Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives
[email protected] bradschaum@prontomail.com is offline

Default Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decentbrightness

On Jun 12, 1:40*pm, Jeff McCann wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Suggestions - these are newer, long lasting, well-reviewed products
that produce a good throw on 1 AA battery

Fenix L1T - various stores online - click switch for one hand
operation

Agree on the Fenix. They are the absolute best flashlights I have ever
owned, period. *They beat Surefires all to heck. *I have sworn off both
rechargeable battery and CR123 battery based lights forever. AA or AAA
is the way to go for cost and convenience, if you use your light heavily.

I'm a firefighter, paramedic, and federal disaster responder, as well as
an avid backpacker, and I've tried A LOT of flashlights in my day, from
incredibly expensive to rather inexpensive. *My life may depend on my light.

I bought a Fenix L1D - with the high end Cree LED. *It is an amazingly
bright flashlight! *1xAA, six light levels, a fast strobe mode, a rather
lame (too slow) self operating SOS flash mode. *I also bought the
diffuser wand, which makes it both a good area/reading light and a
traffic wand.

I also bought the L2D 2xAA body tube and holster only, since it uses the
exact same head and tail assemblies as the L1D.

Lastly, I bought the LOD same features as the L1D, but in 1xAAA size. *I
got it the "natural" finish, which I find very pleasing.

Both will accept Lithium batteries, for long term storage purposes.

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

You've picked the best tools for the job. Fenix lights are definitely
the best values I've seen anywhere - surprising to see such good
products designed and manufactured in China. I completely concur with
your warning to stick with AA/AAA batteries. The problem with 123As is
not just availability & cost, but quality & safety. BTW there is a
very informative post on Chinese flashlights vs. Chinese batteries:
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=42