Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Mystery Voices

I was making some notes on my cassette recorder in a totally quiet
room, but when I played back the tape there was a male voice saying
"Hello, hello.... Hello, hello...." for about twenty seconds. I've
seen on rare occasions voices, sometimes music, coming from my guitar
amplifier when it was on and even from te TV set when it was actually
turned off, but this was rather freaky. How does a tape recorder do
something like that, and especially do it and only have the extraneous
voice be heard on the tape but not while it as being recorded?

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article
,
Ron wrote:

I was making some notes on my cassette recorder in a totally quiet
room, but when I played back the tape there was a male voice saying
"Hello, hello.... Hello, hello...." for about twenty seconds. I've
seen on rare occasions voices, sometimes music, coming from my guitar
amplifier when it was on and even from te TV set when it was actually
turned off, but this was rather freaky. How does a tape recorder do
something like that, and especially do it and only have the extraneous
voice be heard on the tape but not while it as being recorded?

A nearby radio ham could cause that.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I was making some notes on my cassette recorder in a totally quiet
room, but when I played back the tape there was a male voice saying
"Hello, hello.... Hello, hello...." for about twenty seconds. I've
seen on rare occasions voices, sometimes music, coming from my guitar
amplifier when it was on and even from te TV set when it was actually
turned off, but this was rather freaky. How does a tape recorder do
something like that, and especially do it and only have the extraneous
voice be heard on the tape but not while it as being recorded?

A nearby radio ham could cause that.

Ham-radio operator, CB operator, police radio... any strong-enough
local source of RF can leak into the equipment and its electronics.
Power cords and speaker wires can act as antennas, making the pickup
even more sensitive.

Once inside the equipment, the RF can mix into the signals in the
active circuitry, be amplified, and you end up hearing whatever was
being transmitted. In the case of the "haunted" tape recorder, the RF
probably leaked into the microphone circuitry; the recording
electronics "detected" the audio and mixed it with what you were
saying and then recorded the combined signal onto the tape.

Under conditions of very high RF power (e.g. near an AM radio
station's tower) it's very hard to avoid this sort of bleed-in
entirely... there are stories of people hearing radio broadcasts "in
their head" as a result of RF pickup by the braces on their teeth!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

In the case of the "haunted" tape recorder, the RF
probably leaked into the microphone circuitry; the recording
electronics "detected" the audio and mixed it with what you were
saying and then recorded the combined signal onto the tape.

Hmmm.... in this case, the signals weren't combined: the extraneous
signal totally wiped out what I had taped for about twenty seconds.
And what I don't get is-- well, there are a couple of things that I
don't get now that I think about it.

First, is where such a signal would come from. There are no hams or
other sources close by. As many times as I have made tapes over the
years, this is the only time such a thing has happened.

And secondly, why just the one word ("Hel-lo...") repeated six times.
Someone transmitting would have produced a conversation or at least a
part of a conversation in an inadvertent transmission. Hello is sort
of "hailing frequencies open, Captain" sort of thing. The few rare
times that sound has come from a dead TV speaker, that had been
numbers and other things that would indicate part of a larger
transmission; this seemed to be... complete.

I read somewhere that something vaguely similar happened here in
Portland about thirty years ago when an organ at some local church
started picking up weird signals, but this is a little *too* weird. ;-
(

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote in message

[...]

I remember seeing a demonstration in the civil engineering lab of
Southampton University , 1/4 mile from the student union.
We were watching a completely mechanical but sensitive strain follower and
someone noticed that there was a small perterbation in the trace that showed
morse (30 years ago) for G3KMI, and CQ etc if IIRC, and he knew the radio
club was operating at that time and their call sign was G3KMI

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 02:11:00 -0800, Ron wrote:

text deleted

I read somewhere that something vaguely similar happened here in
Portland about thirty years ago when an organ at some local church
started picking up weird signals, but this is a little *too* weird. ;-
(

Ron

It most likely the recorder was picking up stray signals from some
transmitter in your vicinity.

As for the repeated hello's the person was likely testing his transmitter
on an open air connection.

Since CB's arent licensed nor required to be hooked to an outdoor antenna
anyone even your next door neighbor could be the culprit and it's not
necessarily a fixed station it could be someone with an Illegal high power
mobile amplifier who was close enough to overload your recorder.

The signal didn't have to enter by the microphone either it could have
found a corroded or loose connection within the amplifier assembly and
been strong enough to obliterate your input. One highly likely spot is the
play /record switch which is very subject to poor contacts and corrosion.

