Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GARAGE DOOR OPENERS

OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a
garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned
about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my garage
without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the existing
remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and "re-program" the
system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's the older style with dip switches, just change the code. If it's
the newer style without switches, then I have the same question.

--
Steve Barker

"BrianInNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a
garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned
about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my garage
without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the existing
remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and "re-program" the
system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of opener? Surf online to find a manual for it. If it has
dip-switches, then change them. If it has "intellicode", then re-learn the
remote(s) you have to the opener. This will exclude the missing remote.

"BrianInNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a
garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned
about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my garage
without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the existing
remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and "re-program" the
system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
If it's the older style with dip switches, just change the code. If it's
the newer style without switches, then I have the same question.

What brand? Model?
Posted to alt.home.repair

BrianInNY wrote:
OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a
garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned
about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my
garage without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the
existing remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and
"re-program" the system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.

Heh!

We had a local TV crew troll residential neighborhoods with a generic
opener. They were able to open about 1 in 20 garage doors from the street.

Fortunately, there are no recorded instances of thieves being as smart as TV
reporters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BrianInNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a
garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned
about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my garage
without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the existing
remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and "re-program" the
system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.

Sure is possible --- if you told us who made the unit.