Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

Baron Inscribed thus:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:23 +0100, Baron
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

However the OP reported an "Over Current Event" Which suggests SC ..

There looks to be a 3-terminal linear 3.3V (?) regulator at the rear
of the PCB in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-DSCN0411.JPG

I wonder if it could be a possible suspect.

BTW, the NAND flash memory IC, K9K2G08U0M, is a 3.3V part:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-.../DSA-86237.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

If that device is indeed a 3.3V regulator it would definitely be
suspect. In the dead ones I've played around with there has never
been any markings to identify the small components.

Hi Franc,
I've just been and had a look at a dead stick out of the scrap box. It
does look very similar with the sot23 device near the end. There are
no markings at all on the chip. There is a dead short between all
three pins. Same with it removed from circuit.

However all three pads show a short to both power pins on the USB
socket.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.