Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Default Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decentbrightness

On Jun 11, 9:13*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Suggestions - these are newer, long lasting, well-reviewed products
that produce a good throw on 1 AA battery

Fenix L1T - various stores online - click switch for one hand
operation
Coast LL7736 V2 Tactical Power Chip - Fry's - click switch
Gerber Firecracker - REI - twist switch

I assume you need something in your pocket when walking/hiking at
night. If you're trying to read a house number from your car, just get
a 2D Maglite from Target/Wal-Mart.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 7:44*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Will it do a serious job of illuminating something from 100 feet away, maybe
on a rainy night?

As far as I know, none of the multi-LED flashlights will thow a
focussed beam. I have seen some with a single-LED rated at 1-watt
(common) or 3-watts (rare), and you can kind of focus those.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Suggestions - these are newer, long lasting, well-reviewed products
that produce a good throw on 1 AA battery

Fenix L1T - various stores online - click switch for one hand
operation

Agree on the Fenix. They are the absolute best flashlights I have ever
owned, period. They beat Surefires all to heck. I have sworn off both
rechargeable battery and CR123 battery based lights forever. AA or AAA
is the way to go for cost and convenience, if you use your light heavily.

I'm a firefighter, paramedic, and federal disaster responder, as well as
an avid backpacker, and I've tried A LOT of flashlights in my day, from
incredibly expensive to rather inexpensive. My life may depend on my light.

I bought a Fenix L1D - with the high end Cree LED. It is an amazingly
bright flashlight! 1xAA, six light levels, a fast strobe mode, a rather
lame (too slow) self operating SOS flash mode. I also bought the
diffuser wand, which makes it both a good area/reading light and a
traffic wand.

I also bought the L2D 2xAA body tube and holster only, since it uses the
exact same head and tail assemblies as the L1D.

Lastly, I bought the LOD same features as the L1D, but in 1xAAA size. I
got it the "natural" finish, which I find very pleasing.

Both will accept Lithium batteries, for long term storage purposes.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:27:18 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Nate Nagel:
I'm in the exact same situation; there's at least two HD's between me
and any Lowe's. And HD pretty much sucks.

Anybody know what happened to Home Depot?

Few years back I thought they were pretty good and the sales
people were knowledgeable and helpful.

Last few times I went to Home Depot, the sales people would sort
of look down or scurry in the other direction as soon as they
perceived that you might be looking for help.... and the
inventory (at least little nuts-and-bolts stuff) seems to have
gone downhill.

Too much competition? Bean counters running the show?
--
PeteCresswell

Not ENOUGH competition. Hence their lowering of standards to comply
with the edicts of the bean counters.

I spend probably $3k a month in Home Despot when Im not working near a
Lowe's

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:00:06 -0700 (PDT), y_p_w
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Nate Nagel:
I'm in the exact same situation; there's at least two HD's between me
and any Lowe's. And HD pretty much sucks.

Anybody know what happened to Home Depot?

Few years back I thought they were pretty good and the sales
people were knowledgeable and helpful.

Last few times I went to Home Depot, the sales people would sort
of look down or scurry in the other direction as soon as they
perceived that you might be looking for help.... and the
inventory (at least little nuts-and-bolts stuff) seems to have
gone downhill.

Too much competition? Bean counters running the show?

Who knows. The best help I ever got at Home Depot was at their store
in Santa Clara, California. When I asked the guy who helped me how he
knew so much, he indicated that he was moonlighting from his job at
Underwriters Labs, whose West Coast offices were in the same city.
Had an engineering degree, has a thorough understanding of the safety
of the electrical items he was selling, and only had the job because
he was paying for kids going to college. Of course that's not
typical, but I have noticed a steady drop in the quality of the help
from Home Depot employees.

Home Despot used to make it a point of hiring such people, or retired
electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc. They actually used to brag
about it in their early ads.

Then they started having problems hiring such people because of
internal politics, labor law issues and so forth.
Frankly...anyone with a strong background in the trades would not
allow themselves to be treated the way HD treated these people...so
they found themselves unable to hire these people. ACE Hardware and
so forth started picking up the cream of the crop in many areas.

Much the same way small manufactures in the US will no longer, for the
most part, have anything to do with Walmart.

