Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

Default UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"

On 21 Apr 2006 08:37:53 -0700, opined:

I'm kind of wondering about the cause myself. In the year I've had the
ip4000, I probably printed a total of 70 pages, mostly just b/w text,
and haven't used it in about three or four months. It's hooked up to an
Electricord six-prong surge protector, which it shares with my
computer, my computer speaker system (rarely turned on), a digital
alarm clock and...er, a large, old, and energy-sucking air conditioner.

Unplug your air-con from the surge protector! It's exactly the sort of
machine that your surge guard is trying to protect your electronic
stuff from! The back-EMF from the compressor will wear out MOV surge
guards very quickly, & will then start inflicting damage on the
delicate equipment. Jeez, no wonder your printer failed!

In general; anything with a mains-powered motor or a thermostat should
be run from a totally different outlet from anything electronic - even
better, a separate loop (ie; an outlet on a different fuse), if one is
available.

PS: I'm glad to hear that you had a good outcome from your call to
Canon.