Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Mystery Voices

In article , "Michael Kennedy" wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Gnack Nol wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 02:11:00 -0800, Ron wrote:

text deleted

I read somewhere that something vaguely similar happened here in
Portland about thirty years ago when an organ at some local church
started picking up weird signals, but this is a little *too* weird.
;-
(

Ron

It most likely the recorder was picking up stray signals from some
transmitter in your vicinity.

As for the repeated hello's the person was likely testing his
transmitter
on an open air connection.

Since CB's arent licensed nor required to be hooked to an outdoor
antenna
anyone even your next door neighbor could be the culprit and it's not
necessarily a fixed station it could be someone with an Illegal high
power
mobile amplifier who was close enough to overload your recorder.

The signal didn't have to enter by the microphone either it could have
found a corroded or loose connection within the amplifier assembly and
been strong enough to obliterate your input. One highly likely spot is
the
play /record switch which is very subject to poor contacts and
corrosion.

Okay... But why this one word, this one time, in years of using of the
tape recorder at this current location? 'Sorry, but this is a little
too much like the explanations I have gotten for a couple incidents of
SLI (street light interference): credible, but not totally satisfying.
But then I suppose there are a lot things like that in the world...

Ron

--------
"Logic is the science of being wrong with certainty."

- Ketterling's Law -

How long can this go on for? I explained carefully *why* this "one word"
and several of us have explained various mechanisms by which the recording
could have occured. Asking why it happened on this one occasion out of
years, given the number of variables in play such as mobile operation,
station maybe a mile away, beam antenna heading at the time it happened,
maybe a 'new' piece of kit to whomever was using it, maybe a poorly loaded
/ tuned antenna giving rise to all manner of spurii from the transmitter,
maybe a new licensee just setting up his station, maybe someone newly
moved-in, maybe an ex-CBer who's just gone active again after his wife
left him and so on, is frankly a bit silly really. It's like asking why,
having crossed a certain road successfully every day for years, on this
particular day, you got hit by a car ...

If you want a definitive answer to this episode, there just isn't one.
Merely a bunch of likely scenarios. Or a ghost in your recorder.

Arfa

Its a ghost, no question. You know who to call. (ghostbusters)

No but in all seriousness, chance is a strange thing. One would think if you
roll a die you would most likely not roll the same number 10 times in a row.
or flip a quarter and get heads every time, but I've had it happen. Thats
why its called chance. I'd guess that a chance RF signal just happened to
screw with your tape recorder.

But I can't say with any certainty what happened anymore than anyone else.
Believe what you like. Who knows maybe there really are ghosts out there. We
only understand a very small fraction of how this universe works. I know
theres lots of things that we are sure of today that in the future will seem
as silly as being sure that the Earth is flat.

See you on the other side of the Universe ! I'm going in my wormhole.

I have looked at most of the ghoasthunting equipment because
I have needs for searching for noise. Magnetic and electrostatic
interference plays hell with sensitive equipment.
Most of the ghost hunting I have seen on TV involves very
little use of any equipment that can identify things other than voice
or video and field strengths. There are some people however with some very good
equipment such as spectrum analyzer measuring magnetics
and electrostatics, and not just measuring field strength. Some
are also trying to measure time shifts.

Did I ever tell about the time I made a gravity detector ??
Out of 80's electronics mag. It worked !! I sware !!

http://amasci.com/freenrg/grav3.html

greg