Gnack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

I see from the way that you have written the word that you heard repeated,
it wasn't just a "hello" as someone might say on the telephone. Using the
word "hello" repeatedly, and breaking it into one long drawn out initial
syllable followed by a second normal speed syllable like in "heeey - lo" is
a very standard way of tuning up a radio transmitter, and can be heard
regularly on the ham bands. That first long syllable can be used to look at
power output from the transmitter - particularly when using SSB - and also
for tuning up a linear amplifier, an atu, or the transmitter's internal
final. Until fairly recently, any half-way decent amateur operator, would
have inserted a couple of "G2XYZ test" in amongst the "hello"s, but the
recent relaxations in the requirement to keep a log, or to actually qualify
for a license rather than cutting one out from the back of a cornflake
packet, (sorry Harry if you're looking in at this group - not intended as a
pop at all M's ...) has resulted in much bad operating practice.

I, like the others, would subscribe to the theory that this was as the
result of a strong radio signal from a ham operator. He could have been
operating mobile from his car just outside your house, or be a fixed station
even a mile away, driving 400 watts into a beam antenna pointing your way.

Of course, there could be a ghost living in your tape recorder, or possibly
in the cassette itself ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Platt wrote:

there are stories of people hearing radio broadcasts "in
their head" as a result of RF pickup by the braces on their teeth!

I can confirm that effect ! I have a porcelain/stainless steel gum
implanted prosthetic tooth. I can occasionally hear radio broadcasts
in my head. Most often when I am in bed at night when its quiet. I
found that clenching my jaw will instantly stop the effect, but I
haven't discovered how to make it happen on demand.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

;- (

[...]

I agree. There are a lot of mobile radio hams about particularly during
contests.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

I was making some notes on my cassette recorder in a totally quiet
room, but when I played back the tape there was a male voice saying
"Hello, hello.... Hello, hello...." for about twenty seconds. I've
seen on rare occasions voices, sometimes music, coming from my guitar
amplifier when it was on and even from te TV set when it was actually
turned off, but this was rather freaky. How does a tape recorder do
something like that, and especially do it and only have the extraneous
voice be heard on the tape but not while it as being recorded?

Ron

You have a ghost in your house and the recorder was picking up an EVP.
Do a google search for EVP. Lots of people use recorders to hear what
ghosts are saying. You can't hear them while recording, but the
playback has their voices imprinted on the tape.

There is an organization in Utah that has recorded some pretty strange
things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ron wrote:

In the case of the "haunted" tape recorder, the RF
probably leaked into the microphone circuitry; the recording
electronics "detected" the audio and mixed it with what you were
saying and then recorded the combined signal onto the tape.

Hmmm.... in this case, the signals weren't combined: the extraneous
signal totally wiped out what I had taped for about twenty seconds.
And what I don't get is-- well, there are a couple of things that I
don't get now that I think about it.

First, is where such a signal would come from. There are no hams or
other sources close by. As many times as I have made tapes over the
years, this is the only time such a thing has happened.

First, a radio ham, with a transmitter powerful enough to mess
with your recorder would, in the vast majority of cases, be using
Single Side Band modulation and would sound like Donald Duck on
steroids.

So either somebody found your recorder, and was messing with your
head by recording something over top your recording, between the
time you made it and then listened to it. Or the erase head in
the recorder is flaky and that was what was on the tape beforehand.

Mark Zenier

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

You have a ghost in your house and the recorder was picking up an EVP.
Do a google search for EVP. Lots of people use recorders to hear what
ghosts are saying. You can't hear them while recording, but the
playback has their voices imprinted on the tape.

There is an organization in Utah that has recorded some pretty strange
things.

Hmmm.... I have an easier time believing that Tesla was in contact
with Mars than a ghost in the machine (no pun intended). Still, I
guess as Mr. Spock is fond of saying, there are always possibilities.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

You have a ghost in your house and the recorder was picking up an EVP.
Do a google search for EVP. Lots of people use recorders to hear what
ghosts are saying. You can't hear them while recording, but the
playback has their voices imprinted on the tape.

There is an organization in Utah that has recorded some pretty strange
things.

Hmmm.... I have an easier time believing that Tesla was in contact
with Mars than a ghost in the machine (no pun intended). Still, I
guess as Mr. Spock is fond of saying, there are always possibilities.

Ron

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it ... " d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

You have a ghost in your house and the recorder was picking up an EVP.
Do a google search for EVP. Lots of people use recorders to hear what
ghosts are saying. You can't hear them while recording, but the
playback has their voices imprinted on the tape.

