Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

Default Tap mystery

This isn't really a problem, but it does intrigue me.

Our bathroom sink has a single mixer tap. it's one of those fancy (italian)
ones with a tilting lever control - left to right = hot to cold, down to up
= off to on.

It's working fine, but it does intrigue me.

If it's set more to cold than hot, then turning it on (lift lever) then turn
left (towards hot) usually results in the water flow becoming colder before
it gets hotter. I'd be inclined to think it's because hot and cold may be in
proximity in the pipe work, but that would make me understand why the cold
was hotter to start perhaps, but not getting colder when initially turned to
hot.

Perhaps it's haunted? ;-)

Paul

BTW the water (H&C) is under pressure from a pump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:29:30 GMT, "Paul Andrews"
wrote:

This isn't really a problem, but it does intrigue me.

Our bathroom sink has a single mixer tap. it's one of those fancy (italian)
ones with a tilting lever control - left to right = hot to cold, down to up
= off to on.

It's working fine, but it does intrigue me.

If it's set more to cold than hot, then turning it on (lift lever) then turn
left (towards hot) usually results in the water flow becoming colder before
it gets hotter. I'd be inclined to think it's because hot and cold may be in
proximity in the pipe work, but that would make me understand why the cold
was hotter to start perhaps, but not getting colder when initially turned to
hot.

Perhaps it's haunted? ;-)

Access the nearest compression joint and pump a few litres of Holy
Water through the contraption, that'll fix it.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

wrote:

[...]

LOL, never thought of that... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Mike Halmarack ... contains these words:

Access the nearest compression joint and pump a few litres of Holy
Water through the contraption, that'll fix it.

Get a Pope on a Rope?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:48:52 GMT, "Paul Andrews"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It's a faith thing. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:29:52 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Mike Halmarack ... contains these words:

Access the nearest compression joint and pump a few litres of Holy
Water through the contraption, that'll fix it.

Get a Pope on a Rope?

Aren't you thinking of Mussolini?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Mike Halmarack ... contains these words:

Get a Pope on a Rope?

Aren't you thinking of Mussolini?

I get on very well with the street lighting people round here!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:45:14 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Mike Halmarack ... contains these words:

Get a Pope on a Rope?

Aren't you thinking of Mussolini?

I get on very well with the street lighting people round here!

Always best I think, in case they single out your specific house.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Paul Andrews wrote:

If it's set more to cold than hot, then turning it on (lift lever) then turn
left (towards hot) usually results in the water flow becoming colder before
it gets hotter.

Twin impeller pump, cold is under more pressure (don't know why) and so
flows up the hot pipe. Turning to hot discharges the cold water before
the hot water arrives.

Maybe a dodgy pump, the hot side impeller has been partially shredded
by cavitation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Andrews wrote:

If it's set more to cold than hot, then turning it on (lift lever) then

turn
left (towards hot) usually results in the water flow becoming colder

before
it gets hotter.

Twin impeller pump, cold is under more pressure (don't know why) and so
flows up the hot pipe. Turning to hot discharges the cold water before
the hot water arrives.

Maybe, I suppose.

Maybe a dodgy pump, the hot side impeller has been partially shredded
by cavitation?

Well, the pump is about eight months old...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Paul Andrews wrote:

Maybe a dodgy pump, the hot side impeller has been partially shredded
by cavitation?

Well, the pump is about eight months old...

It was a flying guess, but no other suggestions have been offered as
yet. It shouldn't happen with 2 identical pumps turning at the same
speed. A reduction in the flow rate of one pump would usually cause
higher delivery pressure, so one pump couldn't push water against the
other. It suggests to me that the performance of the hot side pump has
deteriorated compared to that of the cold.

Cavitation (i.e., hot water boils in low pressure inlet; vapour bubbles
then implode on entering HP outlet) is a common fault on the hot side,
because of the high temperature. Excessive restrictions in the hot pump
inlet makes it more likely. It will take bits out of the impeller,
which are usually plastic & only rated to 65 degC anyway. See the
instruction manual for more info.
Cold feed to hot water much further up the cold water tank?
Hot pump drawing in air from the top of the HWS storage cylinder (no
Surrey, Warix, etc., flange on hot outlet) ?