Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Garage door openers

I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

You can buy replacement transmitters & receivers at Home Depot.
Older electronics were repairable, but the newer units use proprietary
ICs, with rolling security codes.

I repaired a lot of the older, tone modulated analog systems 25 to 30
years ago. Dried out electrolytics and shorted rectifiers were the
biggest failures, followed by the units drifting out of tune.

The receivers I repaired used a dual gate MOSFET in the front end,
and lighting popped a lot of them. When they died, you couldn't operate
them for more than an inch or two separation.

If her battery went dead, it might need reprogrammed so the units are
in sync, like remote car door locks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:16:54 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

With the crap sold at home depot, you'll be lucky if the remote
outlasts a single battery change. Better buy them in lots of 20.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

[...]

If you say so. I've been buying from them for 20 years and have
never had any problems, other than something being out of stock. Around
here, they beat the hell out of Lowe's, and the older chains, many who
are long gone. Scotty's hardware stores, for example were full of
rejects, factory seconds, and returns. The employees knew it was crap,
and just didn't give a damn. The new remotes & receivers were 'Stanley'
the last time I checked. What other brand are you going to recommend,
Radio Shack? There aren't many brands available as there was 25 years
ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:54:25 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

If I'm not mistaken the remotes by design stop working if the photo
cells are mis-aligned or dirty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:
I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

If I'm not mistaken the remotes by design stop working if the photo
cells are mis-aligned or dirty.

The unit was a 1992 Craftsman brand opener. There are no dip switches.
The transmitters are "learned" into the receiver. There were two
remotes with this system. The photo cells were working, btw. One
remote she keeps in a drawer so it is rarely used. I made sure the
batteries were good and tried each transmitter. Neither remote
activated the onboard led on the receiver board. I then tried erasing
the codes and then reprogramming the receiver. It still wouldn't work.
With two transmitters doing this the problem is probably the receiver
however you can't really tell if the transmitters are putting out can
you? So how would you determine if both transmitters are good or if
the receiver were good? Without being able to duplicate the modulation
scheme, the best I could do if I could determine the operating
frequency would be to hit this thing with a burst of CW from a signal
generator. I know that this would not operate the door but would it
disturb the onboard led thereby indicating the presence of RF being
received? How about if I take the transmitters and put them in close
proximity to my counter and if the transmission duration is long
enough I should be able to read the carrier? Lenny.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Snip, snip...

[...]

The OEM /might/ be Chamberlain LiftMaster. The Receiver board /may/
operate at 315MHz. Replacement receiver boards may run about $90USD.
A whole new DIY install is under $200USD. If you can get an exact
Sears Craftsman model/part number from the opener's label, more
detailed information could be forthcoming. Belt, chain, screw or
direct drive?

HTH

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@ [r4o7t]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:
[...]

It probaly is too short of a burst to read the actual frequency, but
it should show RF output. If you try it, used the fastest timbase
availible in your counter to improve your chances of reading.

I used a UHF mixer diode and a short piece of wire to the input on my
scope for a quick test, when I was repairing the equipment for a garage
door opener company. The Sears units made at that time used custom ICs
in the transmitters, so you might luck out and find a pwere supply
problem in the reciever. The success trate was very low in repairing
those systems. The standard repair was a new reciever, connected across
the push button controls, rather than buy another over priced control
board that couldn't be repaired.

The old '60s & '70s 'Linear' brand controls were very good, and easy
to repair. He had thousands of customers, and I did batches of them for
him, so he would have a spare in stock.

A Chamberlain Universal Radio Control Replacement Kit, with one remote
is $49.97. How much time do you want to spend on a dead 17 year old
unit with little chance of success?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100431670&N=10000003+9 0401

---------

http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/doity...x?modelId=1477
is a prgrammable universal transmitter for garage door openers.

Clicker® Universal Remote Control

KLIK1U

If you need to replace a lost or broken remote control, or just want to
complement your existing garage access system, the new Clicker®
Universal Remote Control is the perfect single-source solution. It is
designed to work with a variety of brands of garage door openers to give
you convenient, secure access to your garage and home. With it, you can
operate two different garage door manufacturers and/or frequencies at
the same time, so it's like having two remote controls in one. A single
coin cell battery is included.