There is an organization in Utah that has recorded some pretty strange
things.

Hmmm.... I have an easier time believing that Tesla was in contact
with Mars than a ghost in the machine (no pun intended). Still, I
guess as Mr. Spock is fond of saying, there are always possibilities.

Ron

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it ... " d;~}

Uh-huh... Bones, don't you mean "after-life?" :-)

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message
In article
,
Ron wrote:

[...]

There's been quite a revival of interest in AM in some parts, particularly
on topband. AM transmissions are readily demodulated by base - emitter
transistor junctions, or amplifier stages driven to non-linearity by such
signals. Also, a powerful FM transmitter can be 'received' on a tape
recorder, by the signal getting into, and beating with, the bias oscillator.
The bias oscillator's L-C tuned circuit may also operate as a form of simple
slope detector. So although I agree that the commonest high power mode is
SSB, this by no means rules out a different mode, quite possibly generated
by a ham radio operator.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

[...]

On this side of the pond, it's CB operators (it's hard to actually call
them 'operators', but for the lack of a better word....). They often
use AM, and they're famous for their lack of technical ability. They
often use illegal high power amplifiers. Many have a total disregard
for any ill-effect of their silly games.

Any signal strong enough can totally swamp everything else in the
recorder circuitry, leaving the detected signal on the tape.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,
Ron wrote:

[...]

Isn't nice to have rational explanations for things that are totally
irrational? Unfortunately, neither of those conditions were true.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

Okay... But why this one word, this one time, in years of using of the
tape recorder at this current location? 'Sorry, but this is a little
too much like the explanations I have gotten for a couple incidents of
SLI (street light interference): credible, but not totally satisfying.
But then I suppose there are a lot things like that in the world...

Ron

--------
"Logic is the science of being wrong with certainty."

- Ketterling's Law -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

How long can this go on for? I explained carefully *why* this "one word" and
several of us have explained various mechanisms by which the recording could
have occured. Asking why it happened on this one occasion out of years,
given the number of variables in play such as mobile operation, station
maybe a mile away, beam antenna heading at the time it happened, maybe a
'new' piece of kit to whomever was using it, maybe a poorly loaded / tuned
antenna giving rise to all manner of spurii from the transmitter, maybe a
new licensee just setting up his station, maybe someone newly moved-in,
maybe an ex-CBer who's just gone active again after his wife left him and so
on, is frankly a bit silly really. It's like asking why, having crossed a
certain road successfully every day for years, on this particular day, you
got hit by a car ...

If you want a definitive answer to this episode, there just isn't one.
Merely a bunch of likely scenarios. Or a ghost in your recorder.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Elephant wrote:
Ron wrote:

[...]

EVP gets recorded regardless of the medium. Its thought magnetic waves
are the culprit directly activating the sensitive mic circuitry. The recordings
are rarely clear and distinct. Strong RF signals are to be blamed
for distinct interference.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 02:11:00 -0800, Ron wrote:

text deleted

I read somewhere that something vaguely similar happened here in
Portland about thirty years ago when an organ at some local church
started picking up weird signals, but this is a little *too* weird.
;-
(

[...]

Its a ghost, no question. You know who to call. (ghostbusters)

No but in all seriousness, chance is a strange thing. One would think if you
roll a die you would most likely not roll the same number 10 times in a row.
or flip a quarter and get heads every time, but I've had it happen. Thats
why its called chance. I'd guess that a chance RF signal just happened to
screw with your tape recorder.

But I can't say with any certainty what happened anymore than anyone else.
Believe what you like. Who knows maybe there really are ghosts out there. We
only understand a very small fraction of how this universe works. I know
theres lots of things that we are sure of today that in the future will seem
as silly as being sure that the Earth is flat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

What self-respecting ghost would go around wasting ectoplasm saying hello,
hello ..... into a tape-recorder

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "N_Cook" wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote in message
m...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

They usually say GET OUT.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Michael Kennedy" wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

See you on the other side of the Universe ! I'm going in my wormhole.

I have looked at most of the ghoasthunting equipment because
I have needs for searching for noise. Magnetic and electrostatic
interference plays hell with sensitive equipment.
Most of the ghost hunting I have seen on TV involves very
little use of any equipment that can identify things other than voice
or video and field strengths. There are some people however with some very good
equipment such as spectrum analyzer measuring magnetics
and electrostatics, and not just measuring field strength. Some
are also trying to measure time shifts.

