Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Axminster Pocket Hole Jig

Hi Chaps

http://tinyurl.com/79aob

Andy Hall wrote;
I've used the Kreg Professional one on which this seems to be based.

The technology behind it is quite good and you can get good results.
It looks as though the Axminster one has a solid cast base which is
important for alignment.

Hi Andy

Can the jig be used for joining a door rail to a style etc? In other words
a flat tee joint?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:03:10 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi Chaps

http://tinyurl.com/79aob

Andy Hall wrote;
I've used the Kreg Professional one on which this seems to be based.

The technology behind it is quite good and you can get good results.
It looks as though the Axminster one has a solid cast base which is
important for alignment.

Hi Andy

Can the jig be used for joining a door rail to a style etc? In other words
a flat tee joint?

Dave

I believe so, although I didn't do that operation. If you look on
the Kreg site, there is a whole bunch of information.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

I believe so, although I didn't do that operation. If you look on
the Kreg site, there is a whole bunch of information.

Do reckon the Axminster is a copy of the Kreg then? Looks similar, and
Axminster do tend to copy other stuff under their brand name.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:06:10 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I believe so, although I didn't do that operation. If you look on
the Kreg site, there is a whole bunch of information.

Do reckon the Axminster is a copy of the Kreg then? Looks similar, and
Axminster do tend to copy other stuff under their brand name.

Dave

I suppose that the devil is in the detail. The Kreg has a hardened
steel sleeve (to prevent the drill from nurging it). I can't see if
the Axminster one does. The Kreg has a cast base, while the
Axminster appears to have aluminium extruded sections fastened
together. I don't necessarily think that's a disadvantage though.
Obviously the key thing is sturdiness.

Kreg make various jigs, and AFAIK, were the originators of the
technology.

There are numerous copies around, including Wolfcraft and others. The
Axminster one seems to be roughly like the K2 which Axminster also
sells, although there is now a K3 with more bells and whistles. I
tried out the K2.

Another option you could look at is the Kreg Pro Pack. Rutlands have
these at £79.95 and there are more jig types, so perhaps broader
applicability?

With any of them, I think that more than one of the face clamps would
be needed for operations where they are used, but they are easily
available.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
www

The Kreg Jigs are designed very well and perform great.
I have used both the Kreg K2000 and the new K3 System.
You can read my reviews of both he

Kreg K2000 - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm
Kreg K3 System - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk3.htm

And yes, they can do flat T-shaped joints with no problem, and many other
types as well.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Veritas (LV) Medium Shoulder Plane
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System
- Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update)
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PhilC

"www" wrote in message
The Kreg Jigs are designed very well and perform great.
I have used both the Kreg K2000 and the new K3 System.
You can read my reviews of both he

Kreg K2000 - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm
Kreg K3 System - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk3.htm

And yes, they can do flat T-shaped joints with no problem, and many other
types as well.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski

I bought the Kreg K3 recently and have the DVD that was supplied - as yet
unviewed - if anyone would like copy email me

PhilC
rascas AT talktalk.net