Once the word got around that once you got into bed with Walmart..you
would at best be ****ed in the ass regularly, or lose your business to
them, or the bankers, most folks will NOT do direct business with them
anylonger

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

Just one of hundreds of such links

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 1:40*pm, Jeff McCann wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
[...]

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

You've picked the best tools for the job. Fenix lights are definitely
the best values I've seen anywhere - surprising to see such good
products designed and manufactured in China. I completely concur with
your warning to stick with AA/AAA batteries. The problem with 123As is
not just availability & cost, but quality & safety. BTW there is a
very informative post on Chinese flashlights vs. Chinese batteries:
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=42
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 1:01*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 12, 7:15*am, wrote: How reliable are they? I'd worry about the switch and the LEDs
crapping out. Good LEDs and machined aluminum are not cheap even in
China... I'd buy a tie for 10RMB in China, but not an LED flashlight.

Who knows? *None of mine (or the ones that I gave as stocking
stuffers) have failed yet. *Not very long, but no obvious infant
mortality. The illumination is uniform. *With fresh batteries, the
light is very bright. *As far as I know, they are all made in China
and imported. *The only advantage I know of getting it at a place like
REI is that they will give you a replacement if yours breaks, but for
the price difference, I can afford to be self-insured. *I have an
older brand-name LED flashlight (Coast), and it is not as bright and
some LEDs have failed. *And for 10 RMB, I would be and was willing to
take a chance.

You realize there is a huge gray market in China for LEDs which are
marginal or test rejects that reputable companies stay away from...
It's the same market dynamics for microprocessors, and for
semiconductors in general. Nothing is really thrown away in the trash,
except absolutely dead parts - if it wiggles, somebody will sell it.
What you're doing is basically doing the 100% burn-in screen on these
lower or downgrade binouts. Also, infant mortality is only a very
small part of the so-called reliability bathtub curve - you've seen
only a few beginning data points and you really don't know where the
"knee" of the plateau of this curve is (the LED manufacturer does -
they know exactly what their failure rate curve is based on an
extended, accelerated life test and they also know exactly what kind
of burn-in duration is required to prove out a sample size whereas you
don't...). It's really you get what you pay for, even in China.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Howdy,

wrote:

Then they started having problems hiring such people because of
internal politics, labor law issues and so forth.
Frankly...anyone with a strong background in the trades would not
allow themselves to be treated the way HD treated these people...so
they found themselves unable to hire these people. ACE Hardware and
so forth started picking up the cream of the crop in many areas.

This may be a geographical thing...

Here in S.E. New Hampshire, the HD staff folks are vastly
superior to the folks at ACE.

There are two ACE stores (were three until about a month
ago) within three miles of my home.

I am extremely fond of the people who own the stores, but
really dread doing business in either of the stores.

Each has perhaps a dozen staff folks only one of whom has a
clue about anything even remotely related to the products
they sell.

Sadly, around here, it's HD for me...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 1:29*pm, wrote:
[...]

They came with batteries, so you can test them on the spot to
guarantee that it is not DOA (actually, for tourist qunatities, the
sellers will demonstrate them for you). Given the markups for at
least two additional middlemen, plus transportation costs, I am
reasonably comfortable that the ones I saw are of the same quality as
the ones sold at Walgreens, Kragen, and Harbor Freight. By
inspection, it certainly seems so. I would not make a trip to China
just to buy some LED flashlights, but I see no good reason not to buy
some if I am already there. At about US$1 each, I consider them
disposable, not treasured heirlooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 2:31 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 12, 1:29 pm, wrote: You realize there is a huge gray market in China for LEDs which are
[...]

The primary problem is going to be the quality of construction. Most
of the better "white" LEDs seem to come from Nichia Corporation of
Japan. Even many of the cheapie ones sold in China. As long as the
connection is solid and the reflector is reasonable, the light should
be OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

"Kenneth" wrote in message

This may be a geographical thing...

Of course it is. Just like the weather and restaurants.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 10:13*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

The best I have found is one I got at K Mart it is called NEBO It has
about 7 or 8 leds and uses three aaa bateries 1st click turns on the
leds and the second one turns on the red laser spot and the third
click shuts it off. I do home inspections and it is very handy to
work with My first one is over a year old and I can't wear out the
bateries.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

wrote in message
On Jun 11, 10:13 am, wrote:
[...]

