Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:35:52 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:08:35 -0400, JW put finger to
keyboard and composed:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:26:59 +1000 Franc Zabkar
wrote in Message id:
:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:16:16 -0400, Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives get
recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold true for
everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

AIUI, this MS utility will retrieve information from any USB device,
file system or no file system, even without any drivers being
installed:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The device also reports its maximum rated current demand.

Note that this is not the actual current drain. It's the maximum
current specified by the manufactory when it was registered.

Nice little program, hard to believe it was written by MS.

Maybe it was too good. MS appears to have removed it from their site.
In fact it's very hard to find it anywhere ... except on my web space.

It's not UVCview.exe. That's a Quickcam tool. It should be called
USBview.exe. An old version of USBview can be found on the Windoze 98
CD under the tools directory. It might be on the ME disk, but I don't
have one handy to check.

There are bugs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100

The latest bug fixed release is mixed in with the Server 2003 DDK
(driver development kludge) SP1. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx
All you have to do is download 230MBytes of driver development stuff,
in order to extract the lastest file. I'm tempted.

For some reason the USB vendor IDs are encoded within the EXE file.
I've managed to decipher the code and have published the list he
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...ew_vid_nam.txt

Nice. Thanks.

- Franc Zabkar

--