Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the controller
chip is dead.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"wmson364" wrote in message
I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

If you don't have critical files on that flash drive, forget it. My last
purchase of Cruzers (4 GB each) was only about $33 for three of them.

If you do have critical files that you need to get back, may God be with
you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You might have done something that corrupted the RAM. (I did this to one by
accident.) If this is the case, it's unlikely you'll be able to get it
working again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:27:16 -0700 (PDT), wmson364
wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers.

Was it setup with an encrypted filesystem? If so, try to reinstall
the Secure utilities (which won't work if you can't access the drive):
http://hk-ie.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1345

I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

It's melted into a solid blob of silicon. Give up.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

Just for fun, try testing the flash drive:
http://hk-ie.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1354

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wmson364 wrote:
I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

Sounds like one of the chips/caps has shorted out. Throw it in the bin &
get a new one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
news
wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers.

Was it setup with an encrypted filesystem? If so, try to reinstall
the Secure utilities (which won't work if you can't access the drive):
http://hk-ie.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1345

I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

It's melted into a solid blob of silicon. Give up.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

Just for fun, try testing the flash drive:
http://hk-ie.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1354

it's possible the controller IC has failed.
I have an Attache flash drive with a transparent case,you can see two large
ICs;one is the memory IC and one the controller.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in :

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:02:20 +0100, Baron
wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the controller
chip is dead.

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is corruption
of the file system since there is a unique read/write algorithm used
to spread the usage of the file system over the entire flash memory.

but his drive is not even recognized by the PC.

Unfortunately this isn't something that can be recovered from by the
average person.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the controller
chip is dead.

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is corruption
of the file system since there is a unique read/write algorithm used
to spread the usage of the file system over the entire flash memory.

Probably the most common fault I've seen is a result of physical abuse,
and that is minute cracks in the print or soldered joints where the USB
connector meets the pcb. Repairable in some cases tho it requires the
touch of a midwife to be successful.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18 Jun 2009 13:06:23 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

it's possible the controller IC has failed.
I have an Attache flash drive with a transparent case,you can see two large
ICs;one is the memory IC and one the controller.

Actually, there's another possibility. It might be a counterfeit
flash drive.
http://reviews.ebay.com/BEWARE-of-FAKE-16GB-32GB-64GB-USB-Flash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000001236200
In the past, I've run into various flash drives and camera cards that
were counterfeit. They didn't last. A few were dead on arrival.
Looks like the Sandisk Cruzer drive is a candidate:
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Cruzer-USB-Flash-Drives-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236054

Topic drift: I've been testing the speed of flash drives with
FDBench. It works but isn't really very useful. Most of the hard
disk benchmark utilities don't seem to recognize a flash drive as a
hard disk. Is there a Windoze program for benchmarking flash drives?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Did anyone get the memo?

This is like trying to do a recovery on a hard drive after it's been on the
drill press.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

Well, I remember having lots of options in SisSoft's 'Sandra'; just checked on
the Web and indeed it has flash drive benchmarks. It's big, but even as
paranoid as I am, I found that it doesn't muck up the system and is pretty
open and transparent during and after installation.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

Yes I would agree with that synopsis ! However the OP reported an "Over
Current Event" Which suggests SC rather than cracks caused by flexing.
Those would tend to cause intermittent loss of recognition !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the controller
chip is dead.

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is corruption
of the file system since there is a unique read/write algorithm used
to spread the usage of the file system over the entire flash memory.

"Write-leveling"

Unfortunately this isn't something that can be recovered from by the
average person.

You wouldn't want to anyway, because it doesn't happen until most of the
memory cells have worn out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:01:55 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

Topic drift: I've been testing the speed of flash drives with
FDBench. It works but isn't really very useful. Most of the hard
disk benchmark utilities don't seem to recognize a flash drive as a
hard disk. Is there a Windoze program for benchmarking flash drives?