=========================

Can it illuminate house numbers from 100 feet away on a rainy night?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 1:02 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"y_p_w" wrote in message

On Jun 11, 7:13 am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

I use a Petzl Tikka in my hand. I occasionally use it on my head.
It's rated for up to 130 hours on AAA alkalines, but the manufacturer
says that rechargeable AAAs are acceptable. It's not going to be
terribly bright with maybe 1/3 of runtime left, but with rechargeables
you can charge it up before you need it. The brightness is
considerably higher with freshly charged batteries. It's not
ridiculously bright, but perfectly fine for getting around the house
without turning every light on or making myself noticeable on a late
night walk.

Another option would be an LED bicycle headlamp. Cateye pretty much
sets the standard for quality, although there might be other brands
that could serve you well. Some of the less bright ones are under
$30, and sometimes you can find ones for $12-20 on sale. Most of the
ones I see advertise anywhere from 30 to 240 hour runtimes depending
on settings. Some come with velcro straps which you could slip a
finger or two through.

He said "bright enough to read house numbers", which I suspect means from
maybe the street. Will those Petzl lights do that?

A Petzl could do that. Maybe not a Tikka after it's down to maybe 1/3
of its useful life. I could read house numbers from with maybe 2/3 of
the charge left on NiMH AAAs from 40 feet. Alkalines (higher voltage)
will even be brighter overall through the life of the batteries.
There are considerably brighter LED headlamps with lower run times,
but they tend to be pricey. I guess a premium can be charged when you
cater to hikers and cavers.

I just picked up a bicycle headlamp (Cateye HL-EL210) to use as a
handheld LED flashlight. It was plenty bright with four AA NiMH
batteries - in fact brighter than my Petzl. I didn't notice a whole
lot of difference when I used fresh alkalines, so it's likely
regulated. It's rated for 100 hours continuous and 200 hours blinking
on alkalines, with 5 LEDs in an array; the pattern looks like one
diffused light source. It's not rated for "water resistance" as with
other Cateye headlamps, and there's some sort of hole in the bottom.
I doubt water would kill it, and it could be dried out. The switch
was a single rubberized button; pressing cycles through flashing/
continous/off. I picked it up for $15, but it was 50% on sale at
Performance Bicycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 2:11*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 12, 7:44*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote: Will it do a serious job of illuminating something from 100 feet away, maybe
on a rainy night?

As far as I know, none of the multi-LED flashlights will thow a
focussed beam. *I have seen some with a single-LED rated at 1-watt
(common) or 3-watts (rare), and you can kind of focus those.

I have a 3 watt Luxeon, it's a Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme, cost
around $24. It's actually a re-branded
Nuwai X-3. Available at Wal-Mart, but they sell out extremely fast (at
least around here).

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

Specs:

• Ultra bright 3 watt Luxeon LED flashlight - up to 50x brighter than
standard LED's
• DC/DC regulated circuitry provides maximum light output throughout
the life of the battery
• Twist bottom for constant beam - press button for momentary light
• Adjustable beam
• Handy clip and wrist strap
• Aircraft grade aluminum
• Runs on 2 AA alkaline batteries (included)
• Water resistant

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 13, 11:13 am, Siskuwihane wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:11 pm, " wrote:

On Jun 12, 7:44 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote: Will it do a serious job of illuminating something from 100 feet away, maybe
on a rainy night?

As far as I know, none of the multi-LED flashlights will thow a
focussed beam. I have seen some with a single-LED rated at 1-watt
(common) or 3-watts (rare), and you can kind of focus those.

I have a 3 watt Luxeon, it's a Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme, cost
around $24. It's actually a re-branded
Nuwai X-3. Available at Wal-Mart, but they sell out extremely fast (at
least around here).

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

Noticed their review states that they had better runtime on NiMH.
Make sense to some degree. Medium-drain devices tend to be very
inefficient at using alkaline capacity. Alkalines tend to last longer
than NiMH when the drain is really low, like with a low-power LED.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:15:43 -0400, strabo
wrote:

[snip]

Walgreens has the ideal LED light.

