Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:54:04 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:45:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:13:56 -0400, JW wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:01:55 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

Topic drift: I've been testing the speed of flash drives with
FDBench. It works but isn't really very useful. Most of the hard
disk benchmark utilities don't seem to recognize a flash drive as a
hard disk. Is there a Windoze program for benchmarking flash drives?

Try this freeware utility: http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20 This works
great with just about any disk drive. Note that the write tests are
destructive, so back up your data.

Ummm... Looks like exactly what I need. However, when I downloaded it
from the USA, German, and AUS sites, AVG 8.5 complained that it was
infected with WIN32/HEUR virus. SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and
Spybot S&D didn't find anything wrong, so I think it's a false
positive. However, I don't wanna try running it on this machine as
the backups are about 2 months old. I'll try it later on some other
machine. Thanks.

I sent email to the author and just got a reply. He's tried to get
AVG to do something about the false positive. No luck.

Hmm. Avira reports nothing, and I've been using it for quite awhile with
no problems. I uploaded the file to http://www.virustotal.com
which uses a large number of different virus scanner programs. Only three
reported it as "suspicious". The funny part is that AVG didn't see it as a
virus! Maybe see if there are any updates for your scanner?

Anyway, I think you're right about the false positive.