Try this freeware utility: http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20 This works
great with just about any disk drive. Note that the write tests are
destructive, so back up your data.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 18 Jun 2009 16:26:58 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

It won't be if there is not a recognizable file system.

hard drives are recognized even if they are brand new and no file system.
other USB devices get recognized without "recognizable file systems".

Unfortunately this isn't something that can be recovered from by the
average person.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

Topic drift: I've been testing the speed of flash drives with
FDBench. It works but isn't really very useful. Most of the hard
disk benchmark utilities don't seem to recognize a flash drive as a
hard disk. Is there a Windoze program for benchmarking flash drives?

Try this freeware utility: http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20 This works
great with just about any disk drive. Note that the write tests are
destructive, so back up your data.

Ummm... Looks like exactly what I need. However, when I downloaded it
from the USA, German, and AUS sites, AVG 8.5 complained that it was
infected with WIN32/HEUR virus. SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and
Spybot S&D didn't find anything wrong, so I think it's a false
positive. However, I don't wanna try running it on this machine as
the backups are about 2 months old. I'll try it later on some other
machine. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in :

On 19 Jun 2009 14:33:01 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

Yep

other USB devices get recognized without "recognizable file systems".

Yep.

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

so when does a USB device NOT get recognized as hardware when plugged into
a USB port? How's that work??

(under Windows,not some other op system)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

I sent email to the author and just got a reply. He's tried to get
AVG to do something about the false positive. No luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Jun 2009 16:30:49 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

so when does a USB device NOT get recognized as hardware when plugged into
a USB port? How's that work??

(under Windows,not some other op system)

When it's just powered by the 5VDC on the USB jack. My LED night
light runs on USB power and doesn't get recognized by Windoze. Same
with my USB massager:
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0081
However, a USB memory device will need to be recognized by Windoze in
order to work, so my examples don't really count.

I wonder if Windoze will recognize this USB device?
http://gizmodo.com/5232951/usb-vibrator-brings-bodily-fluids-a-bit-too-close-to-your-ports

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2009 16:30:49 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

so when does a USB device NOT get recognized as hardware when plugged
into a USB port? How's that work??

(under Windows,not some other op system)

When it's just powered by the 5VDC on the USB jack. My LED night
light runs on USB power and doesn't get recognized by Windoze. Same
with my USB massager:
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0081
However, a USB memory device will need to be recognized by Windoze in
order to work, so my examples don't really count.

SHEESH,those are NOT personal computer devices.
you're just tapping the USB power supply.
Use some common sense,man.

I wonder if Windoze will recognize this USB device?
http://gizmodo.com/5232951/usb-vibra...ids-a-bit-too-
close-to-your-ports

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in
:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

When it fails to communicate with the hotplug/automount hal daemon. Do
you think a USB flash drive Fairy sees your device being plugged in
then flips a magic switch inside your PC?

IOW,you have NO answer,and don't know. You should man up and just say so.

(under Windows,not some other op system)

Actually now it's done the same way in Linux and should be the same in
any OS running a hald with hotplug.

And no it doesn't hold true for everything plugged into a USB port,

Eveything that's a PC I/O USB device.(stuff that's MEANT for a PC to use.)
Not the power tappers like Lieberman cited.

just a NAND or NOR type EEPROM flash drive that was asked of in the
original subject.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2009 21:59:18 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

Ah, so that's your intent. You really couldn't give a **** about how
it works huh? Just that I'm wrong or have no answer

Tell you what ****head, it's you who doesn't know. Go Google and read
how flash storage works then apologize for your stupidity when you
laughably compared flash storage to that of a spinning drive LOL!

(under Windows,not some other op system)

Actually now it's done the same way in Linux and should be the same
in any OS running a hald with hotplug.

And no it doesn't hold true for everything plugged into a USB port,

Eveything that's a PC I/O USB device.(stuff that's MEANT for a PC to
use.) Not the power tappers like Lieberman cited.

Read the part above where I said Google. The way this **** is evolving
there really isn't one answer that can cover it from the time the USB
flash drives appeared to today's flash drives.

just a NAND or NOR type EEPROM flash drive that was asked of in the
original subject.