- Machined aluminum
- Cylindrical
- 3 1/2" length
- 3 "AAA" batteries in tandem
- 9 white LEDs
- ON/OFF push switch
- Weather proof
- About $5.00

I got a bunch of them.

I have a couple of lights like that. They're very bright. One of them
is often what I reach for when I need a good flashlight.

For a penlight-type flashlight, I like the Streamlight Stylus (3 AAAA
cells). Great for detail work, medical uses etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 9:13*pm, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Say Hey!

Try the Cat Eye opti cube model HL-EL 130/135. Uses two (2) AA
batteries. It has three (3) super bright leds. Steady on or flashing
mode. Light is designed for biking.

5555 Yee-Haw !!
EL
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 13, 11:36*am, y_p_w wrote:
Noticed their review states that they had better runtime on NiMH.
Make sense to some degree. *Medium-drain devices tend to be very
inefficient at using alkaline capacity. *Alkalines tend to last longer
than NiMH when the drain is really low, like with a low-power LED.

I was told that NiMH cells had a higher self-discharge rate and that
alkaline cells were better if you were not constantly charging them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 16, 8:38 am, " wrote:
On Jun 13, 11:36 wrote: Noticed their review states that they had better runtime on NiMH.
Make sense to some degree. Medium-drain devices tend to be very
inefficient at using alkaline capacity. Alkalines tend to last longer
than NiMH when the drain is really low, like with a low-power LED.

I was told that NiMH cells had a higher self-discharge rate and that
alkaline cells were better if you were not constantly charging them.

True to a degree. There's approximately a 1-2% loss of capacity daily
with typical NiMH batteries; it's actually a logarithmic loss.
However - I find advantages compared to alkaline. There's no
appreciable self-discharge loss if you're maybe taking a light on a
1-2 week camping or backpacking trip. I've left NiMH batteries in my
Petzl headlamp for four months, and the light output was just fine.
You can "top off" NiMH batteries at any time (gets you to a point
where you know that an LED lamp is good for a while), while with
alkalines you might not know exactly how much energy is left (short of
measuring each cell). I've also found alkalines left in too long have
leaked (one got fused in a Mini Mag-Lite I owned). With an LED lamp
with a rated life of 80+ hours on alkalines, I've never had one run
out on NiMH batteries.

I went on a cave tour last year. They had a bunch of Mag-Lites
available. It was someone interesting how they kept on digging for
ones where the batteries hadn't expired or were dim.

There are also the newer "hybrid" NiMH batteries. They trade off a
little bit of theoretical capacity for low self-discharge (about 15%
per year). This is fine for someone who will at least recharge it
every 3-4 months. Even alkalines have a small amount of self-
discharge.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

wrote:

[snip]

Walgreens has the ideal LED light.

- Machined aluminum
- Cylindrical
- 3 1/2" length
- 3 "AAA" batteries in tandem
- 9 white LEDs
- ON/OFF push switch
- Weather proof
- About $5.00

I got a bunch of them.

I have a couple of lights like that. They're very bright. One of them
is often what I reach for when I need a good flashlight.

For a penlight-type flashlight, I like the Streamlight Stylus (3 AAAA
cells). Great for detail work, medical uses etc.

I initially bought one and tested it for month and then bought nine
more as replacements for those kept in the truck and cars.

I've had several in everyday use for about a year. I've tossed
them around and run the batteries low without mishap. They're solid
enough. They compare favorably to similar styles in the $20-$50
range.

I found one that had a faulty switch due to some material inside that
caused it to be rough and intermittent. I took the opportunity to
remove the switch and replace it with another type. I also improved the
lanyards, modified plastic bottle caps to act as extensions so
the lights can sit upright and added pocket clips.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 17, 3:27 am, DaveT wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:38:39 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 13, 11:36 wrote:
Noticed their review states that they had better runtime on NiMH. Make
sense to some degree. Medium-drain devices tend to be very inefficient
at using alkaline capacity. Alkalines tend to last longer than NiMH
when the drain is really low, like with a low-power LED.

I was told that NiMH cells had a higher self-discharge rate and that
alkaline cells were better if you were not constantly charging them.

