Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Garage door openers

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:16:54 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

" wrote:

I was asked to look at an old lady's garage door opener. She says that
the opener works from the button inside the garage but the remote does
not. It just happened yesterday and it seems like we've had some
lightning come through the area over the pasr few days as well. Her
failure may be more than coincidental. I recall working on a couple of
openers several years ago during the Summer months that had damaged
photoelectrics after a storm. What I can't remember though is how to
positively determine that the photos are bad and not the radio system.
I don't know which brand opener we're dealing with if it matters. Can
anyone familiar with these systems please offer some insight into
this. Thanks very much. Lenny

You can buy replacement transmitters & receivers at Home Depot.
Older electronics were repairable, but the newer units use proprietary
ICs, with rolling security codes.

With the crap sold at home depot, you'll be lucky if the remote
outlasts a single battery change. Better buy them in lots of 20.

If you say so. I've been buying from them for 20 years and have
never had any problems, other than something being out of stock. Around
here, they beat the hell out of Lowe's, and the older chains, many who
are long gone. Scotty's hardware stores, for example were full of
rejects, factory seconds, and returns. The employees knew it was crap,
and just didn't give a damn. The new remotes & receivers were 'Stanley'
the last time I checked. What other brand are you going to recommend,
Radio Shack? There aren't many brands available as there was 25 years
ago.