Nice creative snipping there Yankit.

So,essentially,you won't provide supporting evidence(instead wanting ME
to do that),and further resort to name calling,indicating you've lost the
argument.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

[...]

I mean really! The poster cited a USB overcurrent message. Do we really
need to guess what kind of flash drive would give an overcurrent message. I
could see this kind of thing with a portable Hard Drive. Gee, why not try
plugging it into one of the rear ports and see if it will pull the power
supply down? Lol! I like the joke about "too close to bodily fluids!"
Something about Cruisers and Hot Pockets!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

Hmm. Avira reports nothing, and I've been using it for quite awhile with
no problems. I uploaded the file to http://www.virustotal.com
which uses a large number of different virus scanner programs. Only three
reported it as "suspicious". The funny part is that AVG didn't see it as a
virus! Maybe see if there are any updates for your scanner?

Anyway, I think you're right about the false positive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:18:02 +1000, Bob Larter
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Meat Plow wrote:

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is corruption
of the file system since there is a unique read/write algorithm used
to spread the usage of the file system over the entire flash memory.

"Write-leveling"

I've always seen it called "wear leveling".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:16:16 -0400, Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

AIUI, this MS utility will retrieve information from any USB device,
file system or no file system, even without any drivers being
installed:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The device also reports its maximum rated current demand.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:23 +0100, Baron
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

However the OP reported an "Over Current Event" Which suggests SC ..

There looks to be a 3-terminal linear 3.3V (?) regulator at the rear
of the PCB in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-DSCN0411.JPG

I wonder if it could be a possible suspect.

BTW, the NAND flash memory IC, K9K2G08U0M, is a 3.3V part:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-.../DSA-86237.pdf

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:26:59 +1000 Franc Zabkar
wrote in Message id:
:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:16:16 -0400, Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

AIUI, this MS utility will retrieve information from any USB device,
file system or no file system, even without any drivers being
installed:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The device also reports its maximum rated current demand.

Nice little program, hard to believe it was written by MS.
Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:23 +0100, Baron
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

However the OP reported an "Over Current Event" Which suggests SC ..

There looks to be a 3-terminal linear 3.3V (?) regulator at the rear
of the PCB in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-DSCN0411.JPG

I wonder if it could be a possible suspect.

BTW, the NAND flash memory IC, K9K2G08U0M, is a 3.3V part:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-.../DSA-86237.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

If that device is indeed a 3.3V regulator it would definitely be
suspect. In the dead ones I've played around with there has never been
any markings to identify the small components.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:08:35 -0400, JW put finger to
keyboard and composed:

wrote in Message id:
:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:16:16 -0400, Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

AIUI, this MS utility will retrieve information from any USB device,
file system or no file system, even without any drivers being
installed:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The device also reports its maximum rated current demand.

Nice little program, hard to believe it was written by MS.

Maybe it was too good. MS appears to have removed it from their site.
In fact it's very hard to find it anywhere ... except on my web space.

For some reason the USB vendor IDs are encoded within the EXE file.
I've managed to decipher the code and have published the list he

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...ew_vid_nam.txt

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:16:16 -0400, Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

AIUI, this MS utility will retrieve information from any USB device,
file system or no file system, even without any drivers being
installed:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The device also reports its maximum rated current demand.

Note that this is not the actual current drain. It's the maximum
current specified by the manufactory when it was registered.

Nice little program, hard to believe it was written by MS.

Maybe it was too good. MS appears to have removed it from their site.
In fact it's very hard to find it anywhere ... except on my web space.

It's not UVCview.exe. That's a Quickcam tool. It should be called
USBview.exe. An old version of USBview can be found on the Windoze 98
CD under the tools directory. It might be on the ME disk, but I don't
have one handy to check.

There are bugs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100

The latest bug fixed release is mixed in with the Server 2003 DDK
(driver development kludge) SP1. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx
All you have to do is download 230MBytes of driver development stuff,
in order to extract the lastest file. I'm tempted.

