Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Garage door openers

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:54:25 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

If I'm not mistaken the remotes by design stop working if the photo
cells are mis-aligned or dirty.