•Replaces lost garage door opener remote control, or adds an extra
remote for multi-car families
•Dual frequency/dual manufacturer design – operates 1 or 2 garage doors
even if they're different brands
•Attaches to your car visor
•Easy to program
•1-year limited warranty

Compatible with the following brands:
•Genie®
•Linear/Moore-o-Matic®
•Stanley®
•Overhead Door®
•Wayne-Dalton®
•Craftsman®
•Chamberlain®
•LiftMaster®
•300/310/315/372/390 MHz compatible

http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/doity...s/114A3485.pdf is the
manual.

http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/doityourself/CatalogResources/Docs/ProductModel/ClickerRemote.wmv
shows you how to program it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100609179&N=10000003+9 0401
is priced $29.97.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:
[...]

What are you talking about. I like Home Depot crap.

Same here. Convenient plentiful crap. Just don't expect the
transmitter to outlast the battery. The drill is to get a new one,
put the old one in the new packaging and return it for a refund. Get
a new transmitter with every battery change.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Oh so you're the one screwing the next Home Depot innocent customer

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just purchased some universal replacement SkyLink opener TX/RX products
that replace the manual GDO pushbutton, which you said was still working.
The package inludes a transmitter and a receiver/switch module.

The small RX module has it's own manual push switch, plus a coded receiver
that learns codes from up to 15 TX remotes (only SkyLink transmitters, I
assume).

The RX/switch module is simply spliced into the existing manual switch
leads. Power for the module is attained from the existing switch leads.
If the GDO is so old that there is inadequate voltage at the existing switch
leads, a 12VDC wall adapter is used to supply power to the SkyLink RX/switch
module.

The keychain-type TX device is a standard 1-button device that uses an A23
battery.

These kits were priced at $2.97 on the clearance table at that Shack store.
http://www.skylinkhome.com/us/produc...l_remotes.html

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message
I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
snipped

Clicker® Universal Remote Control

KLIK1U

I purchased one of these from Home Depot to replace a stolen Stanley
remote. It worked, but the quality was mediocre and the unit's range was
considerably less than the Stanley.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

Only if Home Depot are misrepresenting returns goods as being new.

But what the previous poster is proposing is of course fraud. If he's
doing it, one day he may get caught and prosecuted.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sofa Slug wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
snipped

Clicker® Universal Remote Control

KLIK1U

I purchased one of these from Home Depot to replace a stolen Stanley
remote. It worked, but the quality was mediocre and the unit's range was
considerably less than the Stanley.

I was thinking it would be useful to test the recievers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot? Defective merchandise is returned to the
vendor, or scrapped. I've known people who worked at home Depot who's
job was to sort and process the returns, they deal with the OEM.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

And you think they don't do that?
Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

But what the previous poster is proposing is of course fraud. If he's
doing it, one day he may get caught and prosecuted.

Sylvia.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:32:01 -0700 (PDT),
put finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

Could you try programming a learning remote with your suspect ones? It
wouldn't matter if the original was a code hopping type -- you would
only need to determine whether there was any response to transmission.

BTW, you may be able to get parts from Sears:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d?modelNumber=

User Manuals are available he

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/owne...ge+door+opener

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:25:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:47:50 +1000, Sylvia Else
wrote:

Only if Home Depot are misrepresenting returns goods as being new.

It is a violation of federal law to return a 'returned' item to stock
if the item has been opened, tampered with, or could have been
alterened in any way by the party returning it. This provision is
often ignored by many stores. This provision is always ignored by HD,
and a couple of other stores that will remain unnamed! bg

But what the previous poster is proposing is of course fraud. If he's
doing it, one day he may get caught and prosecuted.