Did I ever tell about the time I made a gravity detector ??
Out of 80's electronics mag. It worked !! I sware !!

http://amasci.com/freenrg/grav3.html

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

(GregS) wrote in news:gnc82c$j80$1
@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

http://amasci.com/freenrg/grav3.html

Note the DATE of the article quoted.

[quote]
Reproduced without permission from
Radio-Electronics magazine April 1986
[unquote]
It was long the custom of the magazine in question, to publish an APRIL
FOOLS article, in the month of April.

I remember being bit a couple of times, myself.

The articles are usually very well written and very plausible.

I remember the 'cold cathode vacuum tube' article with blue glowing
cathodes.
I remember the atomic powered transistors with built in power sources.

Then there was the gravity wave detector.

All in good fun.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
[...]

Maybe one without any self respect ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have looked at most of the ghoasthunting equipment because
I have needs for searching for noise. Magnetic and electrostatic
interference plays hell with sensitive equipment.
Most of the ghost hunting I have seen on TV involves very
little use of any equipment that can identify things other than voice
or video and field strengths. There are some people however with some very
good
equipment such as spectrum analyzer measuring magnetics
and electrostatics, and not just measuring field strength. Some
are also trying to measure time shifts.

Did I ever tell about the time I made a gravity detector ??
Out of 80's electronics mag. It worked !! I sware !!

http://amasci.com/freenrg/grav3.html

greg

I check the gravity in my house every day. I let go of a plate. If it falls
to the ground and breaks, then the gravity is detected and still there, and
I can breath a sigh of relief that I'm not going to shoot off into space ...
:-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

I check the gravity in my house every day. I let go of a plate. If it falls
to the ground and breaks, then the gravity is detected and still there, and
I can breath a sigh of relief that I'm not going to shoot off into space ...

I'm still trying to explain how my aged mother could drop a frozen
ribeye steak onto the floor, but when she bent to look for it-- and a
few moments later when I looked for it-- it was gone. Nowhere to be
found anywhere inside (or out). Would'a been funny if my mother had a
sense of humor, but since she doesn't, the incident goes into the
Unsolved Mysteries file along with a few other inexplicables. So,
does *everything* really always fall down?

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Ron wrote:

I check the gravity in my house every day. I let go of a plate. If it falls
to the ground and breaks, then the gravity is detected and still there, and
I can breath a sigh of relief that I'm not going to shoot off into space ...

I'm still trying to explain how my aged mother could drop a frozen
ribeye steak onto the floor, but when she bent to look for it-- and a
few moments later when I looked for it-- it was gone. Nowhere to be
found anywhere inside (or out). Would'a been funny if my mother had a
sense of humor, but since she doesn't, the incident goes into the
Unsolved Mysteries file along with a few other inexplicables. So,
does *everything* really always fall down?

I have unexplained incidents happen shortly after
loved ones passed.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

I have unexplained incidents happen shortly after
loved ones passed.

That has happened around here, thankfully, but there are mysteries and
there are... mysteries. I had a three-pack of videotapes; I put one in
my tape machine and I turned around to put the other two away, but
only one was on the bed. I looked for that third tape for two weeks
before I gave up finding it. Then about a month later I was lying in
bed when out of the corner of my eye I saw the missing tape fall--
from nowhere in particular-- onto the bed beside my right arm. To that
I would swear to and take any lie detector test ever made; that really
happened.

Some folks have come up with the concept of "hammer space." No
kidding: Google it. I'm only now beginning to think that maybe four
dimensions just aren't enough to cover it all. Lol.

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 19, 1:34*am, Ron wrote:
I check the gravity in my house every day. I let go of a plate. If it falls
to the ground and breaks, then the gravity is detected and still there, and
I can breath a sigh of relief that I'm not going to shoot off into space ...

I'm still trying to explain how my aged mother could drop a frozen
ribeye steak onto the floor, but when she bent to look for it-- and a
few moments later when I looked for it-- it was gone. Nowhere to be
found anywhere inside (or out). Would'a been funny if my mother had a
sense of humor, but since she doesn't, the incident goes into the
Unsolved Mysteries file *along with a few other inexplicables. So,
does *everything* really always fall down?

Ron

Maybe there was a really quick dog ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

What self-respecting ghost would go around wasting ectoplasm saying hello,
hello ..... into a tape-recorder

You're not familiar with the works of Douglas Adams ?

Graham

Mystery gas Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 14 January 22nd 08 08:53 PM
mystery pic Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 4 June 13th 07 03:06 PM
Tap mystery Paul Andrews UK diy 10 May 24th 06 10:01 AM
OT - I hear voices... jim rozen Metalworking 2 January 11th 05 04:54 PM