For some reason the USB vendor IDs are encoded within the EXE file.
I've managed to decipher the code and have published the list he
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...ew_vid_nam.txt

Nice. Thanks.

- Franc Zabkar

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:35:06 -0700, Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

It's not UVCview.exe. That's a Quickcam tool. It should be called
USBview.exe. An old version of USBview can be found on the Windoze 98
CD under the tools directory. It might be on the ME disk, but I don't
have one handy to check.

UVCView, despite the deceptive name, appears to detect all USB
devices, regardless of type. USBview, which I have on my site, is a
much earlier utility.

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/

I have seen two versions of it, one on the Win98 CD, another one on
the Web.

Here are the Properties of UVCView:

File Version:
6.0.5079.0 (vbl_media_core(percyt).050509-1227)

Microsoft® Windows(TM) USB device viewer

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation 1996-2005.

Internal Name:
UVCView

Original filename:
UVCView.EXE

I downloaded my copy from Microsoft's web site many years ago. In
subsequent years references to it remained on the MS site, but no
download. Now it appears that all references point to an updated
USBview, as you say.

There are bugs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100

The latest bug fixed release is mixed in with the Server 2003 DDK
(driver development kludge) SP1. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx
All you have to do is download 230MBytes of driver development stuff,
in order to extract the lastest file. I'm tempted.

If you do, please let me have a copy. I'd like to extract the latest
vendor IDs.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 06:44:57 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

I have seen two versions of it, one on the Win98 CD, another one on
the Web.

Here are the Properties of UVCView:

File Version:
6.0.5079.0 (vbl_media_core(percyt).050509-1227)

I'm not sure if this is the latest version. Although the latest
appears to be the 2003 version, I would think it has been recompiled
for the Server 2008 SDK. Note that USBView or whatever is a sample
application for the SDK (software development kludge). Also see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526325.aspx
Source code is available.

Microsoft® Windows(TM) USB device viewer

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation 1996-2005.

Internal Name:
UVCView

Original filename:
UVCView.EXE

Weird. That's actually the name of the video camera tool.

There are bugs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100

More old bugs in W2K:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838771

The latest bug fixed release is mixed in with the Server 2003 DDK
(driver development kludge) SP1. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx
All you have to do is download 230MBytes of driver development stuff,
in order to extract the lastest file. I'm tempted.

If you do, please let me have a copy. I'd like to extract the latest
vendor IDs.

Nope. Too much work. I would need to join various MS groups in order
to download the SDK. No thanks:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/WDK/WDKpkg.mspx

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron Inscribed thus:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:23 +0100, Baron
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

However the OP reported an "Over Current Event" Which suggests SC ..

There looks to be a 3-terminal linear 3.3V (?) regulator at the rear
of the PCB in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-DSCN0411.JPG

I wonder if it could be a possible suspect.

BTW, the NAND flash memory IC, K9K2G08U0M, is a 3.3V part:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-.../DSA-86237.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

If that device is indeed a 3.3V regulator it would definitely be
suspect. In the dead ones I've played around with there has never
been any markings to identify the small components.

Hi Franc,
I've just been and had a look at a dead stick out of the scrap box. It
does look very similar with the sot23 device near the end. There are
no markings at all on the chip. There is a dead short between all
three pins. Same with it removed from circuit.

However all three pads show a short to both power pins on the USB
socket.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:43:14 -0400, Thor put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Look at post #24

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...c=123109&st=20

5.1.2600.2180 built by: WinDDK

http://www.mdgx.com/files/USBVIEW.EXE

This downloads an exe so be aware. I scanned it and it looks ok and it works on
win98SE.

Thor

I have a version 5.1.2600.0 built by: WinDDK.

The vendor names are in plain text format whereas in the later version
they appear to be compressed. I don't think I'm smart enough to decode
compressed data. I was successful with UVCView because the vendor
names are encoded without compression.

BTW, virustotal.com says USBVIEW.EXE is clean.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 01:43:14 -0400, Thor put finger
to keyboard and composed:

I emailed you.

Got it. Thanks.

- Franc Zabkar