Or, we can hope that that 'new' one he bought was the same broken one
he returned six weeks ago!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

Where does Home Depot get the custom replacement vacuum formed
plastic shells to heat seal? I'm not talking about shrink wrap. If you
have proof of a business selling returns as new, report them to the
Federal Trade Commission, and give them a copy the evidence. Otherwise,
you are just talking out your ass.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

Where does Home Depot get the custom replacement vacuum formed
plastic shells to heat seal? I'm not talking about shrink wrap. If you
have proof of a business selling returns as new, report them to the
Federal Trade Commission, and give them a copy the evidence. Otherwise,
you are just talking out your ass.

Home depot doesn't care enough to go to such lengths. They simply return
to the manufacturer or destroy all returns and simply sell the next fresh
shipment of crap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

Where does Home Depot get the custom replacement vacuum formed
plastic shells to heat seal? I'm not talking about shrink wrap. If you
have proof of a business selling returns as new, report them to the
Federal Trade Commission, and give them a copy the evidence. Otherwise,
you are just talking out your ass.

Home depot doesn't care enough to go to such lengths. They simply return
to the manufacturer or destroy all returns and simply sell the next fresh
shipment of crap.

It seems that no matter who is selling what, according to you, its
crap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Not at all. Just items that can't outlast a single battery change.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

I've never seen anything to that, and I've worked in electronics over
40 years.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot? Defective merchandise is returned to the
vendor, or scrapped. I've known people who worked at home Depot who's
job was to sort and process the returns, they deal with the OEM.

Sure what ever you say, after all, you know everything there is and no
one else knows anything.

It's just like you to put your foot in mouth no matter how wrong you
are just to satisfy your stubbiness and ignorant personally.

I hope you enjoy portraying your self as a dumb ass..

For your information, I know some one here locally that works at a Home
Depot and yes, they restock items on the shelf that were returned from
customers that claim it to be defective. All they do is perform a
visual cosmetic inspection and if it looks good, it goes back out for
sale for the next victim. They do this in hopes that they will either
return it late or return it to another store or maybe the customer just
didn't want it.

Think before you post!... It may improve your posture.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

Yes, Best Buy does that also, only they make mistakes and shrink wrap
items that were never sold that way in the first place.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Hearsay evidence, or fact? If it is a fact you should report them to
the Federal Trade Commission. BTW, an electret microphone still isn't a
crystal microphone, like you've claimed on other electronics newsgroups.

You claim that everything ever sold by ECG & NTE was shipped
defective. You've claimed that the place where you work as an
'engineer' continues to use chemicals long banned by the EPA, then you
call me a liar?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Home Depot and the likes are not innocent from that practice either.

So you think they have vacuum forming equipment and heat sealers in
the back of every Home Depot?

Heh. They did at the local office supply place last time I was there,
except not in the back. The shrink-wrap equipment was in the front of
the store, in plain sight right behind the registers. Caveat emptor.

Yes, Best Buy does that also, only they make mistakes and shrink wrap
items that were never sold that way in the first place.

The local Best Buy has a section of open box returns. Computers, and
some other items are shipped with a 'tamper proof seal' on the carton.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Your ignorant response to the above only goes to show your lack of real
world experience..

Why don't you get out of that closet of yours and actually look
around for change..

It appears you are what we call at work "Shoulder Educated". Most
people here that actually have real hands on experience , dealing with
the likes of you, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

You can continue with your cynical remarks as you wish, but It only
serves to make it obvious that you are oblivious to reality.

You speak like every one out there that provides a service or products
are operated by those sent by God and abide by the
rules of the Holy Grail. Well, I have news for you, You could be wrong
in that aspect!.
Oh no, that can't be.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Yawn. More ignorant 'jamie' lies.

Why don't you get out of that closet of yours and actually look
around for change..

What closet? More ignorant 'jamie' lies.

It appears you are what we call at work "Shoulder Educated". Most
people here that actually have real hands on experience , dealing with
the likes of you, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

You are what we called the janitor at work, because all you do is
push things around with a dirty mop.

You can continue with your cynical remarks as you wish, but It only
serves to make it obvious that you are oblivious to reality.

You wouldn't know reality, even though its all around you.

You speak like every one out there that provides a service or products
are operated by those sent by God and abide by the
rules of the Holy Grail. Well, I have news for you, You could be wrong
in that aspect!.

