Em

Default Poss OT. Recommendation for smallish pocket torch/flashlight ?

Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably
powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

Em.

Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:38:41 +0100, "Em" wrote:

| Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.
|
| I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably
| powered by a couple of AA cells.
| I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
| Any recommendations or thoughts?

Love our three LED torches, which I have had since they cost the earth,
they have four LEDs each and run on three AA rechargeable's They are great
for reading in bed, wandering around the house at night etc.
They do *not* provide a good beam, for that I have a focusable Maglight 4D.

My other one is a Lidl head torch three LEDs running on three AAAs for
crawling around under the house it is great. If you want one you will
have to wait till they come on offer again. I will be getting another two
one for the house, one for the car and one for the caravan. It runs on
alkalines, because they have a longer shelf life.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
T i m

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:38:41 +0100, "Em" wrote:

Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably
powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Depends on what you want to use it for Em?

If you want something 'hands free' that gives a bright local and long
lasting light then the Petzl's Zipka ( or Zipka plus) take some
beating (IMHO)

About the size of a chikens egg, run for ages on 3 AAA's and with a
recoiling 'band' can be worn as a head-lamp or strapped round anything
handy to point the light in the right direction.

Worn on the head they light the ground sufficiently when walking to
save you walking down a hole etc but they don't have a real 'beam' as
such.

Not 'cheap' but we wouldn't be without them when camping etc .. ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/6prfv

All the best ..

T i m
mike ring

"Em" wrote in :

Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag,
presumably powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.

Yes, try one you'll like it.

I got some useful keyring lights from Quick and Dirty, and a 2LED 3cell
headlight form Maplin which has changed my life.

It's true they don't do a good beam, but OTOH, my headlight provides a good
beam to see the ground clearly 3-6 feet ahead in pitch darkness.

I don't know what it would do to your hairdo, though

mike
Rod

"Em" wrote in :

Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag,
presumably powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Yep - I have got a small (1 AA cell only) ARC torch. Unfortunately - the
makers went bust as I was buying it, so they are no longer available.
Unlike many of the cheaper lamps, it has some circuitry that maintains
voltage (and hence brightness) as long as possible. When the cell has
discharged it switches to a very much less bright mode. The battery life of
some LED torches sounds amazing but by the time they have been used for a
fraction of that time they are so dim as not to be very useful.

At the same time, I bought a tiny LED keyring lamp (Inova Microlight Solid
White LED) for partner - and that is permanently in her handbag.
Surprisingly bright and usable. Plenty for unlocking the back door!

Both obtained from http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk/ who have many LED
and other torches at what seemed competitive prices.

Many LED torches run on CR123 Lithium cells. That's fine but it is much
less likely for you to find one at a local garage or Spar shop than good
old AA cells. If getting such a torch, make sure that you a) locate CR123s
at a decent price and b) keep a spare available.

If you want enough info. to keep you going until Christams, try he
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

--
Rod

Rod

Rod wrote in
. 4:

Yep - I have got a small (1 AA cell only) ARC torch. Unfortunately -
the makers went bust as I was buying it, so they are no longer
available.

Seems I spoke too soon! Reincarnation:

http://arcflashlight.com/index.html

The site does have some potentially usegul information for anyone
considering an LED torch. My AA model, which is still not available, is
excellent. Though they are all expensive. I have not attempted to locate a
UK supplier - there may well be none.

--
Rod
mrcheerful

"Em" wrote in message
Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably
powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

Em.

If you want a small torch with a staggeringly bright beam that can
illuminate a very broad area at once and with good battery life, then buy a
Luxeon (luxeon is the important bit, it is the dogs bits in brightness) 3
watt LED torch off ebay , they usually come from china with a very low price
and a highish shipping charge, mine was a bout 10 pounds all in, it is
undoubtedly the best torch I have ever had, and I am a torch junky!

mrcheerful

John Blessing

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
.uk...

"Em" wrote in message
Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag,
presumably
powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

The petzl range are v. good. Compact size, bright and the batteries last for
ages. The beam is quite wide, which I find better than the spotlight often
produced by the maglite type of torch. You can get them in most camping
shops, not cheap though.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.

Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
a Lidl head torch three LEDs running on three AAAs [ ... ] If you
wantone you will have to wait till they come on offer again.

That's right now - I bought one yesterday, a 3-LED bright white
light with batteries supplied, and an elastic cradle to fit it
to a helmet (or head) - for £3.99.
P.R.Brady

Em wrote:
Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably
powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

Em.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/
head torches are great.
Phil

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:50:23 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| a Lidl head torch three LEDs running on three AAAs [ ... ] If you
| wantone you will have to wait till they come on offer again.
|
| That's right now - I bought one yesterday, a 3-LED bright white
| light with batteries supplied, and an elastic cradle to fit it
| to a helmet (or head) - for £3.99.

They were at our Lidl last week, but have now gone :-(
Lidl swap last weeks/months offers between stores.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.
ben

Em wrote:
Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag,
presumably powered by a couple of AA cells.
I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good.
Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

Em.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...34558&doy=14m9

Laurence

In article ,
Em wrote:

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or
handbag, presumably powered by a couple of AA cells. I have
heard that some LED torches are pretty good. Any
recommendations or thoughts?

Not exactly small, although it's comfortable in my pocket, is a
"Gelert 3-in-1 Miniature Hanytorch". It runs on four AAA
batteries and has a flattened oval cross section.

Very crude ASCII art follows.

(O) End view

Focussable bulb
\/
LED |-|----|-| LED
| | | |
|--------|
Switch (| |
|\ |
| | |
| | |
Tube | | |
Light | | |
| | |
| | |
|/ |
| ____|
|---|----| Battery cover

There is one LED in each of the cresent moon shapes. The bulb is
a tiny thing, like a Maglight Solitair bulb, and the tube is
some kind of flourescent arrangement. You can see the circuitry
through the case as it's transparent. They claim one set of
batteries will provide 30 hours use on the LED's, 3 on the bulb
and 4 using the tube.

The LEDs are good and white, the bulb is powerful enough for
fairly serious use, but the tube is a bit weak and bluish in
colour.

The biggest drawback is that there's only one switch which
cycles between the different lighting systems.

Laurence

--
.... Beware of low flying butterflies.

/ \|__)|__)|__||__ | ||__ And isn't your life extremely flat
\__/| \| | ||__ |__| __| with nothing whatever to grumble at.

....Life's a RISC... lbATorpheusmailDOTcoDOTuk