Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Default Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decent brightness

I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:13:58 -0700, t_gibson48 wrote:

I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Google 'Fenix leds' if they are available in your area. Their 2-AA Cree
LED puts a 4 cell Maglight to shame on full power. For a basic Led have a
look at the single AA Gerber Ultra, still has battery saving electronics
in it (makes batteries last longer).

--
Dave
Please note, many will not see your posts if you are posting from Google.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

wrote in message
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Surefire makes probably the best flashlights you'll ever find, especially
for illuminating things at great distances. I have one of these and despite
its small size, it VERY thoroughly illuminates things 200 feet away.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../878/sesent/00

The company also makes a series of LED lights, but I haven't tried them.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...br/6/sesent/00

As far as batteries, the company sells boxes of lithium batteries at a great
price. I wouldn't base my decision on how easy it is to find batteries.
Order a bunch when you buy the flashlight. They have a 10 year shelf life.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

I was recommending the standard Dorcy LED lamp sold at Sears and Walmart for
$20.
The beam is not real tight, but its a great lamp, maybe too fat, but fits
in pocket just fine. They also have a longer slim focusable light. I have not
used that one.
The AAA $20 Dorcy lights bright for about 3 hours, but will continue to light
for a couple days
getting dimmer. Its also a nice warm white. The switch is good. On the new one
I just bought
I fiddled with the end caps to get a good contact. With most of my flashlights
I always try lubing the parts,
batteries and contact whenever I can get to them. I like CRC 2-26.

it seems impossible to get a view of my flashlight. Its the one with the switch on the rear. It
seems Dorcy has so many versions, but it should be at the store.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 9:13*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

Look up "Fenix L1T" if you want 1AA, or "Fenix E01" if you prefer
1AAA. I use both on a daily basis, and have not had any issues. You
can keep the Fenix L1T on a high mode - very bright - for at least a
couple hours, but you can also switch it at any time to a low mode and
it'll last at least 12 hours. Very tough little performer.
BTW I've also tried Inova and Coast, but I like Fenix best.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 9:39*am, DaveT wrote:
[...]

They are automatically Blocked!- Hide quoted text -

I haven't seen Fenix sold anywhere in stores... I've always had to
order them online - there are multiple sources, the most popular site
being the Felix Store. I have the Gerber Ultra also.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

I got a couple of these upon recommendation from glenn reynolds at
instapundit.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-H...ashlight/dp/B0
00LIQQ7M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1213196969&sr=8-2

I haven't tried its longevity, but it seems to put out a substantial light.

I have had two similar priced units of different colors. They are junk, and will flicker
after a while driving you nuts, until you throw it away.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I was looking at some reviews of Dorcy's. The old one I had I thought had a power
supply built in, but one review of that model says its direct drive. My new Dorcy
is definately different. The top gets warm unlike the first after a few minuites.
Perhaps better heat sinking and perhaps a converter ??!!

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

GregS wrote:
In article , wrote:
[...]

The little Dorcy I carry on my keychain is plenty bright (uses a DC/DC
converter to keep the voltage up) and uses one AAA which I last replaced
sometime last October. Stated runtime is six hours. I don't use it
much; but it would be fine for the OP's stated purpose, and cost only
about $7. It's aluminum and quite sturdy. For pocket use, one might
select a unit that is a bit more streamlined....

Dorcy has an extensive line for a company I never heard of five years ago.

The one I have:
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414224
Their entire line:
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx
jak
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

In article , jakdedert wrote:
GregS wrote:
In article

,
wrote:
[...]

I have heard about them for ages. They had many cheap
flashlights over the years. I have some Dorcy batteries.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 11:21*am, jakdedert wrote:
GregS wrote:
In article , wrote:
[...]

jak- Hide quoted text -

Dorcy has been around 35 yrs:

http://www.rickenbacker.org/realestate/success.asp

Dorcy Shines at Rickenbacker

"The leader in quality flashlight products," Dorcy International is
the nation's fastest growing flashlight company. For 35 years, the
company has been manufacturing and distributing a wide-range of
lighting products, including lanterns, spotlights, head lamp lanterns
and a multitude of flashlights, from aluminum to rubber, and all-
purpose to waterproof.