I hope Home Depot's lawyers scan usenet looking for people like
you. A clown like you on another newsgroup was claiming to sell home
made Caig De-Oxit contact cleaner. He got a cease and desist letter
from Caig's lawyers. They didn't care that he was an old man who was
shilling homemade crap to hobbyists, he was slandering their corporate
name just like you are doing to Home Depot. They have deep pockets.
Can you afford a lawsuit?

Oh no, that can't be.

Jamie, you are a pathetic joke. Your misinformation and lies are all
over the Usenet archives. You refuse to tell anyone where you claim to
work as an engineer. That means either that you are lying, or have been
in trouble over your online antics already. For a so called 'engineer',
you are pig ignorant about the way things work in the real world. Our
laws and legal system has a huge impact on designs, yet you claim to use
illegal chemicals, AC outlets above their rated voltage, and all kinds
of other things that would put that place out of business.

You were laughed out of news:sci.electronics.design for your
ignorance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Oh, so that's your final say, it's always lawyers, Lawsuits etc.. Making
arrest, putting people in jail, should I go on?

Talk about some one being pathetic, I find it hard to think I'm
actually wasting my time replying to this dogma propaganda your
generating out that hole of yours.

You are a piece of work.

Any one that really wants to know where I work and what I do can find
that information them self's. Most people that really are in touch with
how things work in the real world would know how to do that.

Secondly, I've already made several post in the past that should pretty
much indicate on what type of work I am currently doing and what I've done.

Have a miserable day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Oh, so that's your final say, it's always lawyers, Lawsuits etc.. Making
arrest, putting people in jail, should I go on?

You always do, even when you don't know what the hell you are talking
about.

Talk about some one being pathetic, I find it hard to think I'm
actually wasting my time replying to this dogma propaganda your
generating out that hole of yours.

You are a piece of work.

And you are a chunk of stinking effluent.

Any one that really wants to know where I work and what I do can find
that information them self's. Most people that really are in touch with
how things work in the real world would know how to do that.

You're losing it, and slipping back into sloppy writing.

Secondly, I've already made several post in the past that should pretty
much indicate on what type of work I am currently doing and what I've done.

Only vague claims to work for a defense contractor as an engineer, yet
from what you write, you wouldn't make a good janitor.

Have a miserable day.

Why would I want to be like you and have miserable days? You are the
sorriest, most miserable loser on Usenet. For once, I agree with Phil
Allison.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

You would agree with him, your type normally hang together.

And personally, Phil really does not bother me, I take it more
as amusement than anything else. At least he sticks to his standards.

It's no surprise to me in any case, ship jumpers usually go
on what ever side it suits them at the time. Or in other words
"What ever side the grass is greener"

You should decide on what faiths to stick to. Kind of hard to
earn any respect for some one that can't hold their own ground.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 2, 11:57*am, Jamie
t wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jamie wrote:

[...]

earn any respect for some one that can't hold their own ground.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't mean to start this. I was only trying to fix an old lady's
garage door system. Anyway thanks for the advice fellas. Lenny.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

I didn't mean to start this. I was only trying to fix an old lady's
garage door system. Anyway thanks for the advice fellas. Lenny.

Its not your fault Lenny. 'Jamie' has been pulling this crap for a
long time.

You may notice I focus that energy to a very narrow audience.

Focus? That's a laugh. You make a splatter gun look like a CNC
controlled cutting laser.

So what you're saying is, I can take crap and turn it into something
useful?

You are after my heart! I'm blushing.

Touché

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

So what you're saying is, I can take crap and turn it into something
useful?

You are after my heart! I'm blushing.

No, but you're great at taking something useful and turning it into
crap.

Garage door openers Rich Greenberg Home Repair 20 September 8th 08 12:53 AM
Garage door openers Rich Greenberg Home Ownership 17 September 8th 08 12:53 AM
Garage door openers Brian Reay UK diy 1 April 1st 07 06:00 PM
GARAGE DOOR OPENERS BrianInNY Home Repair 5 January 1st 07 11:31 PM
Garage door openers Steve Barker LT Home Repair 10 December 8th 06 05:28 PM