Jim Stewart

Default Shotgun part manufacture - magazine extension tube

Jon Oblad wrote:
I've recently acquired a Stoeger 2000 semi-auto shotgun, and notice
that no one makes a magazine extension for it. It would seem that if
I want one I'll have to have it made at a local metal working shop. I
know nothing about metal working except that this probably won't be
cheap. I can expect to pay about $60 an hour for such work, right?
Will it be easier/less expensive to ask that it be milled out from a
solid block of metal, or to have them weld a tube (cut from another
mag extension) onto an extra (drilled out) end cap? Perhaps some
other way? Any other tips, suggestions, warnings or information
greatly appreciated.

For those who might not know, a magazine extension is a screw-on tube
that replaces the end cap to a shotgun magazine. The tube makes the
total length of the shotgun magazine longer so that the shotgun has a
higher amunition capacity.
Here's a picture of a Choate tube, separate and attached to a shotgun.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J18F12127

My first thought would be to call Choate and see
if they can do a custom for you. It might be
cheaper as they would be set up for this kind of
work.

Otherwise it would seem to be a job for a gunsmith
rather than a general machine shop. Most of the
$60/hr machinists I've known want to work from a
blueprint, not build to fit.

Jon Oblad

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:45:16 GMT, Jim Stewart
wrote:

My first thought would be to call Choate and see
if they can do a custom for you. It might be
cheaper as they would be set up for this kind of
work.

That was my first thought, too. Fred Choate told me it wasn't
something that they do.

Otherwise it would seem to be a job for a gunsmith
rather than a general machine shop.

None of the gunsmiths in the Seattle area that I talked to seemed
interested in doing this, unfortunately.

Most of the
$60/hr machinists I've known want to work from a
blueprint, not build to fit.

This is a completely uninformed opinion, but I was thinking that this
might be a feasable way to manufacture this part:

1) Buy a new Stoeger 2000 magazine cap.
2) Buy a new mag extension for another shotgun.
3) Drill a hole through the solid end of the magazine cap, same
diameter as i.d. of mag tube of shotgun.
4) Cut tube portion off of magazine extension for another shotgun.
5) Weld 3) to 4).

Then it seems that all you'd have to do would be to make sure the
bored through mag cap and the tube were parallel and then the inner
parts were properly smoothed down. Would that work, and be simple and
easy to do?

- Jon Oblad

Gunner

On 20 Jan 2004 18:46:31 -0800, (Jon Oblad) wrote:

[...]

Its basiclly a Benelli Montefeltro, recoil operated, with the recoil
spring around the magazine tube. I think, personally, Id go with the
screw on extension and a nice clean coupler that keeps both original and
extension tube together with little or no gap between them that the New
magazine spring and follower you will need will not hang up in.

All you need is a piece of tubing the same size or a smidge larger than
the base tube, a coupler threaded on one end, a thread on the other end
fo the tube for a cap and depending on how many extra rounds you plan on
extending it to..another magazine tube clamp for out on the end. Thats a
lot of leverage hanging out there. Id use steel, not aluminum for the
tube and coupler.

Measure the thread on the stock tube, have it duplicated on one end,
inside a chunk of steel no bigger in diameter than the original cap,
Pick up a magazine tube from Numrich Arms
http://www.e-gunparts.com/

and silver solder it into the other end of the coupler. You may either
thread the end of the tube for the cap, or simply close it off with a
plug, silver soldered in. (which is what Id do..simply plug the end of
the extension tube)

Making a Tactical rig?

Gunner

"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone
with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later
convinces himself."
David Friedman
Gunner

wrote:

Jon Oblad wrote:
[...]

Good idea. Particularly since its gonna be metric

Gunner

"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone
with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later
convinces himself."
David Friedman

Stan Schaefer

(Jon Oblad) wrote in message om...
[...]

Find a magazine cap that fits, bore out the end and silver braze a
chunk of magazine tube to it that fits. Alternative, get a Choate
extension, cut off the nut and braze that extension into your cap. Get
an extension spring from Chaote or wind one yourself. That said, are
you sure that your shell stops are up to the task? Some are just
stamped sheet metal and are adequate for three or four shells in the
tube but may fail eventually with more in the tube. First contact
Choate, your magazine tube threads might be something that matches
another gun model that they already have in stock.

Stan

Jon Oblad

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:13:16 GMT, "Tony"
wrote:

I would think your gonna need a longer spring too.

Tony

Mag springs aren't a problem. A million different companies make
them.

- Jon Oblad

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

That is truly an excellent idea. How long do you think it will take
to make one (thus affecting price)?

No idea. If the shop has a tap with the right thread..an hour or two. If
they have to single point it..longer. This might be something one of the
lads here might consider doing, for fun and at half price. Shrug

How does one decide on the proper spring, to replace the shorter
one? Say if one were going from a three shell tube, to a five
or six?

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[ ... ]

How does one decide on the proper spring, to replace the shorter
one? Say if one were going from a three shell tube, to a five
or six?

I would think that one would measure the diameter of the wire,
and the dimensions of the spring, then make one with twice the number of
turns in twice the length. (And you would also need to make the tube
enough longer to accept the difference in the fully-compressed length as
well.

To be sure -- measure the force needed to compress each at the
half-way point between the fully extended and fully compressed lengths,
and check that these are similar. Also -- check the force needed to
compress one shell's length from the normal empty length on each, and
make sure that they are close.

It may be that the springs used are some kind of progressive
spring, where as it gets shorter, there are more adjacent turns
touching, so it requires more force to compress the next increment, but
I doubt it. That would not make sense to me for its function. If there
were a way to do the inverse -- so it applied the same force throughout
its compression range, that would be better -- but I know of no way to
do that with a real spring -- though a gas spring might be set up to do
something close to that.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Tony

Actually you might find it cheaper to buy another shotgun with what you want
or that has aftermarket stuff readily available. Something like a Mossberg
or Remington. Unless you have your own shop and its a "Labor of Love".

Tony

wrote:

I would think your gonna need a longer spring too.

Tony

Mag springs aren't a problem. A million different companies make
them.

- Jon Oblad

Peter T. Keillor III

On 22 Jan 2004 20:03:12 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I once had a 35 round clip for my mini-14 kind of like that. The two
springs worked like a tape measure, rolled up in the follower. It had
pretty constant tension. This may not have been that good of an idea
because of the extra drag of that many cartridges when fully loaded,
but it was easy to load and functioned well (plus a lot of fun to
unload).

Pete Keillor
Jon Oblad

On 22 Jan 2004 20:03:12 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The replacement springs that come with mag extension tubes aren't
nearly that complicated. Just a longer version of the original is how
companies like Choate, TacStar etc. seem to do it.

- Jon Oblad

Jon Oblad

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:49:05 GMT, "Tony"
wrote:

Actually you might find it cheaper to buy another shotgun with what you want
or that has aftermarket stuff readily available. Something like a Mossberg
or Remington. Unless you have your own shop and its a "Labor of Love".

Tony

I've considered that, but this is actually probably the cheapest way
to get what I'm looking for.

- Jon Oblad

Jon Oblad

Gunner wrote in message . ..

This might be something one of the lads here might consider doing, for fun

If anyone is indeed interested in this type of project, I live near
Seattle. Contact me here or through email.

I'll be sure to update if anything interesting happens. Thanks to
everyone for all of the help and excellent ideas!

- Jon Oblad