Over the past seven years, Dorcy has continually increased its sales
and market share in the United States, while expanding its staff and
warehousing and assembly/manufacturing space at Rickenbacker
International Airport. The company imports much of its materials and
merchandise, and benefits greatly by being located in Foreign-Trade
Zone (FTZ) No.138 at Rickenbacker.

In fact, Dorcy attributes much of its success to its location in FTZ
138. Like many other companies at Rickenbacker, Dorcy is able to
defer, reduce and at times even eliminate duties on overseas cargo,
efforts which have enabled the company to enjoy double-digit sales
growth over the past several years.

"Because our product line comes in with high import duty, we chose the
location at Rickenbacker so we could be included in the Foreign-Trade
Zone," said Ted Davis, President of Dorcy. "We have realized the
benefits we thought we would in terms of duty deferral and the
expansion of our export business".

Dorcy has not only increased its sales growth at Rickenbacker, but the
company has also increased its space at the airport. According to
Davis, Dorcy has more than doubled its size since relocating to
Rickenbacker, including expanding its current facility with a
warehouse addition and its usage of an outside storage area in the
zone.

"The three reasons we came to Rickenbacker were tax savings, duty
deferral and export expansion, and we have been able to achieve all
three,” Davis said.

At its Rickenbacker location, Dorcy receives assembled flashlights
that have been shipped from China to the West Coast. In Columbus,
Dorcy packages the flashlights with batteries and ships them to such
customers as Sears, K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

The FTZ location has proven to be quite a money-saving asset for
Dorcy. Prior to its move from Downtown Columbus, Dorcy had to pay 12.5
percent duty on flashlight parts as soon as they arrived from the West
Coast. Now, the company is able to postpone the duty payments until
the flashlights arrive at Rickenbacker and are packaged and shipped.
Therefore, payments are deferred as long as it takes to move the
goods, which can take up to 90 days or longer.

Another business boost that Dorcy has experienced since relocating to
Rickenbacker is the ability to re-export goods from an FTZ, which
means it pays no duty on the merchandise. Dorcy's exports to
Argentina, Canada, and the United Kingdom make up 15 percent of
company sales.

According to Davis, Dorcy's future at Rickenbacker will include a
focus on continued growth of sales and market share in the United
States. The company also anticipates further development of its export
business.

"Rickenbacker has been a very fruitful location for our business. We
have achieved everything we had hoped to achieve by moving here,"
Davis said. "We also have virtually no personnel turnover at this
location, and that is in part because Dorcy associates find our
facility at Rickenbacker to be a very convenient and pleasant place to
work. We are looking forward to a continued expansion of our business
and success here at Rickenbacker.”

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives
KLS KLS is offline

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:53:02 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
I got a couple of these upon recommendation from glenn reynolds at
instapundit.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-H...ashlight/dp/B0
00LIQQ7M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1213196969&sr=8-2

I haven't tried its longevity, but it seems to put out a substantial light.

I have had two similar priced units of different colors. They are junk, and will flicker
after a while driving you nuts, until you throw it away.

Just like Glenn Reynolds, but no one has thrown him away yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 11, 10:13*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=175576

the Lowe's 3W 2C cell flashlight is the best I've ever owned, period.
And it's about $30. Kicks butt over my old 3D cell LED Mag-Lite.
Painfully bright - do not look into it!

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 7:13 am, wrote:
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

- Uses AA or AAA batteries (easy to find, not lithium)

- Has decent brightness (enough to read a house number)

- Lasts longer than 2 hours

- Reliable switch

- Should be able to withstand sweaty hand or occasional water splash

The closest thing I've seen is an Inova at Target, but the light is a
bit dim and the runtime is only 2 hours.

Thanks in advance -

I use a Petzl Tikka in my hand. I occasionally use it on my head.
It's rated for up to 130 hours on AAA alkalines, but the manufacturer
says that rechargeable AAAs are acceptable. It's not going to be
terribly bright with maybe 1/3 of runtime left, but with rechargeables
you can charge it up before you need it. The brightness is
considerably higher with freshly charged batteries. It's not
ridiculously bright, but perfectly fine for getting around the house
without turning every light on or making myself noticeable on a late
night walk.

Another option would be an LED bicycle headlamp. Cateye pretty much
sets the standard for quality, although there might be other brands
that could serve you well. Some of the less bright ones are under
$30, and sometimes you can find ones for $12-20 on sale. Most of the
ones I see advertise anywhere from 30 to 240 hour runtimes depending
on settings. Some come with velcro straps which you could slip a
finger or two through.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

"y_p_w" wrote in message
On Jun 11, 7:13 am, wrote:
[...]

He said "bright enough to read house numbers", which I suspect means from
maybe the street. Will those Petzl lights do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

GregS wrote:
In article , "HeyBub"
[...]

The on-off switch is a push-button. Are you sure you're not trying to turn
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Per N8N:
the Lowe's 3W 2C cell flashlight is the best I've ever owned, period.
And it's about $30. Kicks butt

I bought one for use on my bike.

Couple weeks later, I bought a half-dozen more tb used as gifts.

That's one *Brave* little light.
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per N8N:

the Lowe's 3W 2C cell flashlight is the best I've ever owned, period.
And it's about $30. Kicks butt

I bought one for use on my bike.

Couple weeks later, I bought a half-dozen more tb used as gifts.

That's one *Brave* little light.

yeah, I think you might have actually contributed to the thread that
turned me on to it. I wouldn't have found it by myself as I don't have
a Lowe's real handy, but it was worth the trip. I also got the
replacement collimator from dealextreme to try to make it more suitable
for bike use, but haven't had a chance to ride after dark since it
showed up since every day I've had a free evening it's either been
raining torrentially, over 90 degrees, or both. I did ride a little
after dark with it as it was "out of the box" and it flat out rocks.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Nate Nagel wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per N8N:

the Lowe's 3W 2C cell flashlight is the best I've ever owned, period.
And it's about $30. Kicks butt

I bought one for use on my bike.

Couple weeks later, I bought a half-dozen more tb used as gifts.

That's one *Brave* little light.

yeah, I think you might have actually contributed to the thread that
turned me on to it. I wouldn't have found it by myself as I don't have
a Lowe's real handy, but it was worth the trip. I also got the
replacement collimator from dealextreme to try to make it more suitable
for bike use, but haven't had a chance to ride after dark since it
showed up since every day I've had a free evening it's either been
raining torrentially, over 90 degrees, or both. I did ride a little
after dark with it as it was "out of the box" and it flat out rocks.

The closest Lowe's to home is a good 30 miles away from where I live.
Ticks me off too. We've got tons of Home Depot stores, but Lowe's
happens to carry the best 13W compact fluorescents (Sylvania brand)
I've ever seen. The fire up in less than half a second at near 100%
warmed up brightness immediately. And they were only $2 for a 2/pack
with a little incentive from our local power company (not a rebate
BTW). I'm just a little bit peeved that I only bought two boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

y_p_w wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per N8N:

[...]

I'm in the exact same situation; there's at least two HD's between me
and any Lowe's. And HD pretty much sucks.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Per Nate Nagel:
I'm in the exact same situation; there's at least two HD's between me
and any Lowe's. And HD pretty much sucks.

Anybody know what happened to Home Depot?

Few years back I thought they were pretty good and the sales
people were knowledgeable and helpful.

Last few times I went to Home Depot, the sales people would sort
of look down or scurry in the other direction as soon as they
perceived that you might be looking for help.... and the
inventory (at least little nuts-and-bolts stuff) seems to have
gone downhill.

Too much competition? Bean counters running the show?
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"y_p_w" wrote in message
On Jun 11, 7:13 am, wrote:
[...]

You know, that didn't register with me. The Dorcy model I recommended
wouldn't hack it; but possibly some of the Luxeon-equipped models in
their lineup would. They have several with 45 lumens up to 140 lumens
output.

This one; 2 AA's, 80 lumen rating, listed as being able to project 100'
would probably fit the bill. No word on runtime....
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414216

jak
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I don't know of any such. The closest I can find, is a Mini Mag 2 AA light,
with the Nite Ize conversion. Might not be good for house numbers, but you
can always keep a 3D or 4D Mag Light in the car with you.

My mini mag, I got the Opalec conversion when they first came out. 3 LED,
and not very bright. Later got the Teralux conversion. Turns out the new
Nite Ize ($4.97 Walmart) is about as bright as my $30 Teralux. I think the
run time is six hours, on alkaline AA cells.

I got the $5 WallyMart conversion as well...damn bright, considering
that similar conversions are selling for upwards of $20. I'd like to
get a Luxeon for it, but I think I'll buy the led and build my own.

jak

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

wrote in message
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight to carry with me:

- Short and thin enough to fit in my pocket (around 4" length)

Check out
http://www.galls.com/category2.html?...talog&cat=2830 for
police flashlights.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Ask your questions on www.candlepowerforums.com, or search the archives.
There is more good info there than anywhere else.
Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

Anybody know what happened to Home Depot?
Few years back I thought they were pretty good and the sales
people were knowledgeable and helpful.
Last few times I went to Home Depot, the sales people would sort
of look down or scurry in the other direction as soon as they
perceived that you might be looking for help.... and the
inventory (at least little nuts-and-bolts stuff) seems to have
gone downhill.
Too much competition? Bean counters running the show?

I haven't noticed any major changes at HD, but they did what Circuit City
did -- fire their semi-well-paid employees and replace them with lower-paid
employees. Circuit City service used to be mediocre, with spots of
brilliance (when I bought an Olympus E-500 in 2006, I got a woman who
actually knew what she was talking about), but CC is now downright lousy.

When Circuit City announced about a year ago what they were going to do
(they were "different" only in publicly announcing what other companies had
done in private), there was a great outcry, and I promised myself I'd never
shop there again. But once in a while they have something I want I can't get
elsewhere, or costs a lot more elsewhere. I just bought a terrific GE phone
system, and when I had problems with a battery -- that Thomson refused to do
anything about unless I returned the entire product -- the assistant manager
helped me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 11, 9:15*pm, strabo wrote:
Walgreens has the ideal LED light.

- Machined aluminum
- Cylindrical
- 3 1/2" length
- 3 "AAA" batteries in tandem
- 9 white LEDs
- ON/OFF push switch
- Weather proof
- About $5.00

I got a bunch of them.

I also got a bunch of them in October 2007, but at the SIlk Road
Market in Beijing. The nominal asking price was 10 RMB each,
batteries included, but when I got a bunch, I was able to get it down
to 8 RMB (about US$1.10) without too much haggling. I have seen them
on sale at Kragens Auto Parts and at Harbor Freight for about $3.00.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 9:01*am, " wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:15*pm, strabo wrote: Walgreens has the ideal LED light.

- Machined aluminum
- Cylindrical
- 3 1/2" length
- 3 "AAA" batteries in tandem
- 9 white LEDs
- ON/OFF push switch
- Weather proof
- About $5.00

I got a bunch of them.

I also got a bunch of them in October 2007, but at the SIlk Road
Market in Beijing. *The nominal asking price was 10 RMB each,
batteries included, but when I got a bunch, I was able to get it down
to 8 RMB (about US$1.10) without too much haggling. *I have seen them
on sale at Kragens Auto Parts and at Harbor Freight for about $3.00.

How reliable are they? I'd worry about the switch and the LEDs
crapping out. Good LEDs and machined aluminum are not cheap even in
China... I'd buy a tie for 10RMB in China, but not an LED flashlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

The best I've seen and most desirable is one I got through a Visa
Card promotion. It is flat 3/4 inch thick, 6 1/2 inches long and 1
1/2 inches wide.. Has 11 LED lites. Triple switch, 3, 7 and 11 lite.
Throws a brite beam and uses 3 AA Batts. Very long lasting. I used one
daily for 16 months before having to replace Batteries. The problem is
that It in getting it as a promotion thing it has no name or mfg
ident. It just says "Made in China".. Has anyone else got one of
these? The last price I gave was $12.97. Believe me it is a great
light and handy, you can put in shirt pocket and when you lay it down
it doesn't roll around. Get one if you see it. You'll be glad you did.
Jack
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

"Jack" wrote in message
The best I've seen and most desirable is one I got through a Visa
Card promotion. It is flat 3/4 inch thick, 6 1/2 inches long and 1
1/2 inches wide.. Has 11 LED lites. Triple switch, 3, 7 and 11 lite.
Throws a brite beam and uses 3 AA Batts. Very long lasting. I used one
daily for 16 months before having to replace Batteries. The problem is
that It in getting it as a promotion thing it has no name or mfg
ident. It just says "Made in China".. Has anyone else got one of
these? The last price I gave was $12.97. Believe me it is a great
light and handy, you can put in shirt pocket and when you lay it down
it doesn't roll around. Get one if you see it. You'll be glad you did.
Jack

Will it do a serious job of illuminating something from 100 feet away, maybe
on a rainy night?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:15:43 -0400, strabo
wrote:

[snip]

Walgreens has the ideal LED light.

- Machined aluminum
- Cylindrical
- 3 1/2" length
- 3 "AAA" batteries in tandem
- 9 white LEDs
- ON/OFF push switch
- Weather proof
- About $5.00

I got a bunch of them.

I have a couple of lights like that. They're very bright. One of them
is often what I reach for when I need a good flashlight.

[spam snipped]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Nate Nagel:
I'm in the exact same situation; there's at least two HD's between me
and any Lowe's. And HD pretty much sucks.

Anybody know what happened to Home Depot?

Few years back I thought they were pretty good and the sales
people were knowledgeable and helpful.

Last few times I went to Home Depot, the sales people would sort
of look down or scurry in the other direction as soon as they
perceived that you might be looking for help.... and the
inventory (at least little nuts-and-bolts stuff) seems to have
gone downhill.

Too much competition? Bean counters running the show?

Who knows. The best help I ever got at Home Depot was at their store
in Santa Clara, California. When I asked the guy who helped me how he
knew so much, he indicated that he was moonlighting from his job at
Underwriters Labs, whose West Coast offices were in the same city.
Had an engineering degree, has a thorough understanding of the safety
of the electrical items he was selling, and only had the job because
he was paying for kids going to college. Of course that's not
typical, but I have noticed a steady drop in the quality of the help
from Home Depot employees.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives

On Jun 12, 7:15*am, wrote:
How reliable are they? I'd worry about the switch and the LEDs
crapping out. Good LEDs and machined aluminum are not cheap even in
China... I'd buy a tie for 10RMB in China, but not an LED flashlight.

Who knows? None of mine (or the ones that I gave as stocking
stuffers) have failed yet. Not very long, but no obvious infant
mortality. The illumination is uniform. With fresh batteries, the
light is very bright. As far as I know, they are all made in China
and imported. The only advantage I know of getting it at a place like
REI is that they will give you a replacement if yours breaks, but for
the price difference, I can afford to be self-insured. I have an
older brand-name LED flashlight (Coast), and it is not as bright and
some LEDs have failed. And for 10 RMB, I would be and was willing to
take a chance.