Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Non-Working Cruzer Flash Drive

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:02:20 +0100, Baron
wrote:

wmson364 wrote:

I have a 2 gb Cruzer flash drive that is no longer recognized by
computers. I've tried it in several and they do not see it and the
LED does not flash. When it was last connected to a cpu, the screen
gave me a USB overcurrent message and now the drive no longer works.

Its no longer under warranty so...
Does the circuit board have a "fuse" on it that could be blown? I've
looked it over and don't recognize one. There's a osc crystal, a
couple of IC's and several trans/caps/res units.

You might be lucky and a cap has gone SC. More often the controller
chip is dead.

Well one of the most common (non physical abuse) problem is corruption
of the file system since there is a unique read/write algorithm used
to spread the usage of the file system over the entire flash memory.

Probably the most common fault I've seen is a result of physical abuse,
and that is minute cracks in the print or soldered joints where the USB
connector meets the pcb. Repairable in some cases tho it requires the
touch of a midwife to be successful.

Ron