Use the (newish) NiMH batteries that come ready charged. I use Uniross
Hybrio, they do not self discharge like the normal ones, hold a charge a
heck of lot longer. They are also a bit cheaper If you do get some do
not bother to recharge any backup batteries when have to do a swap wait a
while that also helps.

I mentioned Sanyo Eneloop, although they resell their low self-
discharge batteries to other companies to re-brand.

Self-discharge is also heavily dependent on temperature, even with
alkalines. I've also had bad results with alkalines stored in hot
conditions. If they don't lose a good chunk of their capacity from
self-discharge, then they'll leak like crazy. The 85% claim is
probably at about 70 deg F. If you keep them warmer (imagine taking
your camera on summer camping trip), I think you'll find that self-
discharge is considerably faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:25:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I don't know of any such. The closest I can find, is a Mini Mag 2 AA light,
with the Nite Ize conversion. Might not be good for house numbers, but you

I picked up one of the AA Mini Maglites with a 3 Watt LED... It's as
bright as the big boys (e.g. D-cell models with the 3W conversion).
Obviously the batteries won't last as long...

My mini mag, I got the Opalec conversion when they first came out. 3 LED,
and not very bright. Later got the Teralux conversion. Turns out the new

Haven't seen a conversion for my Mini Mags... I bought one with the
3W LED installed.

Retief
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

The Mag provided aa cell lights are too long to fit in my pants pocket.

As to conversions, google "Nite Ize" or "teralux" for more information. the
Nite Ize module is $4.92 at Walmart, and is essentially as bright as the
Teralux.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I don't know of any such. The closest I can find, is a Mini Mag 2 AA light,
with the Nite Ize conversion. Might not be good for house numbers, but you

I picked up one of the AA Mini Maglites with a 3 Watt LED... It's as
bright as the big boys (e.g. D-cell models with the 3W conversion).
Obviously the batteries won't last as long...

My mini mag, I got the Opalec conversion when they first came out. 3 LED,
and not very bright. Later got the Teralux conversion. Turns out the new

Haven't seen a conversion for my Mini Mags... I bought one with the
3W LED installed.

Retief

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:52:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The Mag provided aa cell lights are too long to fit in my pants pocket.

BTW, the 3W LED is only a tiny bit longer...

As to conversions, google "Nite Ize" or "teralux" for more information. the
Nite Ize module is $4.92 at Walmart, and is essentially as bright as the
Teralux.

Thanks for the pointer, Stormin'... The Teralux looks very
interesting...

Retief
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Surefire makes probably the best flashlights you'll ever find, especially
for illuminating things at great distances. I have one of these and despite
its small size, it VERY thoroughly illuminates things 200 feet away.

I agree. That ends the discussion right there.

Yes, they're expensive, but anything worthwhile is.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

I had a half watt light from Cabelas, which was "a little bit longer" and
doesn't fit in my pants pocket.

The teralux conversion is really great stuff. Pricey. But I paid $28 for an
Opalec when they came out. The Teralux really outshines (sorry) the Opalec.
The new Nite Ize also really screams.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

The Mag provided aa cell lights are too long to fit in my pants pocket.

BTW, the 3W LED is only a tiny bit longer...

As to conversions, google "Nite Ize" or "teralux" for more information. the
Nite Ize module is $4.92 at Walmart, and is essentially as bright as the
Teralux.

Thanks for the pointer, Stormin'... The Teralux looks very
interesting...

Retief

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 7:13*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Here is one I really like. It has a 25 year guarantee. 9voltlight.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

DaveT wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:13:58 -0700, t_gibson48 wrote:

I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Google 'Fenix leds' if they are available in your area. Their 2-AA Cree
LED puts a 4 cell Maglight to shame on full power. For a basic Led have a
look at the single AA Gerber Ultra, still has battery saving electronics
in it (makes batteries last longer).

I'll second that. The Fenix L2D can't be beat:
https://www.fenix-store.com/

You might enjoy the Candlepower Forums, where they take flashlights
seriously:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

I've had a Teralux conversion in my mini mag for a couple years. I'm pleased
as can be with it. The light is a bit blue color, but that's livable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus