Posted to rec.woodworking

Default This pocket hole jig any good?

I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

For the price it looks great. Kreg is a good machine, but rather pricey.
I would be afraid of 45 deg splitting the wood, though I have never tried
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a jig similiar to that one and it was a good starter setup.
Eventually, the drill bit ate away the black inserts shown on the jig (where
the drill bit is inserted) and that led to holes that ran off. For
occsional use though, it would work fine. I replaced mine with a Kreg.
Although more $$, the inserts are still true after a couple years
se. --dave

"Bewildered" wrote in message

"sailor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

For the price it looks great. Kreg is a good machine, but rather pricey.
I would be afraid of 45 deg splitting the wood, though I have never tried
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:

I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

Although it will take materials up to 2" thick it does not appear that
there is any adjustment to have the drilled holes to be centered in the
end (thickness) of the board.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

Many Busy Bee tools are good value. This is not one of them. The
guide-barrels elongate after the first try on a piece of oak. Spend the
few extra dollars on the Kreg and you'll use it more often as well.

Maybe it's okay on pine or balsa. Poplar is already pushing it.

When buying the Kreg, you're not just buying better guides, but better
drill bits as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the Kreg is the way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the Kreg is the way to go.

I haven't used this Busy Bee, but I have a Kreg Rocket setup I got
lightly used on ebay for $40. It's worked great, and it is adjustable
for various stock thicknesses. I'd recommend one. I've seen the Kreg
screws on sale both at Amazon and Woodcraft - you should be able to get
a box of 100 for under $4. (I also got a box of 1000 of the 1.5"ers
from Amazon for just under $30).
Just so you're aware - if you're using a pocket hole near the end of a
hard board like oak, you'll probably need a pilot hole (in the piece
that doesn't have the countersinks) to prevent splitting. Other than
that, it's very easy. I haven't had any problems with the countersunk
piece splitting.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

What I like about the Kreg Jigs is that it has an opening to clear
chips out from drilling. I have a vermont american one as well, but
once again it has no adjustments for thicker wood.
sailor wrote:
I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

Posted to rec.woodworking

The only difference between this jig and the Kreg system is that it
includes a clap to hold the jig to the wood while you drill it. The
simplest Kreg jig,

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...?PRODUCT_ID=30

is the same thing without the clamp and this one can be used almost
any place. But if you want to get the exact same jig from Kreg

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...?PRODUCT_ID=65

And I think the Kreg is built better.

In all cases the pocke drilling angle never changes it's just that
some of these units come with a clamping system to hold the wood
against the drilling jig.

I am about to buy a pocket hole jig for occasional use, and have looked
at the Kreg kits, and saw this one, and wondered if anyone has
experience with it?
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2471

Also, what are the feelings between the 45 deg. and 90 deg. drill bits
and screws? Me thinks the 90 would hold better, and allow for slight
adjustment if needed.
Any opinions, based on usage?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Been a member here for 2 months and this is my first posting...

The Kreg jig listed above is one I've got and I get LOTS of use of it.
Normally runs about 20 bucks but I got it for 15 and it was worth it!!!

The insert/collar is a steel insert and the bit hasn't worn it out, nor
do I suspect it will. Pocket hole woodworking is very strong and fast.
Just search online for videos and you can see the demos on
www.kregtool.com as to the surprising abilities it has. Good luck!
BTW, sailor, you former Sailor?

Ward (Chief USN)

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Duff wrote:
Been a member here for 2 months and this is my first posting...

The Kreg jig listed above is one I've got and I get LOTS of use of it.
Normally runs about 20 bucks but I got it for 15 and it was worth it!!!

The insert/collar is a steel insert and the bit hasn't worn it out, nor
do I suspect it will. Pocket hole woodworking is very strong and fast.
Just search online for videos and you can see the demos on
www.kregtool.com as to the surprising abilities it has. Good luck!
BTW, sailor, you former Sailor?

Ward (Chief USN)

Former sailor (wind powered type) If I ever get to refit the old boat, I'll be a current sailor! I had it trucked to backyard, so there is no rush to save yard bills. While it is in the backyard, I found this group, and got more interested in woodworking. This group is fantastic for the novice. THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 10:08 am, wrote:
The only difference between this jig and the Kreg system is that it
includes a clap to hold the jig to the wood while you drill it. The
simplest Kreg jig,

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...?PRODUCT_ID=30

is the same thing without the clamp and this one can be used almost
any place. But if you want to get the exact same jig from Kreg

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...?PRODUCT_ID=65

And I think the Kreg is built better.

In all cases the pocke drilling angle never changes it's just that
some of these units come with a clamping system to hold the wood
against the drilling jig.

The drilling angle is different on some machines - Castle machines bore
at a shallower angle I believe, which lessens the tendency of the screw
to pull the parts out of alignment.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:

Former sailor (wind powered type) If I ever get to refit the old

boat, I'll be a current sailor! I had it trucked to backyard, so there
is no rush to save yard bills.

So what's in the back yard?

Where are you located?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
sailor wrote:

Former sailor (wind powered type) If I ever get to refit the old

boat, I'll be a current sailor! I had it trucked to backyard, so there
is no rush to save yard bills.

So what's in the back yard?

Where are you located?

Lew

My Bristol 35 sloop is in the Backyard, waiting for me to work on her.
And it's all this Groups fault! After finding the Group, I can't get
myself out of the shop!
I'm in SW Florida.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:

My Bristol 35 sloop is in the Backyard, waiting for me to work on her.

Nice boat. Since you are in FL, good thing she's got a centerboard.

BTW, have you found a list called "Yacht-L"?

There is a guy in Ft Myers who is on that list with me.

Lew