Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2009 21:59:18 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 20 Jun 2009 16:30:49 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 19 Jun 2009 14:33:01 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On 18 Jun 2009 16:26:58 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:02:20 +0100, Baron
wrot e:

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer
recognized by computers. I've tried it in several and they
do not see it and the LED does not flash. When it was last
connected to a cpu, the screen gave me a USB overcurrent
message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be
blown? I've looked it over and don't recognize one. There's
a osc crystal, a couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res
units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the
controller chip is dead.

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is
corruption of the file system since there is a unique
read/write algorithm used to spread the usage of the file
system over the entire flash memory.

but his drive is not even recognized by the PC.

It won't be if there is not a recognizable file system.

hard drives are recognized even if they are brand new and no file
system.

Yep

other USB devices get recognized without "recognizable file
systems".

Yep.

And your point is what? That if other USB devices and hard drives
get recognized as hardware with no file systems this should hold
true for everything you plug into a USB port?

I suppose that's the average assumption.

so when does a USB device NOT get recognized as hardware when
plugged into a USB port? How's that work??

When it fails to communicate with the hotplug/automount hal daemon.
Do you think a USB flash drive Fairy sees your device being plugged
in then flips a magic switch inside your PC?

IOW,you have NO answer,and don't know. You should man up and just say
so.

Ah, so that's your intent. You really couldn't give a **** about how
it works huh? Just that I'm wrong or have no answer

Tell you what ****head, it's you who doesn't know. Go Google and read
how flash storage works then apologize for your stupidity when you
laughably compared flash storage to that of a spinning drive LOL!

(under Windows,not some other op system)

Actually now it's done the same way in Linux and should be the same
in any OS running a hald with hotplug.

And no it doesn't hold true for everything plugged into a USB port,

Eveything that's a PC I/O USB device.(stuff that's MEANT for a PC to
use.) Not the power tappers like Lieberman cited.

Read the part above where I said Google. The way this **** is evolving
there really isn't one answer that can cover it from the time the USB
flash drives appeared to today's flash drives.

just a NAND or NOR type EEPROM flash drive that was asked of in the
original subject.

Nice creative snipping there Yankit.

So,essentially,you won't provide supporting evidence(instead wanting ME
to do that),and further resort to name calling,indicating you've lost the
argument.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik