke to them twice. I gladly bow to your experence in
this matter. Out of 450 messages/month one was helpful, you do get a
gold star.

Oh please...don't make me laugh! Even a blind squirrel occasionally
finds an acorn.
Frank
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight
from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty.
And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this
excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180:
(reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying
Canon products


Cool beans... though technicaly we never ruled out your enviroment or
user as the cause of the issue. Well user is not likely unless you
were printing on cats or some such, more likely is power surge...
something that is always suspect. Given your oddball issue it would be
wise to check your surge protector.. if it blinks it means it's not
working and should be replaced. Many are not spendy, which is good as
they are ment to be kamikaze devices.

Not saying it was the root cause, but it is a good printer, and worth a
few bucks to keep it protected in the unlikely event your MOV failed.



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

You've discovered my favorite "trick" - if the customer service or tech
support number is continuously busy, call the sales number. That one always
picks up quickly. Ask them to connect you with customer service. Most of
the time it has worked for me.


Better the other way around, bad service - no business

  #12   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"


zakezuke wrote:
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight
from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty.
And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this
excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180:
(reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying
Canon products


Cool beans... though technicaly we never ruled out your enviroment or
user as the cause of the issue. Well user is not likely unless you
were printing on cats or some such, more likely is power surge...
something that is always suspect. Given your oddball issue it would be
wise to check your surge protector.. if it blinks it means it's not
working and should be replaced. Many are not spendy, which is good as
they are ment to be kamikaze devices.

Not saying it was the root cause, but it is a good printer, and worth a
few bucks to keep it protected in the unlikely event your MOV failed.


I'm kind of wondering about the cause myself. In the year I've had the
ip4000, I probably printed a total of 70 pages, mostly just b/w text,
and haven't used it in about three or four months. It's hooked up to an
Electricord six-prong surge protector, which it shares with my
computer, my computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and energy-sucking air conditioner.


If a power surge is the culprit, then that air conditioner might be the
problem; sometimes the lights in my apartment dim momentarily when the
A/C periodically adjusts itself. (Though, the power to my printer was
never turned on when I wasn't using it, so maybe it wasn't a power
surge thing, after all.)

Shnaggletooth

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Headrick
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"


wrote in message
ups.com...
It's hooked up to an Electricord six-prong surge
protector, which it shares with my computer, my
computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and
energy-sucking air conditioner.


I really *would not* plug an air conditioner into a surge protector, for
several reasons. The air conditioner may exceed the power rating of the
surge protector. The motor may generate various startup and shutdown
spikes of just the kind you are trying to protect your computer
equipment from. Lastly, an air conditioner is unlikely to gain any
benefit from a surge protector. Your printer and computer equipment
would likely be much happier on a separate circuit.

Regards,
Bob Headrick

  #14   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"


Bob Headrick wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
It's hooked up to an Electricord six-prong surge
protector, which it shares with my computer, my
computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and
energy-sucking air conditioner.


I really *would not* plug an air conditioner into a surge protector, for
several reasons. The air conditioner may exceed the power rating of the
surge protector. The motor may generate various startup and shutdown
spikes of just the kind you are trying to protect your computer
equipment from. Lastly, an air conditioner is unlikely to gain any
benefit from a surge protector. Your printer and computer equipment
would likely be much happier on a separate circuit.



Agreed... I have had issues with a kirby vacuum on the same circuit, I
can only imagine an air conditioner, don't own one. Even if it means
investing in an extendtion cord, it would be wise to get these guys off
the same circuit. Be sure it's grounded and is rated for at least the
mount of watts your equipment is rated for. Be aware that some times
jokers liked to cross wire electrical outlets, and a simple tester
costing sub $5.00 can save you some heart ache.

Don't know if this is was your issue, but being paranoid will only cost
you about $12.00 in your average hardware store.

  #15   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Tony
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

wrote:
zakezuke wrote:
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight
from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty.
And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this
excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180:
(reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying
Canon products


Cool beans... though technicaly we never ruled out your enviroment or
user as the cause of the issue. Well user is not likely unless you
were printing on cats or some such, more likely is power surge...
something that is always suspect. Given your oddball issue it would be
wise to check your surge protector.. if it blinks it means it's not
working and should be replaced. Many are not spendy, which is good as
they are ment to be kamikaze devices.

Not saying it was the root cause, but it is a good printer, and worth a
few bucks to keep it protected in the unlikely event your MOV failed.


I'm kind of wondering about the cause myself. In the year I've had the
ip4000, I probably printed a total of 70 pages, mostly just b/w text,
and haven't used it in about three or four months. It's hooked up to an
Electricord six-prong surge protector, which it shares with my
computer, my computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and energy-sucking air conditioner.


If a power surge is the culprit, then that air conditioner might be the
problem; sometimes the lights in my apartment dim momentarily when the
A/C periodically adjusts itself. (Though, the power to my printer was
never turned on when I wasn't using it, so maybe it wasn't a power
surge thing, after all.)

Shnaggletooth


Air conditioners, especially the older type, have large "inrush" currents, this
is a very short lived current that occurs when the compressor starts that may
well be several times the normal operating current. So the advice given by Bob
Headrick and Zakezuke is sound.
Tony


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

Wow you have a Kirby vacume and no AC? Those vacumes cost a small fortune.
You must not live in Florida like me :-).. Living here without ac is very
hot during the summer.

- Mike

"zakezuke" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob Headrick wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
It's hooked up to an Electricord six-prong surge
protector, which it shares with my computer, my
computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and
energy-sucking air conditioner.


I really *would not* plug an air conditioner into a surge protector, for
several reasons. The air conditioner may exceed the power rating of the
surge protector. The motor may generate various startup and shutdown
spikes of just the kind you are trying to protect your computer
equipment from. Lastly, an air conditioner is unlikely to gain any
benefit from a surge protector. Your printer and computer equipment
would likely be much happier on a separate circuit.



Agreed... I have had issues with a kirby vacuum on the same circuit, I
can only imagine an air conditioner, don't own one. Even if it means
investing in an extendtion cord, it would be wise to get these guys off
the same circuit. Be sure it's grounded and is rated for at least the
mount of watts your equipment is rated for. Be aware that some times
jokers liked to cross wire electrical outlets, and a simple tester
costing sub $5.00 can save you some heart ache.

Don't know if this is was your issue, but being paranoid will only cost
you about $12.00 in your average hardware store.



  #17   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

Wow you have a Kirby vacume and no AC? Those vacumes cost a small fortune.
You must not live in Florida like me :-).. Living here without ac is very
hot during the summer.


Those vacumes can be had used for much less... it's no big deal. But I
am in Washington. I don't know anyone with AC. There are only a few
days in the summer where it would be nice, but one could just install
an attic fan and be pretty much happy.

  #18   Report Post  
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
David
 
Posts: n/a
Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"


"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow you have a Kirby vacume and no AC? Those vacumes cost a small
fortune.
You must not live in Florida like me :-).. Living here without ac is very
hot during the summer.


Those vacumes can be had used for much less... it's no big deal. But I
am in Washington. I don't know anyone with AC. There are only a few
days in the summer where it would be nice, but one could just install
an attic fan and be pretty much happy.

Sheesh, If responding, at least correct the spelling of vacuum. (The only
word in the English language with a double u in it.)

David

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer [email protected] Electronics Repair 37 April 19th 06 03:52 PM
Canon Pixma IP 2000 Power Supply - part number K30229 Roy Thomas Electronics Repair 2 October 29th 05 06:49 PM
Service manual for Canon PIXMA iPx000 printers? John Q Electronics Repair 5 April 5th 05 02:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"