Guillermo

Default 2" hole in a 3x2x1/8 rectangular tube

Hello,

I need to drill 4 2" holes in a 3x2x1/8 steel rectangular tube. I
bought a 2" bi-metal hole saw and managed to drill 1 hole and half of
the second one until the tips of the teeth were all flat. I went back
to the hardware store and I bought a "better" 2" bi-metal hole saw and
I was able to finish the second hole I have started and half of the
3rd one before the teeth were flat again.

I don't know what to do... Is there any better hole saw/technique to
do this properly? I need to drill one more hole now and finish the 3rd
one that I started.

Are bi-metal hole saw not the proper bit for this job? In the
instructions says that it should be ok to handle 1/8 thickness at 160
RPM.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Guillermo
Paul T.

Are you using cutting oil on the saw?

I've made many cuts similar to this, and I lube the saw liberally and
continuously with the heavy dark cutting oil I use on my mill for steel.

I also run the saw pretty slow, probably a lot slower than 160 rpm, and go
easy on the feed if you want the blade to last. I pull the blade up every
few seconds to clear out the swarf with an oil brush and re-lube it. I would
guess you're building up too much heat from the combination of no cutting
oil and spinning the saw too fast.

Its also possible that even the "better" bi-metal blade you bought is a
piece of junk from you know where. I only buy hole saws from name brand
suppliers, typically from MSC. I've never had a blade go dull yet, and I
don't use them every day but some of them have lots of cuts in steel on
them.

Good luck-

Paul T.

DanG

Look for Lennox, Morse, or Milwaukee. You do have a 1/4" lead bit
in the center of the arbor that holds the hole saw don't you?

are you in a drill press or freehand drill motor?

I suspect you are not giving it enough pressure and are just
spinning the teeth on the metal. It should be making chips.
Slow, steady pressure and make every effort to keep it running
flat without tipping. Are your 2" holes going all the way
through? You may do better by drilling all the way through with
just a 1/4" bit and then drilling from each face with the hole
saw/arbor/pilot bit combo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Guillermo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Peter Snell

Paul T. wrote:
Are you using cutting oil on the saw?

I've made many cuts similar to this, and I lube the saw liberally and
continuously with the heavy dark cutting oil I use on my mill for steel.

I also run the saw pretty slow, probably a lot slower than 160 rpm, and go
easy on the feed if you want the blade to last. I pull the blade up every
few seconds to clear out the swarf with an oil brush and re-lube it. I would
guess you're building up too much heat from the combination of no cutting
oil and spinning the saw too fast.

Its also possible that even the "better" bi-metal blade you bought is a
piece of junk from you know where. I only buy hole saws from name brand
suppliers, typically from MSC. I've never had a blade go dull yet, and I
don't use them every day but some of them have lots of cuts in steel on
them.

These are all important points, but one other thing you can do to help
things go a little smoother is the drill a couple of small holes on the
circumference of the hole to allow the chips to escape from the cut.
This helps a lot when using a holesaw on thicker (more than 1/8") material.
--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Roger Shoaf

"Guillermo" wrote in message
[...]

One technique to consider is a trammel cutter. This has a pilot bit and a
single point tool that you can sharpen and change the cutter geometry should
you need to.

On cuts like you are making these tools work well.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

williamhenry

the ultimate for these holes is an annular{spelling} cutter

hougen , jancy, dewalt and others make them

work great cut fast and last forever

Randy Zimmerman

Most other people have mentioned most of the potential problems. I have
found that using hole saws ( starrett brand ) on the side where the weld
seam is located is the kiss of death.
Randy